autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Storing a car outdoors under cover

I know this is an auto detailing forum, but if anybody has a good answer to this question, it's the detailing people. Which is why I'm asking here.

I want to store one of my cars outside under a car cover. Car covers typically don't cover the lower part of the wheels and the under carriage seems somewhat exposed.

Is there any reason I shouldn't go the car cover route? I'm worried about moisture/humidity coming up through the bottom and rusting the under carriage part of the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Storing a car outdoors under cover

No, car covers is a perfectly valid topic here, and Autogeek is also a sponsor of Covercraft Car Covers.

What time frame are you seeking for protection where this particular vehicle will reside under a cover? Weeks at a time, months? What part of the country?

Rust can eventually occur no matter what, even in the desert southwest, but of course at a much slower rate than other climates due to low humidity and much less rainfall per year.

Is this a show, or vintage collector car to be so concerned about such?

Two much greater concerns IMO, would be marring created by the use of a Car Cover, and possible damages occurring from the rare Hail Storms.

I did such in New Mexico when I lived there, for the last few years of residence I covered my Tahoe in My Avatar because the desert sun was taking its toll. Mostly on plastic trim, but no doubt the paint as well took a considerable hit. One advantage was I had a durable all metal Carport that it was parked under.

But that helped very little when high winds came, which in southern NM is almost on a daily basis being at the foothills of a mountain range, and a mere few miles from the largest Gypsum Field on earth, White Sands.

Yes, dirts and Gypsum grit gets everywhere there, and with the combination of high winds, and this particulate dust, marring did occur. Only way I could lessen-reduce the damage that was occurring was by Coating the vehicle with Carpro CQuartz, and even still, there was no stopping such from occurring. It was one evil versus another.

There are companies that do make covers to go over the wheels and tires in a myriad of diameter sizes. Many people who own RVs, Motor Homes use them.

Of the covers, (2) which I bought from Covercraft, the NOAH, and then later the Weathershield HD, the latter was a superior cover as far as durability, I still have it. Whereas the NOAH didn't last but about 2 years at most, far short of its 4 year warrantee. But the Weathershield HD is not as paint friendly a cover as the NOAH was.

Most car covers from Covercraft are made from materials that do breathe, meaning should they get wet, they dry quickly, and that water possibly trapped in between the cover and the vehicle is not a major issue to be worried about in most cases, and with many of their covers. Notice I many, not all their covers, because some are not suited for outdoor use.

You do get what you pay for. Other brands covers are often universal fit, which means they don't fit!

Covercraft often offers options on some covers for some vehicles. Let's say you have a chopped '32 Ford Coupe, or a Plymouth Superbird with huge rear Spoiler. Most if not all Covercraft Covers come already with Plastic Grommeted Holes at the bottom center of the cover, so they can be secured with a durable cable and lock to prevent theft, and many companies make cinch down clamps with cords that can be used at the bottom apron seam to further secure the cover if needed, let's say at the front and back of vehicle if desired.

Most covers also usually come with an additional snap together plastic Grommet in case a hole has to be made for an Antenna.

There are the sometimes occasions where Autogeek holds sales with no exceptions, and thus one can get a decent discount on these Covercraft Covers through them.

Hope this info helps you.

Post Thanks / Like

The Weathershield and Weathershield HD are two of the most durable covers Covercraft makes. Another might be the Sunbrella.

And they'll be the most expensive typically as well.

If you wish to personally examine the materials they use, contact Covercraft direct. They will send you sample swatches of all their cover's materials that they use for free so you can personally examine them.

Again, and in any case, hail, yes, you'll be fine it the hail is pea sized. Nickel and quarter sized, and larger, then no car cover without some additional makeshift protection will eliminate any possible damages occurring.

Again, hope my comments have helped.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the NorthEast US.

The car is 25 years old and has been garage kept it's entire life. The under side is pretty clean and I'm trying to keep it that way.

This is kind of a follow up to one of my other posts (which car gets the garage).

So I'm still not 100% certain yet which car is getting evicted from my 1-car garage. But the other one will get a car cover.

Post Thanks / Like

I see.
    Keep in mind that usually all covers can be washed in some fashion. And some of them, not all of them can be tumble dried in a Dryer. Note I say some, not all.

Dependent upon the size of the vehicle, thus the size of the cover, and also the type of material of the cover, one might be able to use their own home washing machine to wash, and even dry.

Companies such as Covercraft will have detailed instructions from whatever cover you may choose-purchase.

Let's say it's a stretchable nylon cover for a Corvette, or perhaps even the WeatherShield-HP, which is a slightly lighter material than the HD Version, then yes, probably no problem with a machine wash.

With either the NOAH, or Weathershield HD and for my 4 door 1997 Tahoe, no way was I going to get either cover into my washing machine or dryer, and could not find a Laundermat in my area that had washing machines that were much larger than what I had.

Thus, I bought a 55 gal Plastic Drum from a car wash for $20, had car soap in it before I got it. I cut off the top, cut a hole in the bottom side to attach a 3/4" Ball Valve Cock, and used to hand wash the covers in it. A little liquid detergent, vessel half full of water, hand agitate as best as possible, drain and refill a couple time with fresh water to rinse.

Then would hang to air dry, and drying doesn't take that long, especially with the Weathershield HD Cover. Other nylon type covers would also air dry very fast as well. Air drying is probably a better option, no risk of heat damaging the material.

Car covers, no matter what eventually do get dirty, an outdoor cover of course gets dirty faster than a simple Cotton Duck Cover, or other indoor type cover that would usually be used inside a garage.

I would say if it's any help, I'd probably keep the daily driver in the garage, because constantly installing and removing a cover on a daily basis gets old pretty quick.

If possible, parking the covered vehicle where it will be less subjected to winds would be a help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    I see.
    Keep in mind that usually all covers can be washed in some fashion. And some of them, not all of them can be tumble dried in a Dryer. Note I say some, not all.

Dependent upon the size of the vehicle, thus the size of the cover, and also the type of material of the cover, one might be able to use their own home washing machine to wash, and even dry.

Companies such as Covercraft will have detailed instructions from whatever cover you may choose-purchase.

Let's say it's a stretchable nylon cover for a Corvette, or perhaps even the WeatherShield-HP, which is a slightly lighter material than the HD Version, then yes, probably no problem with a machine wash.

With either the NOAH, or Weathershield HD and for my 4 door 1997 Tahoe, no way was I going to get either cover into my washing machine or dryer, and could not find a Laundermat in my area that had washing machines that were much larger than what I had.

Thus, I bought a 55 gal Plastic Drum from a car wash for $20, had car soap in it before I got it. I cut off the top, cut a hole in the bottom side to attach a 3/4" Ball Valve Cock, and used to hand wash the covers in it. A little liquid detergent, vessel half full of water, hand agitate as best as possible, drain and refill a couple time with fresh water to rinse.

Then would hang to air dry, and drying doesn't take that long, especially with the Weathershield HD Cover. Other nylon type covers would also air dry very fast as well. Air drying is probably a better option, no risk of heat damaging the material.

Car covers, no matter what eventually do get dirty, an outdoor cover of course gets dirty faster than a simple Cotton Duck Cover, or other indoor type cover that would usually be used inside a garage.

I would say if it's any help, I'd probably keep the daily driver in the garage, because constantly installing and removing a cover on a daily basis gets old pretty quick.

If possible, parking the covered vehicle where it will be less subjected to winds would be a help.
    Thanks for the advice Mark, but I'm talking about the under side of the car, not the cover, LOL. Trying to keep that clean. I'm talking about suspension components, mufflers, etc.!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carlg View Post
    I'm in the NorthEast US.

The car is 25 years old and has been
    garage kept it's entire life. The under
    side is pretty clean and I'm trying to
    keep it that way.
    •IMO:

-This vehicle which, until you recently
    acquired it, was garage kept it's entire
    life...will fast become a rust bucket if
    it’s allowed to be continuously stored
    outside, under a traditional style of a
    car cover, in the Northeastern sector
    of the USA.

-You need a something like a temperature/
    environmentally controlled ‘Car Bubble’.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I really want one of those things that looks like a tent. I think it's a portable garage, but the wife thinks they are ugly.

Post Thanks / Like

About the only better, and more expensive options I might suggest is seeing if you can either find a garage to rent, or rent something like a 10'x20' unheated Storage Unit. At least for the worst-wettest parts of the year weatherwise.

Yank the Battery if required and store the battery on a float charger if no electric hookups

In truth, that's what I'm currently doing right now with my '97 Tahoe, and my 6x12 Cargo Trailer, both are residing in two 10'x20" storage units 160 miles away from me at present. Yeah, $90/mo for just the Tahoe. I in fact was just billed today for the pair, so $180/mo.

Inspected my Tahoe about 6 weeks ago, jumpstarted it and ran it, as the battery is out. Looked just like the day I threw it in there 6 months ago, spotless, couldn't even write with my finger on the hood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by carlg View Post
    I really want one of those things
    that looks like a tent. I think it's
    a portable garage, but the wife
    thinks they are ugly.
    Be careful:
    Many of them are prone to cave-ins when
    under a heavy load of Winter precipitation.
    That’s when things can get real ugly, real quick.

Just curious...what type of surface will
    the vehicle be parked on: concrete, gravel,
    blacktop. (Remember that storing a vehicle
    that’s sitting on dirt/grass is a definite NO!!)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast