autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Did the dealership burn through my clearcoat?

Hit my garage door (doh) while reversing and left some pretty bad paint transfer on the edge of my bumper. Was going to take care of it later in the day since I had to drop my car off at the dealership (figured I'd do a detail after they finish the car since they leave it outside after they are done working so didn't want to duplicate efforts).
    Came back and they told me they went ahead and removed the scuff for free. Although they did remove the paint transfer, upon closer inspection, there's a small 2-3 inch line that looks a BIT hazy. I'm not sure if this is the actual scratch that is still left behind, or the dealership ACTUALLY screwed up and burned through my clearcoat.

Any thoughts? Anyways not the BIGGEST deal..if it's actually burn I can go ahead and tape the areas off for future polishing but really don't want this area to start to yellow....

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Mike Phillips

Re: Did the dealership burn through my clearcoat?

I'm never surprised to hear a dealership has done shoddy work. Yes I know there are some dealerships with smart and talented detailers, some of these guys hang out here, but overall it's usually nothing but bad news to let a dealership detailer work on your car.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'm never surprised to hear a dealership has done shoddy work. Yes I know there are some dealerships with smart and talented detailers, some of these guys hang out here, but overall it's usually nothing but bad news to let a dealership detailer work on your car.

Yea...I do hear quite a bit of horror stories. Were you able to open up the IMGUR link? my email notification said you were not able to see anything but your most recent post does not show that message. It works fine for me...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by preciseman View Post

Came back and they told me they went ahead and removed the scuff for free.

Although they did remove the paint transfer, upon closer inspection, there's a small 2-3 inch line that looks a BIT hazy.

I'm not sure if this is the actual scratch that is still left behind, or the dealership ACTUALLY screwed up and burned through my clearcoat.

I downloaded your pics and then resized and then inserted below.

If they would have burned through, my experience tells me it would have first been on the high point of the curve.

Here's a section cropped out, still hard to tell but almost looks chipped around the edges?

With burn through, the place where clearcoat starts and meets basecoat is usually very uniform and smooth.

Not sure how person could cause this kind of damage with a spinning pad? Could have I guess. Would be easier to tell in person.

Also - since this is your first post...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by preciseman View Post

Yea...I do hear quite a bit of horror stories. Were you able to open up the IMGUR link? my email notification said you were not able to see anything but your most recent post does not show that message.

It works fine for me...
    I switched over to FireFox for Imagur and then I could see the pics. I normally work on the forum with IE.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I switched over to FireFox for Imagur and then I could see the pics. I normally work on the forum with IE.

Ah gotcha.

I guess for me I can try and do a full polish in a few months and be careful around the area. If I get any basecoat transfer to my pad I'll immediately stop and just work around the area. Would do it now but it's 100+ degrees in Houston and polishing in a non-AC'd garage is a big no no!

It's really not very noticeable unless your like a foot away and crouched so that your eye level with the bumper, so not the end of the world. I guess the best thing I can do is just keep the area wax'd so it doesn't start to yellow if the clear is gone right?