autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical Guys Leather Ruined my steering

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCanuck View Post
    I use CG leather conditioner faithfully in my mobile business. I have used it on countless vehicles with every type of leather including aniline, and it has always performed beautifully. I can not speak for the cleaner because I do not use it.

I have condition quite a few infinity interiors and have never seen this issue. Although, I have not detailed a 2019 yet, so it is possible they’ve done something to the leather.

The steps you have taken to clean it should have removed the conditioner, although I would use a toothbrush and agitate whatever cleaner I was using for much better effect than just wiping with a MF.

I would try cleaning it again and give it a good scrub. If after that you still have the issue then it is in the leather itself. It could even be some kind of grease or something that was on your hands when you where driving there are a lot of variables to consider before blaming the product. I’m not saying that the CG conditioner did not ruin your leather, but it is pretty unlikely.
    I am not sure what caused this, it could have been cleaner that have dissolved some top layer on the steering and conditioner may have smeared the gue all over it. yes you may have not came across one but unfortunately it happened to me and I would do anything to remediate it. as far as cleanness of the hands or grease I don't agree and I needed to mention that the car is only three months old.

I called CG and obviously like any other situations like this as always they never heard of this so they only suggested to clean with APC and apply a conditioner. He mentioned that heat can be a factor but if that's the case why don't they say it on the bottle? I applied it in my garage in 90 degrees.

One other note is that I tried the same process on my lazy boy's armrest, the cleaner actually removed the dye and after conditioner the armrest feels sticky comparing to the other one that is not treated, this to me is a product that has failed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I would call the manufacturer, see what they say. They are certainly not going to buy you a wheel, but may have some suggestions. If they blow you off, wouldn’t be unheard of.
    I did call them, they basically denied that they ever heard anything like it. Yea I am on my own with a $60K+ car that is ruined with some mediocre product. I should have not trusted their ads and demo youtube video, should have known better.

Post Thanks / Like

I use this religiously, cleaned up the tacky/sticky feeling and conditions the leather. My steering wheel is 20 years old and still looks new with 100k on the odometer.

Chemical Guys Leather Ruined my steering-collinite-sapphire-leather-vinyl-treatment-wax-855-18-gif

4. Likes mckobe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I try to stay away from any conditioners on my steering wheel, many of them can become sticky when mixed with hand oils and dirt. I do use some AOIs on my seats with ok results. I stick to Connolly’s Leather Cleaner which smells and feels pretty much like Woolite to me for my leather cleaning needs.

Everyone with a leather steering wheel should clean it regularly. You will be surprised at the amount of dirt that you can pull out of the leather pores and it will bring back the “tackiness” that you bought it for in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Please note I have no experience in cleaning and maintaining leather. Just wanted to pass this on as it was very interesting. Came across this video on YouTube a month or so ago. The guy talks alot, but some of this may be what you are experiencing. Hope it helps

YouTube

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

McKee's 37 Interior Surface Protectant is a multi-surface shield for your vehicle?s interior. In addition to protectants, McKee's 37 Interior Surface

I have used the McKess interior protectant above on the Xterra steering wheel, and now the ZR2 steering wheel. Never had any issues whatsoever. Has a light cleaner in it. Steering wheels feels natural.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

8. Likes kamisn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Long time no see!
    Hey bud, I lurk hardcore
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I have this product and use it with no issues. However you scared me and I had to grab my Mckees leather conditioner today instead of chem Guys
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    IMO:
    If you find that the below Kit can’t
    correct this steering wheel problem:

Leather Master Strong Leather Care Kit, strong leather cleaner, Leather Master leather care, leather seat cleaner

Then there are these two likely solutions:
    •Order an OEM steering wheel cover

Or:

Bob
    Bob, I bought this package from Amazon and came with a third bottle that supposed to be applied after soft cleaner and wait 1 hour and then apply the protectant.

What do you think?

Attachment 67689

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post
    Please note I have no experience in cleaning and maintaining leather. Just wanted to pass this on as it was very interesting. Came across this video on YouTube a month or so ago. The guy talks alot, but some of this may be what you are experiencing. Hope it helps

YouTube

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    Cool, Thanks for the share. I actually realized this fact after mine was screwed up.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast