autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Chemical Guys Leather Ruined my steering

I used chemical guys leather cleaner and conditioner solution on my brand new Infiniti for the second time in 4 months to "Protect" the leather and I wish I knew! On the first application few months back did leave some streaking that was wiped away by normal daily use and left actually some slippery feeling on the steering. On the second application after cleaning and applying I felt the opposite, sticky and tacky feeling on the steering, the seats had some streaking and I dried wiped them.

I am thinking the cleaner or the cream must have had some chemical reaction to the leather and caused this mess. Since then I asked this forum for advise in another thread (Link Below) regarding how to remedy this and applied some of the suggestions. My thinking is, could it be because the bottles have been sitting in the garage heat for past couple of months and the chemicals inside changed their property? that's the only thing I can think of from last application to this application plus application temperature was higher this time as I applied over the weekend.

Here is what I did so far to remedy:

1. I wiped down the steering with solution of very mild dawn and water and then wiped down with just water and dried with MF.
    2. Used Orange bottle Lexol leather cleaner spray, sprayed in MF and wiped down the steering and then damped wiped it again with water and dried with MF towel.

Its been 3-4 days since I cleaned it and the steering now looks exactly how it came out of factory several months ago but still has this sticky/tacky feeling when you hold it in your hands. Honestly I am very bummed and not sure what else to do, as I don't want to put more chemicals on it and mess it up further, also did not want to add more conditioner to it and smear things further.

I am thinking of applying two other methods that may help?! Just like above methods with MF towels either use Woolite 10:1 or 16:1 solution or ONR 2Oz/Gal and do the wipe down process.

I am not sure this is even recoverable.

I appreciate any helpful comments here. Thanks.

Semi-Aniline Leather seat treatment

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical Guys Leather Ruined my steering

IMO:
    If you find that the below Kit can’t
    correct this steering wheel problem:

Leather Master Strong Leather Care Kit, strong leather cleaner, Leather Master leather care, leather seat cleaner

Then there are these two likely solutions:
    •Order an OEM steering wheel cover

Or:

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

3. Likes kamisn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    IMO:
    If you find that the below Kit can’t
    correct this steering wheel problem:

Leather Master Strong Leather Care Kit, strong leather cleaner, Leather Master leather care, leather seat cleaner

Then there are these two likely solutions:
    •Order an OEM steering wheel cover

Or:

Bob
    The kit says don't apply to aniline leather, I am not sure mine is semi-aniline also on the steering, however the other day when I went to dealer the regular none semi-aniline infinities had rougher finished steering wheels.

OEM wheel is around $1,500. the Wheelskins may be an option.

Thanks for the information.

Post Thanks / Like

What are you doing prior to clean the area? how was it applied? were directions followed, lots of variables can lead to user error.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    What are you doing prior to clean the area? how was it applied? were directions followed, lots of variables can lead to user error.
    Yes I followed the direction. Sprayed the cleaner bottle to soft MF towel and gently rubbed the steering, then applied small amount of the conditioner cream to the supplied microfiber applicator pad and applied to the steering then lightly and carefully buffed of the excess till it was dry. Believe me I love my car the most and was very careful as I have OCD about these stuff, I even used three different towels for this. I can assure you it wasn't user error caused this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Long time no see!

Post Thanks / Like

I use CG leather conditioner faithfully in my mobile business. I have used it on countless vehicles with every type of leather including aniline, and it has always performed beautifully. I can not speak for the cleaner because I do not use it.

I have condition quite a few infinity interiors and have never seen this issue. Although, I have not detailed a 2019 yet, so it is possible they’ve done something to the leather.

The steps you have taken to clean it should have removed the conditioner, although I would use a toothbrush and agitate whatever cleaner I was using for much better effect than just wiping with a MF.

I would try cleaning it again and give it a good scrub. If after that you still have the issue then it is in the leather itself. It could even be some kind of grease or something that was on your hands when you where driving there are a lot of variables to consider before blaming the product. I’m not saying that the CG conditioner did not ruin your leather, but it is pretty unlikely.

Post Thanks / Like

They have outgrown themselves. They have more product than any other brand i believe. Most times i think they just use the same product, create a different label and market it. They have a massive following, that those followers will buy all new products they put out and say "it's awesome". They just opened up a shop in my town, and they have more product than a female has heels

10. Likes DUBL0WS6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mckobe View Post
    They have outgrown themselves. They have more product than any other brand i believe. Most times i think they just use the same product, create a different label and market it. They have a massive following, that those followers will buy all new products they put out and say "it's awesome". They just opened up a shop in my town, and they have more product than a female has heels
    I believe most of us on this forum are beyond that. I use 2 CG products on a daily basis and that’s because they work well and they are cheap enough to be profitable. I have had no need to try any of their other products so I can’t speak for them. Silk Shine dressing is one of them and is an exceptional product. The leather conditioner is another.

12. Likes PM5C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would call the manufacturer, see what they say. They are certainly not going to buy you a wheel, but may have some suggestions. If they blow you off, wouldn’t be unheard of.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast