autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most Cut / Best Finish

Here's some full size pictures.

In the last picture you can see my white Nissan Rogue reflection in the back quarter panel of the Porsche

Link:
    Menzerna Heavy Cut Compound, Fast Gloss 400, FG400 compound

Sent from my SM-G975U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just based on what I read, Mike's recommendation makes a lot of sense. You wouldn't have a lot of resistance from Nissan paint to correct it. If you did want a pure polish, I would recommend Menzerna SF-3500. It will simply, work.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again all. Sorry. Had to get a couple hours of shut eye ya'll know. Haha

Man, more products recommended for me to research.

I'd say the paint on my truck isn't in horrible shape. It's dull and kind of hazy looking. I can see light swirling ( cob webbing maybe ?) and what looks like light water spots down under the surface. They aren't effected by washing or using a spray wax.

I can't afford to get too carried away with products. Too many other things requiring money. But, I am wanting to get a collection of supplies to take care of the family vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like

I once did one step correction for a friend using Sonax EX 04-06 on Honda paint and the results looked like two step correction. I would choose Sonax polishes over AIO you mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

How hard is the paint on your Nissan? If it is like many Japanese vehicles, it will be pretty soft and you won't need a heavy compound. A good finishing polish should do the trick.

My wife's Toyota Highlander has pretty soft paint and I was able to do a one-step polish of that vehicle with great success using Sonax 04-06, Meguiars Ultimate Polish, or Optimum Hyperpolish. In each instance I used Lake Country white Flat and Thin Pro pads. As far as AIO/Cleaner Waxes, I've also used Griots One-Step Sealant and it looked great.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

You've comprised a great list of products and it's hard to go wrong with any of them!!

I've used Blackfire One Step a few times and absolutely love it and I'm a self admitted cheerleader for BF One Step, and it's pretty "bubba proof" without sacrificing quality. I used it on my Black Acura with super soft paint, wifes White X3 with med-hard paint, Black Mercedes C250 with med-hard, and should've used it on a Black Audi S4 (used pinnacle compound and polish instead)...

The pads i've used to get the best cutting are the LC Orange Pads, I've tried the Whites each time as part of my test spot but the Orange pad did the trick! My goal on each car was to try to get 75%+ of the swirls out of the paint, which One Step accomplished except for the BMW X3. The X3 had a handful of deeper scratches that I couldn't clean up at the time since my skill level isnt quite there for MF Pads...I'll probably tackle it with Pinnacle Compound and Polish later in the year when it cools down. On softer paints...BF One Step all the way!!

Good Luck
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everybody.

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming please.

I've never done this before and still don't have everything I'm going to need to do it. Just trying to get my shopping cart in order.

I have no idea about the paint hardness on the Nissan truck. Anybody have any experience with them ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    The pads i've used to get the best cutting are the LC Orange Pads, I've tried the Whites each time as part of my test spot but the Orange pad did the trick! My goal on each car was to try to get 75%+ of the swirls out of the paint, which One Step accomplished except for the BMW X3. The X3 had a handful of deeper scratches that I couldn't clean up at the time since my skill level isnt quite there for MF Pads...I'll probably tackle it with Pinnacle Compound and Polish later in the year when it cools down. On softer paints...BF One Step all the way!!
    This is a good example of the trade-offs you can make. In this case, a more agressive orange pad with a milder polish gets you about the similar results as a less agressive pad with a more agressive polish when used on harder paints.

On my black metallic VW and now my black metallic BMW I'll use a milder compound like the Blackfire Compound and a white pad. I tried using a polish with an orange pad on my black VW and I actually found it to work a little slower on that paint and required more passes for the same level of results. Overall finish in the end was the same. Results could be different on other paints.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    This is a good example of the trade-offs you can make. In this case, a more agressive orange pad with a milder polish gets you about the similar results as a less agressive pad with a more agressive polish when used on harder paints.

On my black metallic VW and now my black metallic BMW I'll use a milder compound like the Blackfire Compound and a white pad. I tried using a polish with an orange pad on my black VW and I actually found it to work a little slower on that paint and required more passes for the same level of results. Overall finish in the end was the same. Results could be different on other paints.
    So true, that's why the test spot is SO important!

Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Serenitynow View Post
    Thanks again everybody.

Keep the ideas and thoughts coming please.

I've never done this before and still don't have everything I'm going to need to do it. Just trying to get my shopping cart in order.

I have no idea about the paint hardness on the Nissan truck. Anybody have any experience with them ?
    Make sure you have enough Pads....I average one pad per panel, around 8-9 but some will use around 6 depending on the vehicle and correction. If you do a Compound and separate Polish, double the amount. Make sure to get a good cutting pad (orange) and a good finishing pad (white)....it adds up quickly!

Two other things....take your time once you start and have fun!!!

Jay

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast