autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

303 vs Hyper Dressing

Which product do you prefer for the engine bay and why? Does Hyper Dressing offer any level of plastic and rubber protection?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 303 vs Hyper Dressing

I always like Hyper Dressing at 4:1 for engine bays. Nice gloss look that is not overly greasy. Both 303 and Hyper Dressing should offer some protection.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

3. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I've only used 303 previously and Sonus Motokote. I ordered a gallon of Hyper Dressing and will be trying it out this weekend. I'm trying to stick with one product. I like that you can dilute HD. I just wasn't sure if it had any rubber/plastic protection ability. 303's claim to fame is UV protection, but I'm not concerned about that under the hood. Being both are water based I know that durability is minimal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    I always like Hyper Dressing at 4:1 for engine bays. Nice gloss look that is not overly greasy. Both 303 and Hyper Dressing should offer some protection.
    Pat, does HD leave a tacky finish behind, even at 4:1? Someone told me is a bit sticky and draws dirt/dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    Pat, does HD leave a tacky finish behind, even at 4:1? Someone told me is a bit sticky and draws dirt/dust.
    Curious about your opinions, please post back with your results.

I have been entertaining the thoughts of buying it for 4 years but the gallon size scares me away.
    All I would use it for is an engine or 2 every couple of years.

7. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    Curious about your opinions, please post back with your results.

I have been entertaining the thoughts of buying it for 4 years but the gallon size scares me away.
    All I would use it for is an engine or 2 every couple of years.
    I just sprayed down the engine with a 3:1 ratio. I wanted to do a 4:1 but the bottle I had wasn't big enough. As soon as it dries I'll let you know. I also have a bottle of Polish Angel Engine I'm going to try. If the Hyper Dressing works out well, I'll likely use that. Much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I use HD on engines, tires and wheel liners. I use 303 on other interior and exterior plastics and rubber. HD is far less expensive and I think it does best when lightly sprayed on and left to migrate. I would not leave it on interior plastic and it is not very practical to spray so much on other exterior areas. It leaves a slight film but it also washes off very easily. To me, this is good as it makes those areas easy to clean. I use it at 4:1 for a more matte look and 2:1 when I want some gloss. I little goes a long way. HD seems to have this magical property and migrates to surrounding plastic and rubber. Just a light mist on engine parts and walk away.

10. Likes CleanIT, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    Not at all. I have even used it at 4:1 on interiors.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

12. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    I use HD on engines, tires and wheel liners. I use 303 on other interior and exterior plastics and rubber. HD is far less expensive and I think it does best when lightly sprayed on and left to migrate. I would not leave it on interior plastic and it is not very practical to spray so much on other exterior areas. It leaves a slight film but it also washes off very easily. To me, this is good as it makes those areas easy to clean. I use it at 4:1 for a more matte look and 2:1 when I want some gloss. I little goes a long way. HD seems to have this magical property and migrates to surrounding plastic and rubber. Just a light mist on engine parts and walk away.
    So last night I used it for the first time and I couldn't agree with you more. Of all the dressings I've used (303/Sonus Motorkote), Hyper Dressing lays the best. I would only use a 4:1 (I'm even thinking 5:1 next) as anything more is much too glossy for my taste. Unless you're detailing the engine by hand (I may try Polish Angel Engine), I think Hyper is the way to go. 303 isn't really going to offer more protection under the hood IMO. On plastic interior surfaces, it will due to the higher UV protection, but under the engine it's just another water-based dressing.

I guess you can look at durability two ways - having it come off easy is good as you said because it makes those areas easy to clean. For more durability I think something like Polish Angel Engine would be best because it contains oils, which nourish the plastics and rubber. Sonus would also likely hold up a bit better but I wasn't too impressed with Sonus.

Here is my engine with MGHD at 4:1

303 vs Hyper Dressing-img_4396-jpg

303 vs Hyper Dressing-img_4401-jpg

303 vs Hyper Dressing-img_4397-jpg

303 vs Hyper Dressing-img_4399-jpg

303 vs Hyper Dressing-img_4402-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, Hyperdressing is the superstar of the dressings IMO. It works amazing no matter what dilution you use it at and it's very inexpensive. I used to dilute it 4:1 but latelly I have upgraded it to 3:1. Most people like shiny plastic, so at 3:1 it 's more of a gloss than satin look.

Anyway, never noticed any tackiness once fully dried. It may take a day or so, not sure how long it takes. It is tacky when it starts to dry but I use it on all the interiors, including my own vehicles and I never noticed it being tacky the next day after it was applied. For engines, it must dry even faster because of the heat of the engine.

15. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast