autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical Guys Leather Ruined my steering

Quote Originally Posted by kamisn View Post
    Bob, I bought this package from Amazon
    and came with a third bottle that supposed
    to be applied after soft cleaner and wait 1
    hour and then apply the protectant.
    Good Find!!

What do you think?
    That is exactly what you need!

{Too bad you couldn’t have
    started off with this package.}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    Good Find!!

That is exactly what you need!

{Too bad you couldn’t have
    started off with this package.}

Bob
    So I should apply all three steps including the Vital? I saw obsessed garage was applying this to his Porsche.

I also bought the strong cleaner bottle, but I am not sure if I want to start with that first.

Long video alert:

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I did not test the LM package on the steering yet but made a discovery. The CG cleaner solution basically have dissolved the glue on the steering wheel seem (Picture) and whenever I touch the stitches and the seem it sticks to my hand and then smears on the other parts of the steering.

The steering feel has improved but have this nasty feeling that doesn't go away. contacted the dealer and it costs $2500 for a new steering. If you read the MSDS it has solvent that is used in paint thinners and that may have compromised the glue. You can see in the photo how the seem has opened up.

https://cdn.competec.ch/documents/4/...et_SPI_208.pdf

Attachment 67704

Post Thanks / Like

So in search of right method to fix the steering I called an online store who offers professional leather products including leather master and some others and asked for the right approach to treat the steering wheel.

The response was as below:

1. Use 50% IPA and water and wipe tacky areas gently (this make me nervous)
    2. Use LM soft cleaner to sponge and create foam and clean the steering
    3. Apply Vital solution Gently to steering and let dry for at least 20min
    4. Apply Protection Cream lightly and complete the process

It seems The Leather master kit is my best option to recover from this issue however it also appears that step one is necessary to get rid of residue left from previous Chemical guys and Lexol cleaner.

IPA on leather makes me nervous! What you guys are thinking?

Post Thanks / Like

So in search of right method to fix the steering I called an online store who offers professional leather products including leather master and some others and asked for the right approach to treat the steering wheel.

The response was as below:

1. Use 50% IPA and water and wipe tacky areas gently (this make me nervous)
    2. Use LM soft cleaner to sponge and create foam and clean the steering
    3. Apply Vital solution Gently to steering and let dry for at least 20min
    4. Apply Protection Cream lightly and complete the process

It seems The Leather master kit is my best option to recover from this issue however it also appears that step one is necessary to get rid of residue left from previous Chemical guys and Lexol cleaner.

IPA on leather makes me nervous! What you guys are thinking?
    The IPA mixed 50/50 should be ok and should remove any excessive oils in the leather. The leather on the wheel is probably coated if not leatherette.

6. Likes kamisn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Use 50% IPA and water and wipe tacky
    areas gently (this make me nervous)
    2. Use LM soft cleaner to sponge and create
    foam and clean the steering

IPA on leather makes me nervous!
    What you guys are thinking?
    •IMO:
    -Unless you would somehow accidentally
    drench the steering wheel, and let it sit
    for an extended period of time...
    -then the suggested 50% IPA/Water
    solution, applied in a prudent manner,
    should not cause any further harm to
    the steering wheel.

•On the other hand:
    -If the idea of using IPA—at any %—on
    the steering wheel bothers you that much...
    -you can always try step #2 first.
    (If it works it’ll save a step; and time.)

It seems The Leather master kit is my
    best option to recover from this issue...
    ^^^Truth.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

8. Likes kamisn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems now after almost four weeks of application of CG products my driver seat is more tacky and the leather squeaks when I move around, I will Wait few more weeks before applying the LM kit to the seat and steering.

Is 50% IPA solution also safe to be applied to the seat to remove any remainder of CG oil from the seat? I obviously will do a small section test spot.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure what caused this, it could have been cleaner that have dissolved some top layer on the steering and conditioner may have smeared the gue all over it. yes you may have not came across one but unfortunately it happened to me and I would do anything to remediate it. as far as cleanness of the hands or grease I don't agree and I needed to mention that the car is only three months old.

I called CG and obviously like any other situations like this as always they never heard of this so they only suggested to clean with APC and apply a conditioner. He mentioned that heat can be a factor but if that's the case why don't they say it on the bottle? I applied it in my garage in 90 degrees.

One other note is that I tried the same process on my lazy boy's armrest, the cleaner actually removed the dye and after conditioner the armrest feels sticky comparing to the other one that is not treated, this to me is a product that has failed.
    I quit using these products a couple years ago but I did use the cleaner and conditioner on several vehicles and never had an issue. If I remember correctly I used it once on furniture as well.

I wonder if either during manufacturing or some time before the product got to you something else got mixed into it. I used the stuff to remove blue jean dye off of an off white or light tan Acura interior and used it quite liberally and scrubbed pretty good and never had an issue. Did you find out exactly what kind of leather?

The cleaner shouldn’t have dissolved any glue either.

Honestly if you don’t get this resolved I would push the issue with CG. You might even get a chemical analysis of the product because this doesn’t sound right at all!!
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I quit using these products a couple years ago but I did use the cleaner and conditioner on several vehicles and never had an issue. If I remember correctly I used it once on furniture as well.

I wonder if either during manufacturing or some time before the product got to you something else got mixed into it. I used the stuff to remove blue jean dye off of an off white or light tan Acura interior and used it quite liberally and scrubbed pretty good and never had an issue. Did you find out exactly what kind of leather?

The cleaner shouldn’t have dissolved any glue either.

Honestly if you don’t get this resolved I would push the issue with CG. You might even get a chemical analysis of the product because this doesn’t sound right at all!!
    The leather is Semi Aniline according to specs. I honestly think the problem was in the cleaner as may have removed manufacturer coating because unless I don’t see why the driver seat turns squeaky and tacky after few weeks when the product is worn off.

So what do you use now if any?

I did contact them and usual answer was “Never heard of this” like I am crazy. They even state on their bottle they take no responsibility of any damage as they have no control over application, go figure.

I shouldn’t have used such cheap product on the car and should have read the owners manual. Now this have left a really bad taste in my mouth with this whole new car experience. I try to ignore it but it’s there, unlike a scratch on fender that can be ignored easily, this one is hard as it is touched and felt all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

The leather is Semi Aniline according to specs. I honestly think the problem was in the cleaner as may have removed manufacturer coating because unless I don’t see why the driver seat turns squeaky and tacky after few weeks when the product is worn off.

So what do you use now if any?

I did contact them and usual answer was “Never heard of this” like I am crazy. They even state on their bottle they take no responsibility of any damage as they have no control over application, go figure.

I shouldn’t have used such cheap product on the car and should have read the owners manual. Now this have left a really bad taste in my mouth with this whole new car experience. I try to ignore it but it’s there, unlike a scratch on fender that can be ignored easily, this one is hard as it is touched and felt all the time.
    Not all leather products are created equal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast