autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Semi-Aniline Leather seat treatment

I use Griot's Garage interior cleaner and agitate with a detailing boars hair brush. Then wipe off with a microfiber towel. I often will follow-up with a light wipe down using Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer. Leaves a nice non greasy finish.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy working with the Blackfire Leather Complete. Quickly Clean & Protect your semi-aniline leather seats in one easy step.

BLACKFIRE Leather Complete

Leather & Vinyl Interior Scrub Brush

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damonb10 View Post
    I use Griot's Garage interior cleaner and agitate with a detailing boars hair brush. Then wipe off with a microfiber towel. I often will follow-up with a light wipe down using Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer. Leaves a nice non greasy finish.
    Here are some links to what I listed that I use. Also, I use these on a 2017 Infiniti Q50 and a 2016 Nissan Rogue.

Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner, Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner, Multi-surface cleaner, Griots Garage

Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer is a pump spray detailer for all car interior rubber, plastic and vinyl surfaces.

I usually buy through Autogeek during their various % off sales, but it is nice that both of these products are available locally if you are in a pinch. I have also used and like 303 Aerospace Protectant.

303 Aerospace Protectant 16 oz.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some links to what I listed that I use. Also, I use these on a 2017 Infiniti Q50 and a 2016 Nissan Rogue.

Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner, Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner, Multi-surface cleaner, Griots Garage

Meguiars Quik Interior Detailer is a pump spray detailer for all car interior rubber, plastic and vinyl surfaces.

I usually buy through Autogeek during their various % off sales, but it is nice that both of these products are available locally if you are in a pinch. I have also used and like 303 Aerospace Protectant.

303 Aerospace Protectant 16 oz.
    The first two are not leather cleaners, the 303, I heard good things about it but not sure how it will work on steering.

This is the correct one for leather:

303 Automotive Leather 3 in 1 Complete Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kamisn View Post
    The first two are not leather cleaners, the 303, I heard good things about it but not sure how it will work on steering.

This is the correct one for leather:

303 Automotive Leather 3 in 1 Complete Care
    Griot's interior cleaner states on the product page that I provided a link to (and on the bottle itself): "You'll be amazed at how well Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner works at removing stains from your floor mats, seats, fabrics, headliner, door panels, dash and leather!"

303 has been around for years. They've only recently been introducing these other products for what seems like the marketing grab of what people believe and not necessarily what is needed.

If you want something that says leather in the name as a cleaner, then you can go with these items (then follow-up with the interior detailer if you want some protection):
    Meguiars D181 Leather Cleaner
    Meguiars Gold Class Leather & Vinyl Cleaner, leather seat cleaner, car leather cleaner

Don't fall into the Leather marketing trap. 99% of car leather is coated in essentially plastic. Quoted from the link below, "Most people like yourself are stuck in the past and the industry wants you to remain in your ignorance so they can retain the ability to continue to have you chase your tail shopping for dedicated car leather cleaners and car leather conditioners."

For truly clean leather car seats, learn what the professional uses!

Any leather cleaner that includes a conditioner in my opinion is not worth it for coated leather. Good luck to you.

6. Likes kamisn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot's interior cleaner states on the product page that I provided a link to (and on the bottle itself): "You'll be amazed at how well Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner works at removing stains from your floor mats, seats, fabrics, headliner, door panels, dash and leather!"

303 has been around for years. They've only recently been introducing these other products for what seems like the marketing grab of what people believe and not necessarily what is needed.

If you want something that says leather in the name as a cleaner, then you can go with these items (then follow-up with the interior detailer if you want some protection):
    Meguiars D181 Leather Cleaner
    Meguiars Gold Class Leather & Vinyl Cleaner, leather seat cleaner, car leather cleaner

Don't fall into the Leather marketing trap. 99% of car leather is coated in essentially plastic. Quoted from the link below, "Most people like yourself are stuck in the past and the industry wants you to remain in your ignorance so they can retain the ability to continue to have you chase your tail shopping for dedicated car leather cleaners and car leather conditioners."

For truly clean leather car seats, learn what the professional uses!

Any leather cleaner that includes a conditioner in my opinion is not worth it for coated leather. Good luck to you.
    Interesting article, even though it is applicable to most of leather interiors, however I don't think these rules are applicable to Aniline leather. I also would not feel comfortable to use tire dressing on my leather.

In my case the seats are Semi-Aniline which still has coating and I wished I knew earlier but I think the steering is the regular coated leather and that could be the reason why steering feels so different. My local detailer also suggested to use ONR with 2 Oz/Gal ratio to do interior cleaning including leather.

At this point I may wait little bit and see if the tacky/sticky feel goes away as it is squeaky clean now, if not will clean and apply a good quality protectant like 303 or the others which were suggested in earlier posts.

Mike Phillips

Hi kamisn,

Sorry for the late reply, been a tick busy. Also read your PMs and thus coming to the forum and I don't like to answer questions via PMs or any 2-way interface.

I'm also sorry I don't have any easy or good answer for you. I've been answering the question on sticky leather and sticky vinyl and also sticky plastic for decades now.

My normal first recommendation is to KEEP IT SIMPLE and try simple normal hand soap and water. The idea being to NOT introduced any more hot chemicals to the surface, be they a key substance in the product or simply the "carrying agent" for the other ingredients.

Sad that car manufactures can't simply keep things simple in the first place as you are not the first to experience a "sticky problem".

Besides that, if you still feel something sticky, perhaps contact the dealership? Probably a waste of time but it might be a good next first step before going down the road of applying more and more chemicals.

9. Likes kamisn liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12