autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 23 Year old car badge removal - Stubborn Glue

Quote Originally Posted by BA540i View Post
    I recently purchased a 95 BMW 540i and wanted to debadge it. The glue holding the badge on was very dry and very much stuck on the paint as you can imagine. With heat and some WD40 I was able to get the badge off and some of the glue but not all of it.

I continued to use WD40 till I decided to stop and get some advice as I felt I was not making more progress.

After doing some research I am thinking of getting some goo gone and letting it sit on there awhile to really get in there or get a 3M eraser wheel and have at it. The 3M wheel makes me nervous as some have made things worse with it and this is 23 year old glue.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated thanks!

(it wont upload the image so here is a link)
    IMG_3981.jpg - Google Drive
    Take a look at this thread, might help you out.
    1988 Pontiac Fiero Rally Stripes Removal and Prep for Sale

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So I tried to make some progress tonight. starting out with 3 sets - 2 - 4 -8 minutes to let it set one 1 spot. I also tried 2 rounds of 3 minutes on other spots with no success. Its pretty stubborn glue...

I did not get the reaction I was hoping. One area showed tiny promise and I went at with my finger nail and plastic razor blade.

I tiny bit a clean came up with my finger nail so I stopped.

No progress I would say.

Thinking about taking it to someone more knoledgeable and seeing if they think its even possible or just order another badge.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try the hair dryer on high?

Post Thanks / Like

So I tried to make some progress tonight. starting out with 3 sets - 2 - 4 -8 minutes to let it set one 1 spot. I also tried 2 rounds of 3 minutes on other spots with no success. Its pretty stubborn glue...

I did not get the reaction I was hoping. One area showed tiny promise and I went at with my finger nail and plastic razor blade.

No progress I would say.

Thinking about taking it to someone more knoledgeable and seeing if they think its even possible or just order another badge.
    Try to soak a paper towel with the product and slap it on the area where the glue is for 5 minutes. The paper towel will prevent the product from running off and/or evaporating away. It might make the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

No progress I would say.

Were you using rapid remover?

Post Thanks / Like

Even if you manage to remove it, aren't you worried the paint will be faded in the area around it and show the outline of the badge that was there for so long? Might need a lot of leveling on the paint to get that to go away.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Even if you manage to remove it, aren't you worried the paint will be faded in the area around it and show the outline of the badge that was there for so long? Might need a lot of leveling on the paint to get that to go away.
    If what you are saying is true, no amount of leveling will make a difference. If the base coat is faded, you can't polish it out unless you remove the clear.

8. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    If what you are saying is true, no amount of leveling will make a difference. If the base coat is faded, you can't polish it out unless you remove the clear.
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Either way I'd expect it to not look great after having a badge in the same spot for 23 years.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I use mineral spirits and q-tips for something like that. I hold a cloth under the adhesive area and using several q-tips soaked in MS I attempt to saturate the adhesive for several minutes insuring the MS doesn't drip onto any paint outside the area of concern. I like the dwell time and leave it for a little while before attempting to rub it off. I use wet, wooden popsicle sticks or a paint stir stick to work the more stubborn spots, resoaking with MS if needed. The wet wood doesn't scratch the paint as quickly as plastic razor blades.

I would guess that, yes, you'll have some ghosting of the original paint underneath but wouldn't worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like

When there is ghosting, a good compound and polish usually either removes it completelly or reduces it a lot. Anytime you debadge, you should be doing a 2 step correction afterwards IMO.

Post some pictures when you are done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast