autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for anyone who's used both CSL & EVO V4, but on their own

I'm about to re-start my detailing business, and I'm working on my product line up. I've decided on going with Gtechniq for my coatings, but I have a question about CSL and EXO V4. The price is close, but looking at the product compare chart on Gtechniq's web site. CSL's the same or better everywhere except water and dirt repellency. Where EXO's rated 5 stars where CSL's 2 stars. I plan to offer 2 packages, one with both and one with just one. I'm looking for feedback from someone who's used both on their own and can comment on the dirt/water thing between the 2. I'm also all ears if anyone has a different coating suggestion all together, but my one requirement since I'm mobile. It needs to have a minimal to no waiting time between layers. Something like an hour's fine since that's about how long it would take for me to finish the 1st coating, so there wouldn't be much if any waiting time. But something like 4 hours between CQuartz UK and topping it with Gliss would be a no go. And for my cheaper coating package, I want it to be to something single layer like CSL. All my research has lead me to feel CSL+EVO V4 would be the best combo, still not sure about the single layer option. And like I said, I'm not 100% sold on anything. And whatever I go with, I want a topper like C2V3 or Reload, basically whatever goes with the brand.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for anyone who's used both CSL & EVO V4, but on their own

I actually have CSL and Exo V3 on one of my cars. I purposely left some areas with just CSL. One thing about GTechniq is their ease of application. CSL is ok in the self cleaning aspect. It is not the most hydrophobic surface. Exo is what takes it up a notch. I have seen it mentioned in the ceramic coating facebook group which is formerly the GTechniq group that the GTechniq reps mention a wait time of 4 hours minimum between CSL and Exo which contradicts the instructions.

As far as cquartz, you don't need Gliss. That is still optional. You are correct that the wait time between coats of CQUK or TiO2 is 45 min to 1 hour. CarPro recommends two coats but you would be fine with one solid coat. CQUK 3.0 is definitely more hydrophobic than CSL and has a better self cleaning effect than Exo.

CarPro recently released Cquartz Lite which would make a good option for an entry level coating. Easy application and again one coat would be fine.

Here is my review on CQ Lite

Review - CarPro Cquartz Lite

You would be fine with either brand option. I almost forgot the slickness nod goes to CSL and Exo.

3. Thanks JWilliams.RadiantDetail thanked for this post
    Likes JWilliams.RadiantDetail liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used both CSL and EXO v.4. They are EXCELLENT coatings. I followed the package directions and applied EXO immediately after the CSL app. No problems.

Superb hydrophobicity and dirt/water repellency. They market the EXO to be the water spot preventer and it does that extremely well.

My car stays cleaner between washes and I would guess your customers will notice that too.

I haven't tried JUST CSL as a stand alone coating so can't offer anything on that.

5. Thanks JWilliams.RadiantDetail thanked for this post
    Likes JWilliams.RadiantDetail, bsw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First time I tried CSL did so with no EXO, just CSL topped with Gtechniq C2V3...wouldn't stay nice looking after a rain, (easily removed) water spots. To be honest, it got better 2 or so months in, likely when the C2V3 wore off. CSL seems to not have the greatest water behavior on it's own, kinda more hydrophillic than hydrophobic, a la' Gyeon Mohs. After another month or two rubbed some Gyeon CanCoat on it and it was a very nice combo going forward.

Tried the CSL + EXOV4 last winter; water behavior much improved but it seems to hold road grime more than some other stuff I've used; saw the vehicle I used it on yesterday and the hood, while looking 'OK' had a barely discernable film of road grime on it despite some heavy rains recently. I'd prefer Cquartz UK 3.0 over the Gtechniq stuff but perhaps that's just me...YMMV.

7. Thanks JWilliams.RadiantDetail thanked for this post
    Likes JWilliams.RadiantDetail liked this post
    Super Member JWilliams.RadiantDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

awesome thanks for the replies everyone, I have a couple last questions. Gtechniq talks about ambient conditions for applying CSL. Now, I went to California public school, so some of my knowledge is skewed. My 10th grade science teacher explained to us that if it's 100 degrees outside, even if you're in the shade and it feels cooler, it's still 100. Gtechniq says a max of 77f for application. If it's 100, even under a canopy with no direct sunlight, the ambient would still be way too high right? I don't fully understand the science-y stuff here. But if the paint is cool to the touch, but but the ambient air temp is a lot higher than 77, it's not optimum conditions. UK says working conditions up to 100f, which is a lot better for So Cal summer. The more I read, maybe I should go Cquartz

Which leads me to my other question, I Googled and didn't find much. UK 3.0, 1 layer vs 2. Would 1 layer topped with Reload or C2V3 be glossier than 2 layers? And 1 vs 2, how much longer would 2 layers last? I am trying to figure out how much of a difference it would make, to see if I should offer a coating package with 2 layers of UK. CarPro recommends 2 layers, but don't touch on the durability difference. And while it's pretty pointless, I just noticed and love the adorable little 100ml Reload bottles that come with the UK 3.0 kits lol.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j.williams@perpetualradiance View Post
    awesome thanks for the replies everyone, I have a couple last questions. Gtechniq talks about ambient conditions for applying CSL. Now, I went to California public school, so some of my knowledge is skewed. My 10th grade science teacher explained to us that if it's 100 degrees outside, even if you're in the shade and it feels cooler, it's still 100. Gtechniq says a max of 77f for application. If it's 100, even under a canopy with no direct sunlight, the ambient would still be way too high right? I don't fully understand the science-y stuff here. But if the paint is cool to the touch, but but the ambient air temp is a lot higher than 77, it's not optimum conditions. UK says working conditions up to 100f, which is a lot better for So Cal summer. The more I read, maybe I should go Cquartz

Which leads me to my other question, I Googled and didn't find much. UK 3.0, 1 layer vs 2. Would 1 layer topped with Reload or C2V3 be glossier than 2 layers? And 1 vs 2, how much longer would 2 layers last? I am trying to figure out how much of a difference it would make, to see if I should offer a coating package with 2 layers of UK. CarPro recommends 2 layers, but don't touch on the durability difference. And while it's pretty pointless, I just noticed and love the adorable little 100ml Reload bottles that come with the UK 3.0 kits lol.
    I'm in Alabama and I use CSL well over 77deg. The flash time is drastically reduced, that's the only thing I've noticed. Exo still easy to apply.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j.williams@perpetualradiance View Post

I had no issues applying CSL and Exo in mid to high 70's So cal weather. I even applied CQUK 3.0 with a temp of 90 degrees in the garage and high humidity for my area with no issues.

The only time I had issues with Cquartz was with TiO2 aka Classic when the temperature dropped.

It really is not a long wait time to apply a second coat of either cquartz coating. You should be ready or close to the 45 min to 1 hour by the time you finish up the first coat. As I mentioned Cquartz Lite is a new option for an entry level coating.

With regards to the toppers, I am not a fan of either one. C2v3 caused water spotting issues for me and I am glad I did not use it on the paint of my other car that has CSL + Exo. Reload is not that durable and it just seems to lose it's umph so to speak after a couple of washes. It becomes more hydrophilic than hydrophobic when it is first applied. I can see why it helps with not spotting as it tends to sheet more.

I would choose CarPro Elixir over Reload when it comes to a maintenance product. The only downside is Elixir can not be used like Reload if one chooses to apply Reload after the coating install.

Lets go back to the gloss aspect. The majority of the gloss is going to come from the polishing step.

11. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just applied CSL this week in the garage with temps already at 85 degrees at 5:30 AM and high humidity. No issues at all. I typically top my CSL packages with a coat of C2V3. Recently I have been doing a final wipedown with Beadmaker. Here is a Bentley that was done this week with this combo.

I find that CQ UK 3.0 has a more gloss than CSL but the ease of application goes to CSL.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I've never applied GTech CSl or EXO in temps under 80. Last app was 92 degrees. No issues.