autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

For those using coating saver applicators

The inside foam makes an awesome tire coating applicator. I just did cquk and was interested what was inside and the science or better described as common sense behind the coating saver. It makes sense not wasting so much liquid coating materials . I cut it open carefully and the foam inside is the perfect density for applying acrylic tire coatings which was the next step in the detail. I’m actually gonna start saving the inside foam on the mini saver it really worked wonders on tire coating

2. Thanks Maxreed241, BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, BudgetPlan1, fly07sti, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: For those using coating saver applicators

Whats inside foam??
    2011 Nissan Frontier SV Brilliant Silver

Post Thanks / Like

For those using coating saver applicators

Good tip, especially once the applicator goes hard and you’re ready to bin it.

On the topic of Coating Saver Applicators, how exactly are they more efficient than a suede wrapped foam block?

This article from Autofiber states that they use a plastic lined microfiber with a soft inner core.

Is this the type of applicator you’re talking about?

Would it not work on exactly the same principles as a microsuede-wrapped block? I’ve never experienced the coating block absorbing product nor more than line down the centre of the suede soaking product.

Based on common sense, one would actually be inclined to use more product on the larger face of the microfiber and apply in a less methodical fashion.

Perhaps there’s something I’m missing.
    Last edited by Bobby B.; 08-15-2019 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Not sold at Autogeek

Post Thanks / Like

The have several sizes:

This are the small and the thin. The small is better at coating application. I like it better than block and Suede as it’s easier to maneuver. Doesn’t slip off. Gets to tighter area’s better and worked more efficiently. For the couple of bucks for each a real time saver.

Note: I don’t feel I used any less or more coating.

The thins are nice for sealant application. Does save about a spray per panel for me. A money saver when it comes to overcoat or Cosmic spritz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes superdave592 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insight Crack.

I’m really not sold on its benefits for full coatings.

For sealants, liquid waxes and ceramic lite products I can see it being incredibly useful, less wasteful and a good experience.

For full coatings the design increases the potential to overdose, work in larger sections than recommended and work in a less methodical fashion. All factors which lead to poor coating application.

I’m certain it would lead to more high spots and missed spots which is more time and money spent down the track.

8. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The small applicator has a smaller foot print to carpros block. I felt went on smoother and less grabby. Confirmed to panel better. A lot less clumsy than the block.

I initially tried with larger thinner applicator and I’d agree with you on that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    The small applicator has a smaller foot print to carpros block. I felt went on smoother and less grabby. Confirmed to panel better. A lot less clumsy than the block.

I initially tried with larger thinner applicator and I’d agree with you on that one.

I agree. Just the fact it can conform to slight variations in the body shape is huge IMHO.

Feels similar to using a round foam applicator when applying opticoat 2.0 but not grabby. Does it actually SAVE coating? Maybe. But to me at least it makes a good applicator for it.

Didn't think of opening one up, I kept a few of the spent ones so now I guess I have a use for them!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using these auto fiber applicators for well over a year and will never go back to the traditional suede wrapped block. Don’t have to hold the suede on the block. Don’t have to swap out new suedes every few panels. Contours much better. I have had zero marring or issues with using too much product either.
    Great tip on cutting open when they are done being used to keep the foam core. Thanks!

12. Likes The Guz, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also this^^

Used two applicators whole car. Coulda probably used one.

Anyone tried both? Both my variations are the standard MF. Anyone try the suede or both?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Also this^^

Used two applicators whole car. Coulda probably used one.

Anyone tried both? Both my variations are the standard MF. Anyone try the suede or both?

I have the suede style and they get “grabby” kinda quick. If I’m movin at a decent pace I can coat a vehicle with just one side of the applicator. (Referring to the larger one in your pic)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast