autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Etching From Calipers

So I noticed what looks to be etching on my calipers, more specifically the caliper hats. It's been there since I got the vehicle a couple months ago. It has a white hue to it. I cant seem to find much online about how to remove it. I figure I'll have to take the wheel off to get to it. Any product suggestions? The caliper hat is originally flat black.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing Etching From Calipers-20190820_114531-jpg  
    Last edited by RedheadDetailing; 08-20-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Forgot a few things

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Etching From Calipers

IMO:
    •Since the tire/wheel assemblies are
    going to have to be removed to get
    at the hats...Afterwards:

-properly prepping; then finishing
    the hats (such as painting them) to
    your specs; might be the best remedy
    for the long term.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

3. Likes RedheadDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would just paint them with G2 or VHT brake caliper paint.

5. Likes RedheadDetailing liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gonna go with the G2 I think. What about maintenance after painting? It's a 16 Challenger Hellcat, so the brake dust is unreal lol. Factory coated black rims. I was thinking along the lines of Meg's non acidic wheel brightener. Standard wheel brush to hit the barrels and a boars hair brush to hit the face.

Post Thanks / Like

I would get the calipers and rims ceramic coated. Carpro Dlux or Gyeon Rim or Gtechnic C5 Wheel Armor is tried and proved coatings with a year of solid protection and behavior. So doing the wheels off once a year is reasonable too I think. If you have the plastic wheel wells you can put Dlux on those too. And if you go with with of the others you have Gyeon Trim or Gtechnic C4.

The maintance and haveing the wheels and calipers and wheel wells looking great is so easy after you do this. On the wheels I like to use a wheel cleaner even when they are coated. Just so if I get some iron particals and brake dust build up a little it's easy to be desolved by this. Some just use the car soap or rinseless wash or waterless wash that they are cleaning the rest of the car with. But either way use a separate wheel bucket so you don't get any old residue of iron particals and brake dust in the wash bucket or wash media.

I know that it can be a bit pricey but these tools holds up great. And if you take care of them thoroughly with rinsing them out and store them good Wheel Woolies is awesome tools to use on the black wheels you have. At least the WW Boar's Hair Wheel Brush for the faces of the wheels. The smaller WW Boar's Hair Brush that's like a pensel on the luggnuts if the bigger one don't reach in there. Wheel Woolies Spoke Wheel Brush 18" is great to reach behind the spokes and wheel barrels. Some like the EZ Detail Brush on the wheel barrels or the Speed Master one. EZ Detail has a stiffer handel brush that is awesome on the wheel wells not sold on AGO though sadly. Mothers has one for the wheel wells that works great too. It's a lot of brushes and some use mf towels and wash mitts and other tools. This I linked for you is top notch and worth it in the longrun and you get used fast to use them and they are effective with a wheel cleaner and a car soap in the wheel bucket. Since I get the Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus very cheap domestic it's the one I use even for maintance as it's gentle and still effective on the wheels. The Meguiars Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner is a great option as some others is too. I like the bleeding wheel cleaners but some have been liking the P&S Brake Buster lately which could also be an option to try out.

Wheel Woolies Boar?s Hair Wheel Brush

Wheel Woolies Boar?s Hair Detail Brush 1 inch

Wheel Woolie Spoke Wheel Brush - 18 Inch

The EZ Detail Brush is a safe, no scratch wash tool for your bike or vehicle.

Speed Master Wheel Brush

https://www.autogeek.net/mothers-fender-well-brush.html

Here you have a kit that seems nice.

https://www.autogeek.net/wheel-woolie-main-kit.html

The Tuf Shine tire brush is awesome when you need to be deep clean the tires. Use a softer bristle brush if you go with the tire coating from them or any other as to make the coating to last. Otherwise the Tuf Shine tire brush is used when I have tire dressing on and refresh them more often to make them look great.

https://www.autogeek.net/tuf-shine-t...rance-kit.html

https://www.autogeek.net/tuf-shine-tire-brush.html

And this is when your repaint of your calipers is done and outgased. So it's a thorough maintance after that. But gets easier to maintain the wheels and wheel wells with ceramic coatings on them and good tools to get to them. Many times you can just wash them as the paint with car soap. But every 2-4 wash is good to get them real clean. I just use the prewash foam and PW clean rinsing it off between the deeper cleans on the wheels and wheel wells. So it's how you will be doing them. And can be a difference if it's a DD or a garage queen. But it's crazy how much easier to maintain them they gets with great protection and great tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RedheadDetailing View Post
    What about maintenance after painting?

It's a 16 Challenger Hellcat, so the brake
    dust is unreal lol. Factory coated black rims.
    ”First things first”

Z26 Extreme Performance New Formulation Brake Pads | Power Stop

Afterwards: Maintenance is eazy-peazy!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti