autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: M105/205 DA Over OEM Body Striping [ Or Tape Off ] [ Dodge Challenger ]

I am mostly just a home gamer, finally got me feet wet and enough nerve from this forum and youtube to try DA polishing my own ride. Had too many water spots that were driving me nuts, would not come off by hand polishing a year ago. Knew I had to step up my game and hand polishing was not going to cut it (no pun intended).

Everything came out great. Went with Meguiars Ultimate Compound, thought about M105 but did not quite want to go that aggressive (yet) and figured the ultimate compound would have a longer work time for a rookie.

Lake Country 5.5" hybrid Orange pads. Mostly just the Ultimate Compound (although did do a bit of M205 and a white pad on the hood). Then for my LSP Duragloss 601/111 and a second application of 111 straight.

Probably got about an 80% or better correction on hood, roof, trunk (biggest offenders). Challenger is one big ass car to polish, kind of backed off on the side panels was getting tired of the multiple passes it was taking.

Next time think I need to get something more aggressive than the Ultimate Compound took too many passes and reapplications. And or a thinner orange pad (my LC hybrid force pads were/are quite thick, figured best for my first attempt).

Was afraid M105 would not give me enough work time and knew M105 would probably have to become a two step if clouded up things too much, so avoided the 105 from consideration.

Really wanting to stay at a 1 step, but needing something that cuts better than Ultimate Compound but still has a long/decent work time, easy off, and can mostly be used as a 1 step. Car is bright green, no metallic.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Fallguy007.

I possibly missed your intro thread but seeing as you have posted only 6 times - Welcome to Autogeek Online Buddy. Sounds like you’re enjoying the step up in your detailing quest.

What DA polisher do you have? Lake Country Hybrid Force Pads are designed for use on Forced Rotation style machines & work very well on those machines & perhaps this is what you have but if not, there will be some great advice here from the Members as to a good set up tried & true.

For example - I know Justin at Final Inspection Auto Detailing does incredible work with a Griots G21 & Microfibre + 3D ONE Compound/Polish.

Compounds & Polishes all behave differently & achieve varying results on different paints, different pad combinations, different tools & the best advice I can offer is - Simply ask a question here on Autogeek. M105 is a great performer when used correctly but there is a fine line between pleasure & pain & to be honest, there are some compounds & polishes out there that are a lot more user friendly & yield incredible results.

We would love to see some pictures of your Challenger too if you care to share. Again - Welcome to Autogeek Online.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

3. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here’s a 2017 Hellcat I recently detailed & coated.

Flex 3401 equipped with Lake Country Blue SDO Pads & 3D ONE as the compound & then a simple switch over to Lake Country Orange SDO & 3D ONE again as a polish before IPA wipedown & ceramic coating installation.

Agreed - these are a BIG car ... & very cool to boot!

Aaryn NZ.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome!

Thats Stunning!!!!!!!!! I am in major Hellcat Envy mode!

Noting your combo to my Google Drive: Lake Country Blue SDO Pads & 3D ONE as the compound & then a simple switch over to Lake Country Orange SDO & 3D ONE again as a polish.

I was using the LC hybrid force pads on my Harbor Freight DA (may step up to a Griots DA or Porter cable later). Harbor Freight worked ok but is quite vibratory, seemed to get a little wild at 5 (I stayed around 4 to 4.5 mostly), does seam to have good power from what I can tell.

Did not even realize there was a forced polisher, and I was using a pad meant for a force machine. Force machine I take it still dual action but direct drive with no clutch.

Cheers!

2017 Challenger, was very water spotted, should have taken a couple of before photos.
    M105/205 DA Over OEM Body Striping [ Or Tape Off ] [ Dodge Challenger ]-img_20190817_104051-jpg
    M105/205 DA Over OEM Body Striping [ Or Tape Off ] [ Dodge Challenger ]-img_20190817_104126-jpg
    M105/205 DA Over OEM Body Striping [ Or Tape Off ] [ Dodge Challenger ]-img_20190817_104001-r-jpg
    M105/205 DA Over OEM Body Striping [ Or Tape Off ] [ Dodge Challenger ]-img_20190817_103953-r-jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12