autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic Coating

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ceramic Coating

Hello,

There is a company near who does very high end cars and is established as a reputable place. I have a 2018 Camaro SS which I requested a quote on for their Level 3 Ceracmic Coating on the car and glass. It also has some light swirls and factory stuff which they would first correct and then coat. Single stage correction is quoted at 800 and the Level 3 Coating (3 layers estimating lasting about 6 years since I only travel 2500 miles a year) at 1500. Is this reasonable or a good price?

in the past 2 years I’ve spent a ton of money on Adams products and honestly disappointed. I’ve laid down a layer of their paint sealant, 2 layers of ceramic wax coating, every 4 washes I use the Ceramic boost after drying. To top it off I use only their soap with the hose attached foam sprayer, their softest towels for each portion of the job. I still have swirls and over all I just feel big waste of money.

What do you all think? Company’s name is Esoteric.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic Coating

Esoteric in Ohio? They're legit, super legit. You'll be in good hands, their work is worth the price. (if it is the Esoteric)
    Back to the full-time grind.

3. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have purchased many things from Esoteric but have never been there or seen there work in person. Here work does look very high caliber online though. Todd is very well respected in the detailing community. I’m sure BudgetPlan1 could share some of his opinions about the shop because he’s been there.
    The price you were quoted actually sounds quite low to me. I live in the SF Bay Area and I work out of my garage and am mobile as well and those prices are similar to what I would charge.
    It really all comes down to what you want. Do you want to have a perfect canvas so you only have to maintain it or do you want to try to polish your car out yourself and ceramic coat it? There will be an investment of around $500 for you to get a polisher, pads, MF’s, Polish/compounds, paint prep spray, coating of your choice. Good thing about the DIY way is you’ll be able to polish whenever you feel your paint needs it.

Post Thanks / Like

Tough to tell you which way to go? You'll get a different opinion with possibly every member who responds.

I know Adam's products aren't sold here I believe, but I have a son of a friend who owns a 2013 Summit White Camaro (I think ZL1) with the factory blower, and he says he loves Adam's stuff.

Although like many things, if you've not sampled many other products that are out there, and have good experience with what's available today, it is sort of hard to place a definitive "gauge" of how well these, and other products actually work, and protect?

I'm not about to slam their products because I've never used any of them myself, so there you have it.

I did his car last fall with Collinite #845 Insulator Wax, and he was wowed. I applied, and he removed.

2500 miles a year is not a lot, but then again depends upon the weather and conditions it's driven in, possible snow and salts? And also, if it is garage kept, I'll maybe assume it is.

With that being said, maybe such an expense spent on a professional applied coating, while cool, is not very cost effective for one, and is it absolutely necessary, and vital? I might be inclined to say no.

I might say for less than half the cost of the lesser option you mention, you could buy all the needed tools and products, and simply apply a very durable Wax or Sealant?

I'd assume being a 2018 model, the swirling and defect you see are very minor. Meaning, DA, 5" backing plate, and two correction products, possibly Wolfgang Swirl Remover, and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.

Then onto something like Collinite #476 or #845 for a durable hybrid wax-sealant, or Sonax Polymer Net Shield Sealant (PNS) for a very durable Sealant.

Other money saved could be put towards some good wash products and tools to maintain. Or other accessories for the car?

Just some brain farts, hope you haven't minded.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Esoteric in Ohio? They're legit, super legit. You'll be in good hands, their work is worth the price. (if it is the Esoteric)

Yes, thats them! They are about 2 hours away from me. Seem very good heard nothing but good things. The guy I talked to was informative. It’s funny he sent me a video of how to properly clean the car and it was very different from Adams make you think who to trust.

7. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    I have purchased many things from Esoteric but have never been there or seen there work in person. Here work does look very high caliber online though. Todd is very well respected in the detailing community. I’m sure BudgetPlan1 could share some of his opinions about the shop because he’s been there.
    The price you were quoted actually sounds quite low to me. I live in the SF Bay Area and I work out of my garage and am mobile as well and those prices are similar to what I would charge.
    It really all comes down to what you want. Do you want to have a perfect canvas so you only have to maintain it or do you want to try to polish your car out yourself and ceramic coat it? There will be an investment of around $500 for you to get a polisher, pads, MF’s, Polish/compounds, paint prep spray, coating of your choice. Good thing about the DIY way is you’ll be able to polish whenever you feel your paint needs it.
    Yeah that’s the thing. I just want to wash and maintain it. I’ve never been an expert and never will be so anything that involves cutting/polishing and likewise I’d like to leave to you professionals.

I was also quoted 5400 to wrap the car in expel basically everything but the roof doors and trunk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Tough to tell you which way to go? You'll get a different opinion with possibly every member who responds.

I know Adam's products aren't sold here I believe, but I have a son of a friend who owns a 2013 Summit White Camaro (I think ZL1) with the factory blower, and he says he loves Adam's stuff.

Although like many things, if you've not sampled many other products that are out there, and have good experience with what's available today, it is sort of hard to place a definitive "gauge" of how well these, and other products actually work, and protect?

I'm not about to slam their products because I've never used any of them myself, so there you have it.

I did his car last fall with Collinite #845 Insulator Wax, and he was wowed. I applied, and he removed.

2500 miles a year is not a lot, but then again depends upon the weather and conditions it's driven in, possible snow and salts? And also, if it is garage kept, I'll maybe assume it is.

With that being said, maybe such an expense spent on a professional applied coating, while cool, is not very cost effective for one, and is it absolutely necessary, and vital? I might be inclined to say no.

I might say for less than half the cost of the lesser option you mention, you could buy all the needed tools and products, and simply apply a very durable Wax or Sealant?

I'd assume being a 2018 model, the swirling and defect you see are very minor. Meaning, DA, 5" backing plate, and two correction products, possibly Wolfgang Swirl Remover, and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze.

Then onto something like Collinite #476 or #845 for a durable hybrid wax-sealant, or Sonax Polymer Net Shield Sealant (PNS) for a very durable Sealant.

Other money saved could be put towards some good wash products and tools to maintain. Or other accessories for the car?

Just some brain farts, hope you haven't minded.
    Haha this is why I’m probably just going to have Esoteric do it next year. All those products and stuff was like reading Chinese. I mean I get it but I’d hate to hit my car with a polisher when I’ve never done any of this before. All I know is that I used the best sealant and ceramic based wax Adams has. I followed up with brilliant glaze from them buffed out with their recommended towel. All washes was with their best soap, foam gun, wash pad, and dried with their most expensive towel 2 of them. Then every 4 washes I use their Ceramic Boost as an added layer to the wax that’s suppose to last 9 months since I only drive 2k miles a year. So I don’t know what else to do to avoid swirls I’ve literally spent hundreds on their stuff. And it’s not like their highest end stuff even protects against water spotting. If it rains over night and warms by morning I have water spots that I can still see even after washing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigTone View Post
    in the past 2 years I’ve spent a ton of money on Adams products and honestly disappointed. I’ve laid down a layer of their paint sealant, 2 layers of ceramic wax coating, every 4 washes I use the Ceramic boost after drying. To top it off I use only their soap with the hose attached foam sprayer, their softest towels for each portion of the job. I still have swirls and over all I just feel big waste of money.
    Three layers of a coating will last a long time and your car will look great, but it won't make it resistant to swirls. Esoteric will be able to polish out all the swirls you have today, but over time the swirls will return. How many and how quickly they return will all depend on how well you take care of the vehicle. Coatings are amazing, but they aren't a suit of armor for your vehicle.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

11. Likes BudgetPlan1, Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Esoteric is top notch from everything Ive heard... follow the advice from others, read Mike Phillips articles on how to touch the paint during washes. Esoteric will give you the polished rock, see how well you can maintain it. Once you figure it out it’s like riding a bike, you’ll be able to wash any car gently in the future.

13. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigTone View Post
    Haha this is why I’m probably just going to have Esoteric do it next year. All those products and stuff was like reading Chinese. I mean I get it but I’d hate to hit my car with a polisher when I’ve never done any of this before. All I know is that I used the best sealant and ceramic based wax Adams has. I followed up with brilliant glaze from them buffed out with their recommended towel. All washes was with their best soap, foam gun, wash pad, and dried with their most expensive towel 2 of them. Then every 4 washes I use their Ceramic Boost as an added layer to the wax that’s suppose to last 9 months since I only drive 2k miles a year. So I don’t know what else to do to avoid swirls I’ve literally spent hundreds on their stuff. And it’s not like their highest end stuff even protects against water spotting. If it rains over night and warms by morning I have water spots that I can still see even after washing.
    I see.
    This is nothing at all to be ashamed of, nor should you ever feel less worthy of asking folks here for advice with anything car detailing related.

I know a number of people who have quite valuable show vehicles, and they do not touch them in any fashion with machines, or aggressive products of any sort. Just simple wipe downs, waterless washes, detailing with a spray, taking a car cover off, that's about it!

I'll buck the tide, and say that Coatings are very resistant to swirling being caused versus lesser products such as waxes and sealants. But that also depends upon what coating is used?

A Coating such as Carpro CQuartz and CQuartz UK are very durable coatings, and a car such as yours with little use and if also garage kept, you might be able to stretch the life of such Coatings to a full 3 years of protection.

So, in the long run, the initial costs might seem high, but one also has to keep in mind that hypothetically, you'll be getting long protection. Periodial washes, and a maintainer spray product may all that would be needed.

Now as far as water spotting is concerned. It can occur with even the most durable coatings. Depends on some factors. Hard water can cause such, especially if left upon the car to dry. I've read a few horror stories here about folks getting accidently caught with their car next to someone's water sprinklers.

And while rain is considered soft water, that might depend also, on certain areas, and what sort of fallouts and contaminants get's washed out of the sky by rains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast