autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars White wax Questions

I was in search for white wax for white car and found one from meguiars which got great reviews. However, I noticed this was a AIO (all in one) polish, wax and compound (i think) according to
    The power of White Wax

Many got good results for their white car. But I didn't realize that this was used as a polish too sometimes. So I'm guessing this will take away some clearcoat and not good choice for waxing every two months correct?

If anyone has used this please let me know if it's safe to use every two months. I basically would be stripping this wax every two months with dawn soap or chemical guys wax stripper then re wax (by hand or da porter cable).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars White wax Questions

It is an abrasive AIO. It's correcting ability can be varied on the pad that is used. This should give you a better idea on how to use it. It actually lasts a little longer than 2 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    It is an abrasive AIO. It's correcting ability can be varied on the pad that is used. This should give you a better idea on how to use it. It actually lasts a little longer than 2 months.
    So basically if I use a white buffer pad for the da porter cable for example then it won't cut away the clear coat (i need to be certain so that every time I use it, its not gonna cut the clear coat. I'll get the paint thickness guage too lol) . But if i use a more cutting pad, then it certain will as it is a mild abrasive correct?

I guess if in doubt, I should use it like 1-2x a wear and other times just use a soft non abrasive carnabua wax.. does that seem like a plan. Just don't want clear coat thinning.

Post Thanks / Like

A polishing pad won't cut as much as a cutting pad. Same for a waxing pad. Use 3-4 times a year and you will be just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    A polishing pad won't cut as much as a cutting pad. Same for a waxing pad. Use 3-4 times a year and you will be just fine.
    I thought polishing pad was a cutting pad lol guess more abrasive ones out there.

If using waxing pad, it will limit more cutting though clearcoat right? And just to clarify this white wax from meguiar will cut through clear coat eventually so every two months of application is pretty bad idea. Even 3 to 4 a year you are saying its fine but i do plan on keeping the car for long time and every two months of reapplication of this is probally bad idea right for clearcoat reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

7. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If your concerned about using an AIO why not use a true wax or sealant? The Megs white wax won’t give you 2 months of protection, most likely 1 month

Post Thanks / Like

My opinion... You'd have to be a real gorilla to thin out the clear coat enough to be a concern using an all-in-one product. I wouldn't even think about it until you waxed the car 40 or 50 times. That's about 8 years worth if you do it every two months.

I realize that clear-coat is thin but it is also pretty tough. Put your paranoia aside and wax away. I think your concern is unnecessary.

And there is absolutely no need to strip the wax using the products you mentioned as an all-in-one will remove anything that is left each time you use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    If your concerned about using an AIO why not use a true wax or sealant? The Megs white wax won’t give you 2 months of protection, most likely 1 month
    Well, I basically don't have much experience in trying different waxes and owning a white car, I basically looked for wax that brings the white out more and came across the white wax from meguiar. Didn't realize it was a AIO. What is a good wax you reccomend? I wanna be able to wax every 2 months just so i get things rolling and get the feel of taking care of car better then move to ceramic coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    My opinion... You'd have to be a real gorilla to thin out the clear coat enough to be a concern using an all-in-one product. I wouldn't even think about it until you waxed the car 40 or 50 times. That's about 8 years worth if you do it every two months.

I realize that clear-coat is thin but it is also pretty tough. Put your paranoia aside and wax away. I think your concern is unnecessary.

And there is absolutely no need to strip the wax using the products you mentioned as an all-in-one will remove anything that is left each time you use it.
    Well that's good to hear as I go no strength as a gorilla lol. If I go that route and 8 years (40-50x which is not gonna happen lol) and clear coat shows it's really thinning, couldn't you just go to auto shop and re-coat the clearcoat? I'm sure it cost a lot but less then full paint job i'm assuming. Or no one ususally gets a clear coat due to expense or not really needed . (or they just don't keep cars as long) .

I do knew it will strip away the wax so no need to strip the wax away, but I'm guessing it would pick up the old wax when using a da porter cable and the gunk will be picked up and affect the adherence of the newly applied wax. Kind of why i think removing it with dawn soap or something might be better. Just newbie thinking what method to go lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast