autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Haste makes waste

Listen to my tales of woe due to trying to do too much in a short period of time.

I was on vacation the first half of the week and planned on doing a light detail on my Mazda CX-5 (Iron-X, Clay, wash with ONR, light polish with AIO and top with TW seal and Shine. I was planning on doing the wash steps later on the first day in the driveway when the sun was low and then the polish and sealant steps on the second in the shade of the garage. But, of course, it rained the first two days so i had to squeeze everything into one day.

I started at 9 in the morning and washed the tires, wheels and wheel wells. So far so good. Next was the Iron-X step. The car was not that dirty, so I wasn’t too worried about having to wash it first before Iron-X. My dilemma was that it was full sunshine at this point, so I didn’t want to do it outside in the driveway in direct sunlight. I decided to apply it in the garage and then wipe it off with ONR since I couldn’t hose it off with water. When I did this, the Iron-X and ONR combined to form a greasy foam which left an oily film when wiped off. I thought I was still okay because the next step was to use ONR as a clay lube please, so that would get rid of the film. This did seem to work, but I was still worried that the amount of ONR used as clay lube wasn’t enough to flush the Iron-X completely,

As a result, I ended up doing an extra ONR wash just to be safe. After that, things went off without any more hitches, but it was a loooong day. I had a couple of breaks for A/C and food and drink and finished up the polishing step around 7. I did the TW S&S, tire shine and quick interior vacuum and protectant application the next morning before leaving on vacation.

I’m tired now. LOL.

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Haste makes waste

I bet it makes you have great(er) respect for those that are professionals that do it everyday, did for me! I did the same a few months ago and I was wasted that night, I was afraid to stand-up from the sofa fearing that I would face plant into the coffee table!!!

Jay

4. Likes SWETM, Paul A., rangerbay liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post

I was afraid to stand-up from the sofa fearing that I would face plant into the coffee table!!!

Jay
    Ha ha...

Been there, almost done that!

6. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TIME is always a factor in detailing. No doubt. And interruptions. I am also on vacation this week. So time was no issue. I got to tweak my truck. And I will confess, a garage is a big plus. You can get it out that hot sun, and do what you need to do. Mine is still in there. Out of the elements. LOL. It go's on short journey tomorrow to get rear shock skids installed.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfro View Post
    I bet it makes you have great(er) respect for those that are professionals that do it everyday, did for me! I did the same a few months ago and I was wasted that night, I was afraid to stand-up from the sofa fearing that I would face plant into the coffee table!!!

Jay
    For sure. I stopped offering to detail my family’s cars knowing how much pain is involved. LOL.

I have bad knees and can’t actually kneel on them, so getting to the lower sections of the car involves an awkward squat that’s not good for the back. I was walking around like Quasimodo last night cause I couldn’t straighten up.

I suppose if I did this on a regular basis I’d build up enough strength and tolerance so it wouldn’t be this painful, but I definitely have a huge amount of respect for all the pros that can knock out several cars a day or do a full detail that takes the whole day!

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Listen to my tales of woe due to trying to do too much in a short period of time.

I was on vacation the first half of the week and planned on doing a light detail on my Mazda CX-5 (Iron-X, Clay, wash with ONR, lint polish with AIO and top with TW seal and Shine. I was planning on doing the wash steps on later on the first day in the driveway when the sun was low and then the polish and sealant steps on the second in the shade of the garage. But, of course, it rained the first two days so i had to squeeze everything into one day.

I started at 9 in the morning and washed the tires, wheels and wheel wells. So far so good. Next was the Iron-X step. The car was not that dirty, so I wasn’t too worried about having to wash it first before Iron-X. My dilemma was that it was full sunshine at this point, so I didn’t want to do it outside in the driveway in direct sunlight. I decided to apply it in the garage and then wipe it off with ONR since I couldn’t hose it off with water. When I did this, the Iron-X and ONR combined to form a greasy foam which left an oily film when wiped off. I thought I was still okay because the next step was to use ONR as a clay lube please, so that would get rid of the film. This did seem to work, but I was still worried that the amount of ONR used as clay lube wasn’t enough to flush the Iron-X completely,

As a result, I ended up doing an extra ONR wash just to be safe. After that, things went off without any more hitches, but it was a loooong day. I had a couple of breaks for A/C and food and drink and finished up the polishing step around 7. I did the TW S&S, tire shine and quick interior vacuum and protectant application the next morning before leaving on vacation.

I’m tired now. LOL.
    I was expecting something worse, for some reason. Maybe because my adventures usually sound a lot worse than your experience? Chin-up; you did a good job!
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

11. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like this thread. And I have been in the same boat.

You start out early in the morning, get in that "Zone" and just go crazy.

Last time I did this was June, 2018.

I could barely make it up the back steps to the deck after I was done cleaning up around 5pm. Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

13. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread makes me laugh good!

The muscles you don't useally use you know where they are after a polishing work. Did a friends Chevrolet Caprice 70' last year and took a couple of days to recover LOL

15. Likes Paul A., PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At my age I just keep doing it. 6-10 hour days about every 2-3 days because I'm afraid that if I stop doing it that frequently I won't be able to do it at all. Yup, it's hard work but very fulfilling. It's the heat lately that makes it wicked!

Rain down here usually includes lightning and that's a wash stopper for sure. If I'm lucky enough to get just rain and no divine electricity with it, I keep washing or claying. As long as I can finish up a wash I'm ok to move it inside and progress with the work. I HATE being rushed.

17. Likes SWETM, PaulMys liked this post