autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Hyper Dressing

I ordered a gallon of the MGHD. It's the only engine dressing I have not tried. After reading most of the reviews about it, I think it will be my go to for engine bay and exterior plastic trim. 303 and Sonus Motorkote are the other products I've been using over the last several years. Both work well, but I like that I can use MGHD on everything and the way it lays on surfaces. Additionally you can dilute it to different ratios. I know the durability is not on par with Sonus or 303, but it should be good enough. Honestly, I never felt any of the products I've used last or "condition" as well as they claim. Therefore it becomes a matter of what is the easiest to use and still look great.

The one question I had is how to apply it to the engine. Do you spray it on after you clean/rinse the engine while it is still wet? Or do you dry it, then apply it?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars Hyper Dressing

after i wash/clean the engine, i blow dry it and then use a water based dressing with the spray nozzle turned to the widest mist setting (apply thin coat and not over saturate) so every little bit gets in and dressed. after it dries you can use a blower to blow out any residual dressing and then light wipe down if necessary...

3. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mist is onto a dry engine. You don't need to coat everything completely, it seems like Hyper Dressing has some magical properties and migrates around what it is applied to. I use it on tires and the engine. I just mist it on and let it sit overnight.

The less you dilute the product the more glossy it will be. I use 3:1 or 4:1 normally but will use 2:1 if I feel like more gloss. I'd recommend starting with 4:1 (4 parts water, 1 part product).

Edit: In the engine compartment I will sometimes wipe down a hose or two, for example, the radiator hose as sometimes they can be a bit shiny or at least look like they have product on them.

Personally,m HD is my go to for tires. IMHO, gels and gel like products stay longer but this is also part of the problem. People apply and apply them and they just cake onto the tire. They last longer as the don't easily wash off. So people use harsh chemicals to remove them. This strips the tire. To me, it is much easier to simply mist on some HD after a wash and let it sit. When it comes time to wash, the HD (and all of the crude) just washes right off. You can actually see it bead off the tire when washing.

5. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    Mist is onto a dry engine. You don't need to coat everything completely, it seems like Hyper Dressing has some magical properties and migrates around what it is applied to. I use it on tires and the engine. I just mist it on and let it sit overnight.

The less you dilute the product the more glossy it will be. I use 3:1 or 4:1 normally but will use 2:1 if I feel like more gloss. I'd recommend starting with 4:1 (4 parts water, 1 part product).

Edit: In the engine compartment I will sometimes wipe down a hose or two, for example, the radiator hose as sometimes they can be a bit shiny or at least look like they have product on them.

Personally,m HD is my go to for tires. IMHO, gels and gel like products stay longer but this is also part of the problem. People apply and apply them and they just cake onto the tire. They last longer as the don't easily wash off. So people use harsh chemicals to remove them. This strips the tire. To me, it is much easier to simply mist on some HD after a wash and let it sit. When it comes time to wash, the HD (and all of the crude) just washes right off. You can actually see it bead off the tire when washing.
    Thank you that is a big help. I will take your advice. I feel the same about it. Despite it not being as "durable" it makes up for it with its ease of application from what I have read. That is a big plus to me.

7. Likes huffer24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do the same, let the engine dry first then use the mist setting and hold it well above the engine so it rains down on it. The HD seems to spread it self out really well. Very few times do I wipe it at all.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

9. Likes CleanIT, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read the only negative thing about MGHD is the durability. Otherwise it seems like the best overall product for engine bays.

Post Thanks / Like

I just saw this video this morning. You can see in there how he uses Hyper Dressing. Doesn't mean it's the only way to use it but seems to work well that way.

Bruno Soares

12. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice. I'll likely apply it that way and just spray it down when the engine is wet. The way I have always done it in the past is - clean engine - leaf blow dry - go for a drive to get engine hot to dry off remaining water - then apply 303 or Sonus. I like this this method better. I'm curious how it turns out spraying Hyper on a wet vs dry engine....

Post Thanks / Like

Really like MGHD. Not only is it extremely easy to apply, it lays incredibly well and lasts longer than I thought it would.

3.5 weeks...

Meguiars Hyper Dressing-update-jpg

Meguiars Hyper Dressing-img_4462-2-jpg

15. Likes SWETM, DFB, SANTA3013, Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also a great product for wheel wells. If they're not too dirty and you don't feel like washing them, spray the HD on, it darkens them up nicely, done.

17. Likes SANTA3013, CleanIT, Eldorado2k liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast