autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Recommendations for polishing in hot dry environment.

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for DA polishing a car in hot weather? I live in Phoenix and my garage does not have A/C. The normal temperature lately is in the 100 degree range from about 9am on. I don’t want to wait until November to polish my car. My concern is that as I start making passes with a small amount of polish, the polish will haze and dry. If I add more polish to keep it wet, then it is too much and slings.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recommendations for polishing in hot dry environment.

Polishing in the shade of your garage shouldn't cause any issues, but if you notice the polish drying quickly, a spritz of plain water will help the polish along through a full polishing cycle.

3. Likes glen e, fly07sti, Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

About the best advice I can give, since I lived in Southern NM for a good while, is get up before the crack of dawn to start And be finished with that portion of the day's work by 9am or so.

Have everything ready to go the night before, retire early. As long as you have decent lighting, you should be OK. 80 degrees or so is doable, but approaching the triple digits, it's no fun at all, not for the car, and not for you either.

If it takes a total of 2 days to polish, that isn't so bad.

When I once did my Tahoe, it took just about 3 days to be ready to apply a Coating. The decon took just about a good portion of the first day, with then masking a lot of areas-trim, etc. The second day just polishing the roof on a 5' ladder, then the third day I did the rest.

4th day, CQuartz UK was applied.

5. Likes Hermes1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1 panel at a time with HDSpeed

7. Likes 8SecGT, Eric7810 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in El paso Texas. I recently did my trailblazer. I started washing around 4pm and got done with everything around 10pm. I park in what shade I have (garage is full of tools) also I put up my easy up.

I spray it down with the hose for a bit to cool the paint down, then foam, wash with mitt, clay, dry, then take a little brake to recoup from the heat. By this time it's around 530 and the sun is starting to go down so I can polish and wax panel by panel with no real problem. (I start with whatever side has more shade and bounce around from there)

I'm not a pro, hell this is the first vehicle I had that's really worth the effort.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

9. Likes mckobe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeepininawk View Post
    I'm in El paso Texas. I recently did my trailblazer. I started washing around 4pm and got done with everything around 10pm. I park in what shade I have (garage is full of tools) also I put up my easy up.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Yes for Easy Up!

Post Thanks / Like

I have some chemical guys pad conditioner that you mist on the pads between sections. I’m sure AG offers something similar or just use water and mist on between sections or passes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim McCreary View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for DA polishing a car in hot weather? I live in Phoenix and my garage does not have A/C. The normal temperature lately is in the 100 degree range from about 9am on. I don’t want to wait until November to polish my car. My concern is that as I start making passes with a small amount of polish, the polish will haze and dry. If I add more polish to keep it wet, then it is too much and slings.

Any advice is appreciated.

Tim
    I'm in Scottsdale and deal with the same issues.

I wash my car at the end of the day and put it in the garage overnight. I use HD Speed and use a spritz of pad conditioner after every couple of passes. I polish or wax a 2 or 3 foot section at a time and have not had any issues with the polish not removing easily. I clean the pad after every section, so that helps eliminate sling as well.

My car stays outside all the time, so I wax about every three or four months and do a light polish every six months or so to keep the sparkle.

Other than sweating like a lawn sprinkler, no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PM5C View Post
    I'm in Scottsdale and deal with the same issues.

I wash my car at the end of the day and put it in the garage overnight. I use HD Speed and use a spritz of pad conditioner after every couple of passes. I polish or wax a 2 or 3 foot section at a time and have not had any issues with the polish not removing easily. I clean the pad after every section, so that helps eliminate sling as well.

My car stays outside all the time, so I wax about every three or four months and do a light polish every six months or so to keep the sparkle.

Other than sweating like a lawn sprinkler, no problems.
    Good advice.

And welcome to AGO.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Good advice.

And welcome to AGO.
    Thanks for the welcome. Been lurking for a couple years. Just an old enthusiast :-)

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast