autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Take the plunge or take it to someone else?

Greatly appreciate all the input! I think I will go DIY. More questions certainly to come...need to read a little more about pads/AIO/machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

I'd say go for it. Do it yourself.

I cannot count how many people I've met in the real world or the cyber world that TRUSTED someone with their car only to in the end do it themselves to get it right the second time. Too many people out there that call themselves trained, knowledgeable detailers that simply don't have a clue. Sure there are plenty of "Good Detailers" out their too but confirming they know what they are doing is the tricky part and the last thing you want to do is find out the hard way that they don't know what they are doing.

Here's why. If they do hack work, that is leave your car swirled-out or filled with micro-marring, their process REMOVED paint. For you or anyone else to do it a second time to undo their damage means REMOVING more paint.

You only have a little paint from the factory to get the car through it's service life. See this article as it makes it really easy to wrap your brain around how thin factory paint is.

Clearcoats are thin by Mike Phillips

And the good news is - it's really not that hard to use a simple, 8mm free spinning orbital polisher. One of the articles I've written that I share a lot. The entire THREAD has a TON of information in it plus in my opinion, the most accurate and complete video on what to do when you're first starting out.

You'll have to read a thousand Facebook "messages" to find this much information in a single place on a single page and it's accurate.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

The article actually has more information on microfiber pads versus foam pads than you can find anywhere.

Let us know what direction you want to go - I'm sure others plus myself will be happy to help.

:
    )

3. Thanks nap3p thanked for this post
    Likes astro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get you a Griot's 6 with a Griot's 5 inch backing plate. Get a few pads, some 3d speed then have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Better not need much correction at all if you intend on using 3D speed

Post Thanks / Like

It’s like you cane to a meth den and said I’m thinking about doing meth or taking up golf.....lol. Everyone here is a DIY’er and me personally just went through same debate.

II went DIY route and I’m not Typically that type. I was going to get a coating done and the “pros” I went two were all 1000-1500. I didn’t mind the money but they were all super d!€Ks. So I’d figure I’d spend money on best products and do myself.

Only thing I’d recommend 100% is skip the 8mm basic DA and get a 15mm long throw. Watch some tutorial videos and you’ll be fine. It’s a more aggressive machine but unless you stop in one place..... leave their for 60 seconds you shouldn’t have a problem. Anyone with common sense can get a good job done. If your not a utopian level OCD you’ll love the finish product and feel like a proud papa when someone tells you how nice your car looks.

My only caveat is if you need Deep correction with older paint. Unless you buy a paint gage you d definitely leave to pros.

I bought the Griots boss 15mm and a 3” mini DA from another company and loved it so much I’ve done 4 vehicles so far. It is definitely therapeutic for myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes Jayfro, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's only work. If you have the time, the results are very satisfying - but, no harm in letting a pro do the work either.

I note that I am 81 years old and I do the work myself.
    Last edited by abqhudson; 08-05-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: clarify.

9. Likes spazzz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DIY is good because you’ll have the tools to do the same in more cars.
    But a Porsche is curvy. Keeping the pad rotation is not super easy, especially for a beginner. A Flex would be great on your car but I feel like the learning curve is a little steeper.
    Maybe find someone from this forum that is local to you and can tackle the project with you so you learn for the future and the person will help you get the results you’re after.
    Bruno Soares

11. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Maybe find someone from this forum that is local to you and can tackle the project with you so you learn for the future and the person will help you get the results you’re after.
    Excellent suggestion! Where are you located nap3p?

Post Thanks / Like

If your wifes car is outside.. are you gonna do the polish inside if you end up doing it? seems like everyone does polishing inside after cleaning not sure if people do it outside either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    If your wifes car is outside.. are you gonna do the polish inside if you end up doing it? seems like everyone does polishing inside after cleaning not sure if people do it outside either.
    I polish outside. In fact, I do all my detailing outside.

"I don't even have a garage. You can call home and ask my wife...." - Charlie Daniels.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast