autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused about Interior Detailing

I have a new car that I would like to take good care of but I am confused about interior detailing. If I look at the interior, there are a lot of different surfaces....

• Leather Seats
    • Leather on the doors, center arm rest and steering wheel
    • Soft dashboard & ofter soft / rubbery feeling trim
    • Wood grain trim
    • plastic trim
    • metal trim
    • nav screen
    • glass

You get the point.

So how many cleaning products do I need for all of this? I am assuming I need a leather cleaner and protector for the seats and leather on the doors and steering wheel. Also assuming I need a glass cleaner. Not sure about the Nav screen. And beyond that, I am not sure if one product will handle the rest or if I need more than one additional product.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Re: Confused about Interior Detailing

Great questions.

You can keep it simple and get one product like Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer or McKee's Fast Interior Detailer, Mother's makes one of these products too.

One and done.

Or you can get dedicated products for each surface. This is the better way to go. I'm not behind a full size ergo keyboard with my arm holder uppers so I'm sorry, I can type out a book today. (Sunday)

I'm sure others will chime in....

Post Thanks / Like

I use Mothers VLR or 303, and sometimes Griot’s Interior Cleaner. All work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer works well for touch ups on all surfaces. For a through cleaning you could look at an all purpose cleaner like Blackfire BF-450, Meguiars D101 or even Simple Green. For protectants I like 303 and Gyeon Preserve. For cloth or carpeting, you should use something dedicated for fabrics like Wolfgang Carpet & Upolstery Restorer.

Post Thanks / Like

As my old instructor back in Tech School would say - “Do not be afraid.”

Like Mr Phillips mentioned, something like a Quick Interior Detailer will work for basically all the surfaces you’ve listed (I like the Griot’s version, but I’m sure they’re all good). They have light cleaning power, leave a nice fresh look (not overly dressed), and I think a lot of them leave some UV protection behind FWIW.

Most modern leather seats (if all of the seat is even actually all leather) are coated, so it’s up for debate if an actual leather care product is necessary. Most often owners manuals will specify to just keep them clean with a damp cloth.

One thing I will say - definitely use a light touch on your instrument cluster and touch screen - I work on BMWs and see a lot of them where those surfaces have just been hammered. I’m merely a detailing enthusiast, not a pro; but what I do for my own cars is to blow the dust off with canned air, then very gently wipe off with a high GSM deep pile microfiber. I’ll follow that with a wipe down with interior detailer on a suede microfiber (like you get with glass screen protectors for phones/tablets/or eyeglasses). Those make it really easy to get to the corners.

For wood and metal trim, I’ve found I like hitting it with a rinseless wash and wax type product. Just seems to make it a little easier to clean/leaves it a tiny bit “sharper”. Right now I’ve got a little spray bottle with Opitmum ONR Wash and Wax for that purpose. Really I’m sure any rinseless product/spray wax would do.

If you need deeper cleaning, I like the Griot’s interior cleaner. Many will use an All Purpose Cleaner, but I like not needing to think too much about being sure the APC has been neutralized. (Again- amateur, not pro. )

This is just what’s been working for me - Others here will have a lot of great advice!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to maintain it well then a Quick Interior Detailer will be your best friend. If not you will at least need an APC diluted down (like 10:1 or even 12-15:1) to clean first.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

I just keep it simple and quick. Steam to clean and disenfect, followed by 303 to protect

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the Ultima Interior Schampo Gel as a cleaner as it works on almost any material in the interior. You don't need to be wipe it down with a damp mf towel or anything else just a dry mf towel and done. You don't need to be useing a lot of products either. Works great to cleaning up messes as maintance.

Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel, interior cleaner, upholstery cleaner

Protection is the Ultima Interior Guard Plus and as the UISG you use it on carpet, fabric, vinyl, leather and headliner. No greasy or dust accumulate finish and a little goes a long way with it as with all Ultima products.

Ultima Interior Guard Plus 4 oz., interior protectant, rubber & vinyl protectant, rubber dressing

I have not access to it domesticly but would get it if possible. Ultima Screen Cleaner & Protector seems to be an awesome product. And is dedicated to be used on the touch screens and gauges and on many other devices you have not only in vehicals.

Ultima Screen Cleaner & Protector Bundle

While you are at it Ultima Autospa Microfiber Applicator is the most gentle and softest mf applicator sponge I have used. Hard to describe it but it's not like most mf applicators. And if you have sensitive parts and material or just want a great product then I recommend to get some of them. Can be used on all surfaces on a vehical.

Ultima Autospa Microfiber Applicator, applicator pad

Sounds like an Ultima fanboy LOL. And when it comes to the interior I really like these products. Sonax for an example if you have had alcantra on your seats. Have their really great cleaner for alcantra and it's needed to be used a dedicated product for this material as it's very sensitive to chemicals. Good brushes and mf towels and cotton towels (for leather) to name a few tools that I would not skip the quality from. There are coatings for interior materials to get a longer durability from the protection and an easier cleaning. Could be worth on a new car.

On the inside windows I like Sonax Glass Cleaner a lot. It has a clinging ability from it that reduce the run off and overspray. And it cleaning is great too as outgases from vinyl dash and nicotine and the greasy we humans and animals leaves after us. Team it up with a no nap mf glass towels or Carpros new mf glass towel and you will have it as easy as it gets. The evaporation is not to fast or to slow. If it's leaves streaking behind it's time for refold the mf glass towel or switch to a clean one. And also always wash mf glass towels that are made dedicated for windows separately. They have a more aggressive nap that is ripping out mf strands from other mf towels and cause linting from those towels and you get linting in the mf glass towel as well and you have that linting on the windows then. So the extra wash load with mf glass towels is much worth it to do than the hassle they will get you if not. And use as many as needed. I useally use 3-5 mf glass towels that are cleaning the glass and 2-3 that soak up any smaller streaks if getting any. This is on a station wagon and also depends on the amount of dirt I clean off.

9. Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused about Interior Detailing-0504190852-00-jpg

Guess I am guilty of a few products for the inside.

Leather...Blackfire leather complete.

Glass... Zap cloth.

Plastic/vinyl...McKess interior surface protectant.

Navi screen/gauge cluster...Ultima screen cleaner & protector.

Sonax care pad for plastic. Great for application of the McKess interior surface protectant.

But....As mentioned above, a AIO interior detailer will take care of these surfaces. That is what I used until the weather warmed up enough that I could do a proper interior detail. Got the truck new in November.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I picked up some of the Meguiar's Quick Detailer today. I already have some soft Rag Company MF towels so I will start with that. I also ordered a detailing brush that I can use with my shop vac for removing dust. That should keep me in good shape for awhile!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast