autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna get the PC 7424XP on here

I'm gonna get the PC 7424XP on here.

First time polishing as i see swirl marks. Gonna get the book/dvd on here too so i can get idea on how to do so.

Questions i have.

1. What pads should I get for beginner (or just general good bads beginner or not)
    2. What polish to get?
    3. How long will polish take with this machine (guess i have to tape all the non paint areas too). If i do one half one section and next day do the other half of car should be fine right since in garage.

Here is my steps leading to polish
    -foam gun/pressure rinse
    - any
    -2 bucket wash/ rinse /dry
    - claybar
    - iron x

then polish... would you say first time polishing is pretty easy without worrrying about marring? I think i did some search that the polish you get and how abrasive it is most important then the equipment and technique. I think the pc 7424xp is pretty good . And technique i can watch ..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm gonna get the PC 7424XP on here

Keep in my that with the PC Machine you'll need to buy a least one Backing Plate. Better yet 2 at first if you can afford them. I'd buy the Griots Garage 5" Ventilated Backing Plate, and a 3.5" Lake Country Yellow Urethane Backing Plate. Then accordingly use Lake Country thin flat 4" and Thinpro 5.5" Pads.

For correcting purposes, the White Pads are a good place to start, and I'd say let the majority of the Pads you buy be this color. Agressiveness of cut can then be slightly adjusted-modified by the use of different grade Polishes and Compounds. I'd say at a minimum you should have 4-5 White Pads of both 4" and 5.5" on hand. A couple more coarser Orange Pads would be good to have too on hand, at least to start with in your collection.

As for Polish Chemicals, I might recommend Wolfgang, the Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze. Or opt to negate getting the Finishing Glaze, as Total Swirl Remover does finish down very nicely, and get the Wolfgang Uber Compound and TSR instead.

Many other Polish options, in fact countless. Meguiars #205 is also a very nice Finishing Polish.

I would say to take things in stride and not rush, the washing, and decon of claying, iron-x, drying, etc might take you the better part of one day, in fact maybe all day. Perhaps that should be the first day's plans and goals to achieve. You may also begin to mask-tape needed areas after your sure everything is dry. Oh, let's not forget the interior, that can take some good time too.

On the next day, you then should be able to only need to do a precautionary wipe down with a MF Towel, then begin the Polishing processes. If all goes well, you should be able to complete polishing of the entire vehicle, then lay down your favorite wax, or sealant, finish up trim dressing, tires, wheels, etc.

Have a good number of soft clean MF Towels on hand, one terry towel can be used to help clean the Pads on the fly here and there, and even an old toothbrush can come in handy for lightly brushing the faces of the Polishing pads as you go. After 2-3 panels, swap out the existing Pad for a clean fresh one, and continue.

After tallying up the costs for the machine, plates, pads, polishes, tapes, maybe some towels, and other little accessory goodies, you might get some sticker shock! I know, it happens. You'll maybe say, wow, I have to spend hundreds of dollars just to get this one job done! But keep in mind you'll have these tools on hand for the future and for other vehicles as well.

Some other good things to have on hand and will aid maintaining the polishing pads, is to have a good Pad Cleaner on hand.

Yes, the Mike Phillips Book will be the Bible, very good to have on hand. There's countless videos on the web showing polishing techniques used with the Porter Cable Machine, as well with other machines. Mike Phillip's Vids are usually the very best, concise, correct, and orthodox methods.

3. Likes PaulMys, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Others here might suggest bypassing the PC7424XP for the Griots Garage GG6 instead.

Pros and cons of both I'd say. The GG might be a tad more powerful, and also possesses a lifetime warrantee. The PC I believe only comes with one year. Should the GG6 break 5 years from now, simply call, send it back, and even if that particular machine is now no longer made, GG will send you the latest-greatest version.

I have the PC BTW. And own a GG Boss-15, and GG-3" as well.

I've been happy with my PC, but might mention two dislikes. One, it comes with an almost useless Backing Plate and permanently attached 6.5" Pad. About all that can be done with it, is attach MF Bonnets, and use to apply-remove waxes is about all.

Another, is there are detents in between all speeds on the PC, except in between speed 5 and 6. That was dumb I felt, poor that there wasn't a speed 5-1/2 on the rotary speed dial. Sometimes the PC can seem to struggle on speed 5 with 5.5" Pads or larger, and it becomes critical to use good form, proper angle and pressure to the panel you are polishing.

And speed 6, the highest setting seems a little bit too much IMO.

You'll note mentioned with either machine, since either free wheeling machine can be stalled (in rotation only) when polishing, that it's smart to mark the backing plates so one can keep an eye on Pad rotation as they polish.

While polishing, and when you note pad rotation slowing or ceasing, it's at those times that correction abilities of either machine diminish.

The reasons why stalling occurs is not only caused by the end user, and how they use the machine, but automobiles are not a perfect "flat" surface in many areas, and dips, curves, can cause difficulties when polishing.

It becomes important to maintain that the polishing pad is parallel to the surface at any given point, and attention paid to downward pressure, speed of passes, and of the machine itself.

That if for say in a certain area your pad rotation is slowing due to body curves or dips, then one must also learn to compensate by some other means as well by possibly slowing the rate of section passes they make and/or adjust downward pressure slightly, so the pads and products will effectively work and do their intended jobs in those areas.

Think of a Vinyl Record going round and round on a Record Player. That's what you wish to maintain for effective paint correction.

5. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, Eric7810 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There can be no exact set rule on the time it takes per given panel.

I depends on a number of factors, what the condition of paint is, and the abilities of the machine, pads and polishes in use, and of the end user himself.

As for time, and with something like a Rotary Polisher in an inexperienced person's hands, well one can do things really quick, like burn right through the paint and hit primer or metal in a matter of just a few second's time!

The D/A Polishers such as the Griots, PC, and other free wheeling machines almost make such risk impossible. That's not to say that one can't damage a vehicle or its paint with a D/A machine.

If you get Mike's Book and DVD, study them intensely. If you mimick and copy exactly his methods-techniques, you'll be fine!

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    I'm gonna get the PC 7424XP on here.

First time polishing as i see swirl marks. Gonna get the book/dvd on here too so i can get idea on how to do so.

Questions i have.

1. What pads should I get for beginner (or just general good bads beginner or not)
    2. What polish to get?
    3. How long will polish take with this machine (guess i have to tape all the non paint areas too). If i do one half one section and next day do the other half of car should be fine right since in garage.

Here is my steps leading to polish
    -foam gun/pressure rinse
    - any
    -2 bucket wash/ rinse /dry
    - claybar
    - iron x

then polish... would you say first time polishing is pretty easy without worrrying about marring? I think i did some search that the polish you get and how abrasive it is most important then the equipment and technique. I think the pc 7424xp is pretty good . And technique i can watch ..
    Animescreen,

I recently detailed my wife's '15 or '16 white X3, I used Blackfire One Step with LC Orange Pads, I got great results, not show car but it eliminated a good chunk of the swirls. I found that the BMW Clear Coat is much harder than my Acura which is buttery soft!

As a newb myself, I wanted something that wouldn't mar the paint (aka Bubba Proof) but wanted it to finish out very nice but also not compromise any quality to some extent.

I also didn't think I had the skill level to do a full three-step (compound, polish, coat)...and man was I right (that just changed though!)!!

If this is your first major detail and first time behind a DA, I would highly recommend BF One Step with the LC Orange Pads (white pads didnt do much at all on the BMW hard paint). To work "clean", I would have 8-10 orange pads (one for each panel) and maybe 4-5 whites.

Once you get comfortable behind the DA, the AIO, Pads, process, etc...I would then step up to a Compound and separate Polish, which I would recommend Pinnacle Natural Brilliance Compound and the matching Polish as the Compound has a better cutting ability than the BF One Step (just barely though)...but as a set (compound and polish) it's a little more finicky.

Using BF One Step AIO will make the car look great and will allow you the time to hone your skill if you want to go further later down the road.

As for how long it will take? If this is your first time, I would say 8-9+ hours...there's a lot of real estate on the X3, more than you think!

I would also tape off the plastic molding using 2" painters tape around the wheels and on the bottom half of the doors, the plastic is textured and will hold onto some of the AIO, as I found out, hence just purchased BF Wax Remover (this weekend project).

Few tips from a newb to a newb...test spot, test spot, test spot....review the steps and process in Mike P's book, once you have the technique down...believe in the your technique when working, take your time as this isn't a race, and HAVE FUN!!!

Jay

9. Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the 7424 get the Griot's. It is suppose to be a little more powerful,which is a good thing.

5 inch backing plate and LC flat pads ,orange and white plus some Menzerna 400 and 3500

11. Likes Paul A. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My recommendation for pads on the PC is Lake Country Thin Pros in 5.5" diameter.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Paul, what is the difference between the flat and thin pro?

I have the 5.5 flat and 3.5 thin pro. So I never had a chance to really use the thin pro on a big area.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I can answer that for you Spazzz. The Thinpro Pads are slightly thinner in profile than the standard Thin Pads LC makes. AFAIK, the colors and corresponding coarseness to each given color is exactly the same.

Simple enough to look at the Pads in LC's section in the AG Store.

As Mike Phillips would say, "thin is in", and being thinner is said to make machines like the PC and GG spin a bit easier, less mass and weight.

15. Thanks Paul A. thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have both the PC 7424, and the Griot's GG6.

You really can't go wrong with either one. Mark covered a lot of ground for you, but I will also add that the LC Flat pads are all you need right now to start.
    They are GREAT pads, and I actually always go back to them even after using Thin Pro's, and Griot's Boss pads.

As Mark said, the GG6 has a lifetime warranty, but the PC is famous for being quite literally "bullet-proof". I have never read about anyone complaining that they are having chronic problems with their PC.

Yes, the GG6 has a little more power. This is true, but the difference won't really blow your mind like "WHOA!! This GG is WAY better!!".
    In fact, the differences might not even be felt by a beginner.

Lastly, you mentioned "swirls". Any pics? What make and model car? What color? This will go a long way toward deciding your pad/product plan of attack.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

17. Likes Eric7810 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast