autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this a clear coat failure?

Hi,

I have noticed some new spots on my car with signs of clear coat or oxidation failure, not sure what it is exactly. It seems to be at the begining with relatively slight damage. The signs are on the the back roof panel and on the right side roof panel.

I would like to fix it but not sure what is the correct method? Can I fix it locally for only the affected spot?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this a clear coat failure?-img_20190813_184709-jpg   Is this a clear coat failure?-img_20190813_184703-jpg   Is this a clear coat failure?-img_20190813_184716-jpg   Is this a clear coat failure?-img_20190813_184818-jpg   Is this a clear coat failure?-img_20190813_184750-jpg   Is this a clear coat failure?-img_20190813_184806-jpg   Is this a clear coat failure?-img_20190813_184812-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this a clear coat failure?

Really hard to tell on that light colored paint, but some pictures (#5) appear so. Is that last picture a side panel?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Really hard to tell on that light colored paint, but some pictures (#5) appear so. Is that last picture a side panel?
    Yes, in picture #5 you can see it on the middle and on the side.
    The signs are on the the back roof panel and on the right side roof panel.

I will try to edit the pictures to make the signs more visible.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have edited the pictures to make the signs more visibile.

Thanks

Mike Phillips

Looks like clearcoat failure to me.

There's really no simple or easy way to repaint your own car. I've done a few garage paint jobs, they've turned out okay.

Perhaps do a search for doing the Rustoleum Roll-On type paint job.

What I see most people do after the clearcoat fails is simply trade the car in.

And for everyone reading this into the future, this is why it's not a good idea for most people to WETSAND factory paint. It's already thin as it is.

And here's the deal, (I've been typing this for years)

1. Sanding removes paint
    2. Compounding removes paint
    3. Polishing removes a little paint

Pretty soon, even if you don't buff through the clear, you leave it so thin you get clearcoat failure.

See this article,

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

6. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Just to share because I already have all the code copied from sharing in another thread,

I use the below all the time when I'm not behind a PC computer. Not my first choice for working with pictures on a forum but sometimes my only option. It does work.

The easy way to share a picture on a forum - Tapatalk App for your cell phone

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike, thank you for your answer.

I think this might happened due to sun damage, no sanding was done to the car.

Currently the situation is light and I can "live" with that. Is there a way to keep the clear coat from further failure with maybe waxing without fixing the current clear coat failure?

If not, i have seen a method to slightly sand the area of and near the clear coat failure and spray it with new 2k clear coat spray. What do you think about this method?

Thank you

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by iosi23 View Post

Hi Mike, thank you for your answer.

I think this might happened due to sun damage, no sanding was done to the car.
    I understand and didn't mean to confuse you or anyone.

I added the point about wetsanding BECAUE it's often a topic of interest and no matter how many times I try to explain it to future detailing expert, it never seems to sink in.

Paint is thin

If you sand it - you increase the already present risk for CLEARCOAT FAILURE. It happens on it's own from JUST the sun and exposure. It's more likely to happen if a new expert sands a factory finish.

So yeah, I get it you didn't sand it, I was just using your clearcoat failure issue to make a point to all the people that will read this into the future as I never type for the present but always for the future.

Currently the situation is light and I can "live" with that. Is there a way to keep the clear coat from further failure with maybe waxing without fixing the current clear coat failure?
    From what I saw in the pictures, not much you can apply topically to stop the disintegration that's already in progress.

There's this,

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Get it. Use it often. Keep the car out of the sun and the rain as much as possible. Water is a universal SOLVENT. It breaks things down.

If not, i have seen a method to slightly sand the area of and near the clear coat failure and spray it with new 2k clear coat spray. What do you think about this method?

Thank you
    I've never tried it and I've read success stories and horror stories.

I think it comes down to in part - how much basecoat you have and how much you have to scuff it in order to clear it. The basecoat is even thinner than the clearcoat so too much sanding of scuffing and you alter the color of the car.

The next issue when it comes to success or failure I think comes down to the person and their skill and ability to take on a project like this.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to keep it simple, Mike's suggestion using the Optimum wax is solid advise.

If you want to try something else I would give Optimum's newest product a try!

Optimum Clear Coat Restorer

Optimum does a video out where they used it on an older 'vette that did have clear coat failure. So the results were worth while to use the product after doing a surface polish. I have yet to try it myself so perhaps others can comment from the Forum. I want to try it on a few potential customer's cars but the product and labor charges are not a cheap fix (but neither is repainting a car either).

Using this product still requires keeping the surface protected as long as you keep it.

Good luck and glad you recognized the problem early.

Kirby

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!
    Very helpful information.

I will try to find the Optimum Wax, at the moment i only have synthetic wax (MEGUIAR'S Ultimate Liquid Wax), any use for that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast