autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about automatic car wash

Do soaps and other chemicals from automatic car wash strip off sealant and waxes that were applied by hand?

I am planning to detail my daily with one coat of Klasse sealant and one coat of Collinite 845. I was wondering whether I should even bother to detail my daily if I'm going to put it through car wash through winter (maybe 10+ automatic car washes until March).

If sealant and wax can somehow survive these chemicals, I might as well go ahead and detail my daily driver. I detailed my weekend car today, and while waiting for sealant and wax to cure on my weekend car, I decontaminated and "somewhat" clayed the daily driver. All I have to do is to apply the sealant and wax during next wash.

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about automatic car wash

Quote Originally Posted by mrq0604 View Post
    Do soaps and other chemicals from automatic car wash strip off sealant and waxes that were applied by hand?

I am planning to detail my daily with one coat of Klasse sealant and one coat of Collinite 845. I was wondering whether I should even bother to detail my daily if I'm going to put it through car wash through winter (maybe 10+ automatic car washes until March).

If sealant and wax can somehow survive these chemicals, I might as well go ahead and detail my daily driver. I detailed my weekend car today, and while waiting for sealant and wax to cure on my weekend car, I decontaminated and "somewhat" clayed the daily driver. All I have to do is to apply the sealant and wax during next wash.

Thanks in advance
    I recommend you talk to the manager. Ask what chemicals are applied that strip. Also ask if they have wax available in the tunnel as you pass through

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    I recommend you talk to the manager. Ask what chemicals are applied that strip. Also ask if they have wax available in the tunnel as you pass through

Well, I did ask the manager before, but he had no clue. I even called Esso office (gas station near my house where the automatic car wash is located), but I couldn't get an answer. Both times, I straight up asked whether the soaps are close to detergents in terms of ph. But I believe those soaps are pretty harsh...

Yes, there is some sort of "coating" sprayed at the end of car wash tunnel.

There are 3 levels of car washes. I believe middle and top ones get the undercarriage wash, which is the primary reason for taking the daily driver to car wash during winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Brushesless maybe, touchless ok. Swirl-O-Matic a big NO!!!!

5. Likes tomsteve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrq0604 View Post
    Well, I did ask the manager before, but he had no clue. I even called Esso office (gas station near my house where the automatic car wash is located), but I couldn't get an answer. Both times, I straight up asked whether the soaps are close to detergents in terms of ph. But I believe those soaps are pretty harsh...

Yes, there is some sort of "coating" sprayed at the end of car wash tunnel.

There are 3 levels of car washes. I believe middle and top ones get the undercarriage wash, which is the primary reason for taking the daily driver to car wash during winter.
    I do believe underbody attachments are sold at the two big home/hardware stores. Online as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    I do believe underbody attachments are sold at the two big home/hardware stores. Online as well

Just checked the underbody washer. Nice tool.

But still gonna take this thing to auto car wash. Handwashing one car is already too much during cold winter season. Don't make me wash two cars out in the freezing weather!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Brushesless maybe, touchless ok. Swirl-O-Matic a big NO!!!!
    Will touchless not strip off wax, regardless of chemicals used in the tunnel? I always use touchless for this car.

Post Thanks / Like

Most here say that strip washes have a hard time removing sealants.... don’t think a tunnel wash would be any harsher...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Most here say that strip washes have a hard time removing sealants.... don’t think a tunnel wash would be any harsher...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That makes sense. I detailed my weekend car, and the water still beaded after clay and IPA wipe... I hope the new layer of wax sticks until spring, although I'll drive it a couple of times a month or so.

Post Thanks / Like

In my local wash - the pre-soak applied is nasty. Doesn't strip, but degrades very fast. I try to limit it to 5-6 washes for the winter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast