autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oldie Clay Bar Question !!

Well, I'm sure this has been asked before but : I have a 2008 Taurus since it was new and never used clay on it. In fact I never heard of claying until a few weeks ago !! I have always taken very good care of it as far as maintenance and washing but thought I would give the clay bar a go. I purchased the Mothers California Gold recommended by the Parts store. I used plenty of lubricant and clayed the whole car but the bar didn't seem as if it picked up much at all. Is that possible after 12 Years or did I not do it correctly?? By the way I'm a noobie and an OLDIE -- 72 ! Sorry if the question is STUPID !! (I have ordered a DA Polisher that I'm going to try also.) My 2008 Taurus has 53,000 miles on it and my wifes 2009 Sante Fe has 24,000 miles. Going to try the polisher on both .. Thanks Guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oldie Clay Bar Question !!

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGus View Post
    Well, I'm sure this has been asked before but : I have a 2008 Taurus since it was new and never used clay on it. In fact I never heard of claying until a few weeks ago !! I have always taken very good care of it as far as maintenance and washing but thought I would give the clay bar a go. I purchased the Mothers California Gold recommended by the Parts store. I used plenty of lubricant and clayed the whole car but the bar didn't seem as if it picked up much at all. Is that possible after 12 Years or did I not do it correctly?? By the way I'm a noobie and an OLDIE -- 72 ! Sorry if the question is STUPID !! (I have ordered a DA Polisher that I'm going to try also.) My 2008 Taurus has 53,000 miles on it and my wifes 2009 Sante Fe has 24,000 miles. Going to try the polisher on both .. Thanks Guys
    Did you do a baggie test before & after the clay?

And welcome to AGO, Gus!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Did you do a baggie test before & after the clay?

And welcome to AGO, Gus!
    Thank you for the Welcome Paul , I did the baggie before and it felt slightly bumpy- after was better ! I guess I'm going by nothing very noticeable on the Clay !! Thought maybe I needed a different clay !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGus View Post
    Thank you for the Welcome Paul , I did the baggie before and it felt slightly bumpy- after was better ! I guess I'm going by nothing very noticeable on the Clay !! Thought maybe I needed a different clay !!
    If the paint is clean (from grime, dirt, etc.) you might not notice the clay getting black or dirty. Not very much anyway.

It IS however abrading away bonded contaminates. (Hence the paint feeling a bit smoother).

Before trying a more aggressive clay, try several passes with the clay you have. (Constantly folding/kneading as you go). And use plenty of good lube. Check the results then.

Post Thanks / Like

For me the clay towels are much easier to work with than the old clay bars. Black Fire has a good one for not much money. Using a clay bar is tedious and if you drop it it’s trash. With a clay towel you just wash it off if you drop it.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    For me the clay towels are much easier to work with than the old clay bars. Black Fire has a good one for not much money. Using a clay bar is tedious and if you drop it it’s trash. With a clay towel you just wash it off if you drop it.
    Absolutely.

Yet another mind-spinner, Gus.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Many Thanks for your reply - The Clay Towel looks like a time saver and would definitely be worth a try !!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Absolutely.

Yet another mind-spinner, Gus.
    Absolutely - I have been spinning a lot lately !!