autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Cut / Best Finish

I do have the Lake Country Flat orange and white pads in my shopping cart.

At least I got that far with my research. Haha

Is it normal practice to use the same product with different pads on specific vehicle panels ? What I mean is, I was thinking about using orange pads on horizontal panels ( more correction needed probably ) for more cut. But, using white pads on vertical panels ( less correction ?) for less cut. All while using the same product.

Would there be a difference in how the same product finishes using 2 different pads ? Or is this not really a good idea ?

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of good advice here. Seeing as how you’ve never done this, I’d suggest goin with your BF or Speed for your first go round. Very low learning curve and can produce a great finish. Yes you can use a more aggressive pad for the horizontal sections and a white for the verticals. I have done similar and call it a 1.5 step. Just a 1 step on the sides but a 2 step (orange 1st, then white to polish) this on the large, horizontal panels. It all comes down to what you want and how much time and effort you want to expend.
    Try not to overthink it. There is a lot of info these days and can become overwhelming. Pick your pad, product and enjoy the process.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Serenitynow View Post

Yes. I do realize that 2 of them are " All-in- one" products.

But, I have read alot of reviews stating that the 3D Speed and Blackfire have pretty good cutting ability.

So one way I cheat with BLACKFIRE One Step is I start with a foam CUTTING pad. This increases the cut of the product BUT on softer paints, a foam cutting pad can leave haze. That's not good nor professional if you do this for money.

So after using the cutting pad I simply re-do the panel using foam polishing pad. The "polishing" pad removes any haze inflicted by the foam cutting pad. This makes doing this panel a two step but the lazy part of me like how easy the BLACKFIRE One Step wipes off.

A good example of using this technique is when doing a one-step package on a daily driver. You do this to the primary panels, hood and trunk lid, while only using the foam polishing pad on the roof and vertical panels. The car looks GREAT, you reduced time and steps while making the job as easy as possible.

Mike Phillips

I have not had time to process and share the pictures from my class last weekend in Bloomingdale, Illinois on the forum but here's a car my class buffed out using the technique I shared in my previous post on my FB page.

Be sure to look at the before pictures.

Yellow Mustang Before and After

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the FG 400 and it does finish well on hard clear coats, but Nissan clear coats have a reputation of being soft and with a black color on the background it could be challenging.

The work on the Cayenne is amazing but the clear coat on that Caynenne is probably much harder.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a huge fan of the Blackfire One Step with Light Cutting & Polishing Pads. It's fast, easy to work with and has great results.

BLACKFIRE One Step, BLACKFIRE Total Polish & Seal, polish and wax, cleaner wax, car polish

Post Thanks / Like

My wife's '13 Altima, white, is medium hard paint to correct. If it needed it, I would have no problem 1 stepping it with Menzerna HCC 400. I'd test spot it with a white LC pad first but wouldn't be surprised with what an orange pad might do depending on what's needed.

If I had what you have in front of me I would probably want to do 4 test spots...Sonax Perfect Finish/white pad, Sonax PF/orange pad, Menz 400/ white pad and finally Menz 400/orange pad.

I say all that but admit to not having tried BF AIO. Just offering what I'd do based on what I have used.

Additionally, if I remember correctly, both Sonax and Menzerna had manufacturer correction products in mind and specifically tailored their products to rotary machine use. I have put both product lines to use with both my Flex 3401 AND my Porter Cable DA and they work just fine with a dual action machine.

9. Likes Theostoubos liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    My wife's '13 Altima, white, is medium hard paint to correct. If it needed it, I would have no problem 1 stepping it with Menzerna HCC 400. I'd test spot it with a white LC pad first but wouldn't be surprised with what an orange pad might do depending on what's needed.

If I had what you have in front of me I would probably want to do 4 test spots...Sonax Perfect Finish/white pad, Sonax PF/orange pad, Menz 400/ white pad and finally Menz 400/orange pad.

I say all that but admit to not having tried BF AIO. Just offering what I'd do based on what I have used.

Additionally, if I remember correctly, both Sonax and Menzerna had manufacturer correction products in mind and specifically tailored their products to rotary machine use. I have put both product lines to use with both my Flex 3401 AND my Porter Cable DA and they work just fine with a dual action machine.
    That sounds like a solid plan....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post

But, see that's the thing. I don't have anything yet.

I'm still in the planning/researching stage with this.

A couple weeks ago I did use Iron-X, washed with my new foam gun using Meguiars Gold Class shampoo, clayed using my new Blackfire Mitt, then finished off with Griots Spray Wax on everything except the tires.

It looked much better when finished ( and has stayed pretty clean since, considering it's outside 24/7 ) with this but still not where I want it. I know it will never be show car worthy, but I'd still like it to look the best I can get it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Serenitynow View Post

But, see that's the thing. I don't have anything yet.

I'm still in the planning/researching stage with this.

Tons of info here plus watch the video in post #2

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast