autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New To The Hobby—Issue With Cloudy Clear

Hello everyone! I’ve spent about 10 years or so now turning wrenches in my spare time, but I’m new to detailing. I’ve tried searching about this issue to see how to correct it, but I don’t see my exact issue coming up. I figured I would try here before I go to drastic measures.

i have a 1994 Camaro Z28 that I spent a long time rebuilding the engine on. Last winter, I stored the car in my parents’ barn in one of those zip-up bags. That was a mistake. When I pulled the car out, there was a ton of moisture (not from leaks or rain) inside of the bag and on the car. This wouldn’t have been an issue, but now I have these cloudy spots all over the car. It’s hard to explain other than that. I’ll try to attach a picture below but I’m having a tough time on my phone.

If I wet the spot, it disappears, but then it comes back as soon as it’s dry. I don’t know if it’s clear coat oxidation, but I don’t really think it is.

So far, I’ve tried washing and drying and then using a clay bar to remove it. That didn’t work at all. Before I go spending tons of money, I’d love some product and process recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New To The Hobby—Issue With Cloudy Clear

I'm not sure what happened to the original post but it seems to have disappeared!

I've turned wrenches in my spare time off-and-on for about 10 years now, but I've never focused much on detailing. I have a 1994 Camaro Z28 that I rebuilt the engine on. I stored it in my parents' barn last winter in a fully zipped-up bag. When I put it away, there were no issues with the paint. Now, I have all of these cloudy spots that I think are a result of moisture on the paint (there was a lot of moisture in the bag when I took the car out--presumably from condensation).

I've tried searching, but I haven't found anyone that has the same issue as me. I'm looking for recommendations on what products and processes might be able to help me clear (no pun intended) this up before I try wet sanding. I tried washing, drying and using a clay bar. That didn't work at all.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like moisture is trapped under the clear coat. If it's moisture trapped under the clear coat you can try sitting the vehicle in direct sunlight and let the summer heat work it's magic. If it's oxidation on the surface of the clear coat you can try polishing the paint surface using a DA Polisher.

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 6.5 Inch

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Compound, BLACKFIRE Compound

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    It sounds like moisture is trapped under the clear coat. If it's moisture trapped under the clear coat you can try sitting the vehicle in direct sunlight and let the summer heat work it's magic. If it's oxidation on the surface of the clear coat you can try polishing the paint surface using a DA Polisher.

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System 6.5 Inch

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Finishing Polish

BLACKFIRE Scratch Resistant Clear Compound, BLACKFIRE Compound
    Thank you for your response! The car has been in the sun for a few months now (I don't have a garage) and the issue is still persisting. Would it be worth it to try and take a heat gun to those spots before polishing?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CaptArbitrage View Post

Thank you for your response! The car has been in the sun for a few months now (I don't have a garage) and the issue is still persisting.

Would it be worth it to try and take a heat gun to those spots before polishing?

If the car has been in direct sunlight, hopefully this also means warm and hot temperatures, then any moisture related paint issues would have evaporated out by now.

At this point, I would either machine polish using a polish or a one-step cleaner/wax. You could even do this to one panel, like the hood or a fender and tell real quick if polishing is going to fix the problem.

Do you have an orbital polisher?

Mike Phillips

Took a look at your Photobucket page, (can't stand Photobucket - sooner or later all your pictures will disappear unless you have a paid account and pay forever).

I found this one, downloaded, resized to 800 pixels wide and uploaded to your free gallery here,

All I see is dull, neglected paint. Order a bottle of this, it will do your Camaro and a few more Camaros easy. It works great and you'll love it.

BLACKFIRE One Step 32 ounce bottle

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Here's my test car, it's an old swirled-out 2-door Chevy

In case you can't tell - this is the before shot

This is the after shot - the little dots you see are not defects - they are gold metallic flakes in the paint

This was after 8 section passes using the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher with a 6.5" Griot's Orange BOSS Foam Cutting Pad on speed 6

Before
    This is the paint above my Test Spot. Note I've turned the overhead lights off to get rid of the their reflection on the panel. That's why you see a color change in the paint. At this point the light shining down is just the SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light.

Moving down the panel towards my tape-line

On the tape line

Just past the tape line...

The middle of my test spot...

Full write-up here,

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Thank you so much! Yes, it’s been sunny and around 80 since the start of June here.

I struggled with uploading through my phone. I’m not sure if it was a UI or size issue, but thanks for going to the extra effort.

I don’t have any kind of an orbital polisher but wouldn’t be opposed to picking one up if it would save me a few hundred from having a professional do it.

The spots are hard to describe, but they’re almost like fingerprints or smudges. I really thought that they would wash off, but they didn’t. That product looks interesting and I’ll read the write-up tonight!

Thank you so much!

Post Thanks / Like

The Griots GG6 is a great starter machine and you can buy it right here on Autogeek. If you find a better price somewhere else, call Autogeek and they will match it.

Post Thanks / Like

Could it be that it where something residue from the manufacturing of the Zip-Lock bag kind of thingy you had on the car. And when stored and the moisture was present it rubbed off on the paint. Or that it could had some little wind or drag through the barn that made the cover to scratch the paint so it's now dull looking at some areas.

Agreed that the moisture would have been evaporated by now. So polishing a test spot would be the next step. Cause the spots you have don't get caught by the claying to get some resistance when you do clay it? If not it's marring/scratches of some kind.

Go with Mike Phillips advise.

Mike Phillips

Here's an article I share a LOT.

It has a TON of information in it. It probably has more information about the history and difference between microfiber pads and foam pads than you can find anywhere. Plus if you continue to read DOWN the thread I shared multiple links to more and more information that answers questions that you will come to have as you get into machine polishing.

In fact, if you read through this one thread, clicked on all the supplemental links shared in it and watched the video - I dare say you would know as much and maybe even more than most pro detailers.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips