autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Water Etching with Ceramic Coated PPF

Hi There, I have a black Infiniti Q70 with full nose Suntek Ultra PPF, I had a local detailer ceramic coated the car except the PPF with Gtechniq Lite and applied Gtechniq Exo to the PPF as Lite was not bonding to the film.

Now I have a new issue with this combination on the PPF, whenever it rains and let say I have the car sits in the garage and the water beads dry out, I have some water etching (only on PPF area).

Now the question is, has anyone else seen anything like this? I have seen hard water does this to the paint but not rain water and dust. Also I did not have this issue on PPF before ceramic application.

My installer says Gtechniq has newer coating for PPF, "Halo" that is designed for PPF, he suggests maybe buff off the PPF and install Halo, any thoughts? would that resolve the etching issue with rain water?

Thanks.

Mike Phillips

Re: Water Etching with Ceramic Coated PPF

Quote Originally Posted by kamisn View Post

Now I have a new issue with this combination on the PPF, whenever it rains and let say I have the car sits in the garage and the water beads dry out, I have some water etching (only on PPF area).
    Everytime I read something like this, I stop and think and then ask myself this question,

What's in the water?

Now the question is, has anyone else seen anything like this? I have seen hard water does this to the paint but not rain water and dust.
    Yes. Or at least been reading posts like yours for years, in other words, people seeing bad things from water. Makes me think there's a lot of pollution in the air that ends up in the "rain" water.

Also for everyone reading this into the future, when you see someone write,

Hard Water

That means

Dissolved minerals in the water

Also I did not have this issue on PPF before ceramic application.
    Just a thought - maybe the super hydrophobic surface (from the coating), is causing the water and all the junk in the water to bead up and concentreate as it evaporates enabling the dissolved and embodied junk in the water to accumulate better than if there were no coating on the PPF?

My installer says Gtechniq has newer coating for PPF, "Halo" that is designed for PPF, he suggests maybe buff off the PPF and install Halo, any thoughts? would that resolve the etching issue with rain water?

Thanks.

At this point, sounds like you have two options,

1: Remove the coating off the PF

2: Try the new Halo

Please update with result from whichever option you go with.

3. Thanks kamisn thanked for this post
    Likes kamisn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input Mike. I actually forgot to mention after application of EXO and getting water marks on the fenders, he came and buffed the water marks off and applied C2 Spray on product rather than EXO and it seems that it has kind of resolved the issue on the fenders, that's why I am thinking maybe EXO is too soft to elements to be applied by itself only?

Also I have to mention the water marks are not like the hard water/sprinkler ones with white/grey look, rather a fine line at the border of the dried bead and is not that visible if you don't pay attention too closely but visible under the sun and inspection light.

Post Thanks / Like

Coatings have a tendency to spot. I have not had issues with any water spotting issues with any coating, Exo included.

On the other hand I have had issues with C2V3 spotting.

It might be worth trying out Halo.

6. Likes kamisn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Coatings have a tendency to spot. I have not had issues with any water spotting issues with any coating, Exo included.

On the other hand I have had issues with C2V3 spotting.

It might be worth trying out Halo.
    Before attempting to recoat with Halo, I want to try CarPro Water spot remover and see how deep are the marks, if they are easy to come off and just need some minor maintenance after each hand wash then I may stick to EXO until next maintenance schedule that I will have with my detailer.

The thing is my eyes are got so used to perfect paint that little issues like this will catches my eye right away, on the other note I was driving to work today and there was this 911 at red light with TON of swirl marks on all panels that I could see them from my car in the other lane and I am sure his owner was very proud of his car.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had some water spotting from rainwater. It seems to vary depending on what coating is used. Normally if you use the manufacturers spray detailer (think Reload) the water spotting will stop. Most of my waterspotting from rain water comes off with a quick wipe of a QD or waterless wash.

9. Likes kamisn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’ve had some water spotting from rainwater. It seems to vary depending on what coating is used. Normally if you use the manufacturers spray detailer (think Reload) the water spotting will stop. Most of my waterspotting from rain water comes off with a quick wipe of a QD or waterless wash.
    I used quick detailer and chemical guys waterless spray to clean it up as well and it took majority of it of except the edges, I will receive the carpro spotless this Friday and will try that as well. I currently have topped the coat with bead maker, however my installer suggested to use Meguiers Ceramic hybrid wax for the maintenance, I may try that as well and see how it will perform in next rain.

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post