autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My first real detail and coating

I have a black ‘05 911 Cab that is in pretty good shape. I’ve had it looked at by a pro who measured the paint and found it to be thick and in good shape. A good friend that is a very good part time detailer is going to help (actually do) the paint correction and I am going to fix a few chips with Dr. Color Chip. He’s planning a light damp sanding and polish. Then we are going to coat with CSL and 2 layers of EXOv4.
    My questions are...
    Do I need to do any other prep besides the polish and wipe down with Panel Wipe?

I know to do the chip repair after the polishing. What about the panel wipe? Wipe before or after repair?

Can I use the CSL on chrome wheels?
    What about exhaust tips?

What would be a good detail spray to use?

I have C2v2 as well. I read something about diluting it and using as a drying aid but can’t find it again. Any thoughts on that and would that work as a detail spray for finger prints and the like or would something be better?

Thanks for helping a total novice. I’ve learned a lot about washing. Use foam cannon and 2BM. Looking forward to taking things to a little higher level. I’m sure I’ll have many more questions going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My first real detail and coating

Quote Originally Posted by BigEd05 View Post
    I have a black ‘05 911 Cab that is in pretty good shape. I’ve had it looked at by a pro who measured the paint and found it to be thick and in good shape. A good friend that is a very good part time detailer is going to help (actually do) the paint correction and I am going to fix a few chips with Dr. Color Chip. He’s planning a light damp sanding and polish. Then we are going to coat with CSL and 2 layers of EXOv4.
    My questions are...
    Do I need to do any other prep besides the polish and wipe down with Panel Wipe?

I know to do the chip repair after the polishing. What about the panel wipe? Wipe before or after repair?

What about exhaust tips?

I have C2v2 as well. I read something about diluting it and using as a drying aid but can’t find it again. Any thoughts on that and would that work as a detail spray for finger prints and the like or would something be better?

Thanks for helping a total novice. I’ve learned a lot about washing. Use foam cannon and 2BM. Looking forward to taking things to a little higher level. I’m sure I’ll have many more questions going forward.
    After polishing, user Eraser or 90% IPA as a panel wipe on the areas that require chip repair. The chipped paint areas must be free of any polish residue for the Dr Colorchip to adhere.
    As for a detail spray to remove dust and finger prints, the like Meguiars.
    If you have a DA polisher, perfect your skills on a body panel from a salvage yard. A detailer on YouTube calls Waxmode uses a hood to perform all his product testing

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I’ll be sure the chip areas are clean. I’ve got the Gtechniq Panel Wipe to do the wipe down before the coating. I’ve got some 90% IPA so I’ll spot clean before the Dr Colorchip then do the general wipe down with Panel Wipe prior to coating.
    My buddy who knows what he’s doing and has the proper tools to do polishing is going to take care of that. I honestly don’t have the personality to do proper polishing. A man has to know his limitations. Lol I’ll be concentrating on learning how to keep it shining as long as possible with proper maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You should visit DetailedImage, Autogeek and Autopia for your detailing needs. I really enjoy ObsessedGarage on YouTube

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    You should visit DetailedImage, Autogeek and Autopia for your detailing needs. I really enjoy ObsessedGarage on YouTube

I watched some of his videos today. Was very helpful. Made it very clear as to how to apply the coating and how to tell it’s flashed and ready to level off.
    I was also concerned about the instructions for CSL that say it needs to be cooler than 25c when you apply it. It’s not going to be that for a while here. They just said to start with smaller areas like 1’x1’ to see how it’s flashing. Said in warmer temps it can be as quick as 30 sec but not to worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched some of his videos today. Was very helpful. Made it very clear as to how to apply the coating and how to tell it’s flashed and ready to level off.
    I was also concerned about the instructions for CSL that say it needs to be cooler than 25c when you apply it. It’s not going to be that for a while here. They just said to start with smaller areas like 1’x1’ to see how it’s flashing. Said in warmer temps it can be as quick as 30 sec but not to worry about it.

If you can be patient and wait for cooler weather, you could apply Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax in the meantime after you fill in the chips. Please post photos of before and after chip repair. I ordered a kit from Dr colorchip

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buster906 View Post
    If you can be patient and wait for cooler weather, you could apply Meguiars hybrid ceramic wax in the meantime after you fill in the chips. Please post photos of before and after chip repair. I ordered a kit from Dr colorchip

I have to be a little patient since everything I ordered came in except the Dr Colorchip. I’m guessing it will ship directly from them some time this week. Anyway it’s going to be a week or so before I can do it now.
    I’ll be sure to get before and after pics.

Post Thanks / Like

Is he planning to sand the entire thing or just the chips?

A solid prep wipe or two will be fine.

You can panel wipe after everything is complete. You may want to take extra care around the touch up paint.

What about exhaust tips?
    Yes. You can even use Exo over it as well.

CarPro Ech20 at 1:20 makes for a good detail spray and drying aid over any coating.

C2v3 has no cleaning properties. It is a maintenance product that is often used over the coating. It can be diluted for use as a drying aid. Stated on the bottle.

My buddy who knows what he’s doing and has the proper tools to do polishing is going to take care of that. I honestly don’t have the personality to do proper polishing. A man has to know his limitations. Lol I’ll be concentrating on learning how to keep it shining as long as possible with proper maintenance.

Polishing is not that hard. Just takes time. Anyone can do it.

9. Thanks BigEd05 thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.
    He’s going to sand the whole car. 3000 grit. Then polish.
    I’ll be sure to take extra care with the Panel Wipe. Some of my concern was if I could safely use the wipe over the repaired chips. I think I have a game plan that’s going to work now. I always over think things.

Post Thanks / Like

Does the entire car need to be wet sanded? If not then just compound, polish and coat. Wet sanding will remove the orange peel but it is also removing some clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast