autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Cut / Best Finish

Quote Originally Posted by Serenitynow View Post
    Wow Tony. Thanks for the detailed reply. I had to read it a couple times to understand it. I think I got it.

I already have a can of denatured alcohol. Would it be ok to use this on the tree sap buildup ?

I bought the truck new in 2009. It's never been hit with a polishing machine.

Yes, I will be doing the polishing work in the garage out of the sun.
    Some might say Denatured Alcohol is fine to use, and it might very well be? Me, I've never tried such.

I'd probably lean towards using products specifically designed for such.

Stoner's Tarminator works fine, and it is often found in the big box auto parts stores.

Since this is the very first machine detail and correction you'll be doing, I would say cover all bases as far as decontamination goes.

I'd wash well, then tar removal next, wash again, then onto a good iron remover before moving onto claying. Carpro Iron-X is a good one, there's many more now today from various manufacturers. Usually one needs a clothespin for their nose, this stuff reeks! As some have described, a combination of rotten eggs, and hair dye.

Definitely do such outside! With the iron removers, you will likely be shocked at what you see being dissolved off the paint. Such decon steps prior to claying will help the clay a lot, not having to deal with those specific nasties stuck to the paint.

Sorry that I earlier did not mention the proverbial test spot. Meaning any one polishing product just might not get the final results you seek. Good to have at least a couple grades of polish. The variables are condition and hardness of paint, besides pads and techniques used.

Throughout the decon processes, it is advisable to use the plastic baggie test with your hand inside a thin plastic sandwich bag, and as you go, feel these panels you're working on. It will enhance feel, and tell the tale of just how clean and smooth the paint surface is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Serenitynow View Post
    Wow Tony. Thanks for the detailed reply. I had to read it a couple times to understand it. I think I got it.

I already have a can of denatured alcohol. Would it be ok to use this on the tree sap buildup ?

I bought the truck new in 2009. It's never been hit with a polishing machine.

Yes, I will be doing the polishing work in the garage out of the sun.
    I don't know how it is with denatured alcohol other than it's an ethanol. And I think that when it's highly concentrated it can be not clearcoat safe. IPA is isopropyl alcohol and you dilute it down with destilled water to get a panel prep wipe product that you remove the polishing oils off with. In higher concentrations it will be desolveing tar and tree sap. It's just that you are carefull when useing it as that. And to be safe go with a dedicated RTU tar and tree sap. Like Carpro TarX or Tarminator or another brands ones. The later would be my recommendation and as said TarX is effective and also smells like orange peel. Then you know what you work with. The thing to be carefull with is getting it on plastic trim and rubber seals. So wash the car first. And spray it on a mf towel or mf applicator sponge. Spread it out and you can spray directly if you avoid run off to sensitive parts. Let it dwell for a minute. And rinse it off very thoroughly with a strong water pressure or PW. You can wipe it off too starting from the outside of where you applyied it and work to the center. If you see it leaves smearing behind flip to a new clean side of the mf towel or a new spot on the mf towel. It's useally that's saturated with what you wipe off when the mf towel leaves streaks behind. Do a wash or apply the IronX when done. After the IronX do another wash so you get off the residue left by the tar remover and iron remover. Then start to clay.

Since you are going to be polishing in the garage. The Blackfire One Step seems like a great product. And the benefit to leave it on after you polishing. When you come to have done the whole car or decide to take a longer break you wipe it off. A little time saver.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I missed the machine you'll be using. GREAT choice of machine!

I would suggest getting the Blackfire AIO with your setup and pads. That will get you comfortable with the machine, pads, process etc. Plus you'll get great results I'm sure. Later, if you decide you want more cut or more aggressive abrasives you can decide on a compound and then use the BF as a refining polish. That will also add in an LSP component too. I know I'm suggesting a 2 step approach now but refining after a compound brings out more gloss and pop. You also should be finishing with a wax/sealant/coating for protection after the compound ... AIO's take care of that for you.

As far as how much product you'll use on the truck I would guess somewhere between 4-7 ounces. Yes, 32 oz packaging seems like a lot but you'll have enough for 2 vehicles several times. And, you'll use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man. Sorry guys.

I just remembered, I have a bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Compound that I got when I was going to do this about 2 years ago. Too much stuff came up and it got put on hold.

Does having this change anyone's suggestion for my product application ?

Post Thanks / Like

Another thought.
    I was planning on topping whatever I use for polishing with Collonite 845.
    Would I even need to put something on after using the Blackfire One Step seeing it has a sealant in it ?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys. I'd like to thank everyone again for all your help with this decision.

I placed me order with AG last night. Kept everything the same as what I posted before, except I went with the Forest Green Microfiber Towels instead of the Gold Plush Jrs.
    Thanks to Tony ( SWETM ), for reminding me about them. I had looked at them before after reading good reviews but had forgotten about them.

I ended up going with the Blackfire One Step. Considering that I already have some Meguiars Ultimate Compound, I figured if the One Step didn't do what I wanted by itself, I could hit it with the UC then finish with the Blackfire. Sound like a reasonable idea ?

I also added a bottle of Solution Finish to my order to restore all of the faded plastics and rubber trim and molding on my truck.

Jayfro, after reading your thread about wanting to try something new, and having your " wow " moment with the Pinnacle wax, I'm hoping to get that same feeling when I do my truck.

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

this kit comes with a $25 GC and includes the (AIO) pinnacle jeweling wax (among other things). you also get four 6.5" lake country white pads which would normally wouldn't be usable with this type of polisher because the lack of torque/power, but the GG6 has enough to rotate them. add a couple of 3.5" pads to go with it and you'll be good. normally i don't like kits, but this one is the exception...

Pinnacle Griot's Garage Jeweling Kit Free $25 Gift Certificate

Kit includes:
    Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher
    Pinnacle Souveran Jeweling Wax 16oz.
    4 x 6.5 Inch White Heavy Polishing Flat Pad
    3 x Supreme 530 Microfiber Towels

Post Thanks / Like

So, when you go to clean your pads to get an AIO out and the Snappy Clean just won't cut it. Get something with a high concentration of di limonene and spike the Snappy Clean with it. You want to end up with about 10 percent di limonene. CitraSolv and Citrol are both about 95 percent plus. I am now using Citra Blast which is about 50 percent (but, only $30 a gallon). Just put in the amount necessary to get to 10 percent.

Oh, and make sure you use distilled or RO water to dilute with so you don't negate the cleaning power of the chems (It really does make a difference).

10. Thanks Serenitynow thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ducksfan
    So you're saying to mix di limonene with the Snappy Clean in distilled water to wash my foam pads ?
    I hadn't heard of using di limonene to do this before ? And, I also wasn't aware about using distilled water for this. I just thought tap water would be fine.
    Interesting and helpful info. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Nice and you will be well prepared to polishing the first time. And your thoughts about already haveing UC is on spot. With this since it's SMAT non diminishing abrasives in it. You can also decide the cut with how many passes per sections you do. You can do 1-2 and up untils it dries on you or loosing it's cutting ability from it. So on a test spot it can be worth to after a couple of passes to wipe it off and check out how it looks. If not getting you there you do a couple of passes more.

If you are able and want to it would be awesome to see your work and experience with your polishing and detailing.

/ Tony

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast