autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

"safe scrub" bug & tar pads on entire vehicle (for wax prep)

What's up everyone? I wanted to get opinions on this because I was in a jam the other night, and wound up using my trusty "yellow bug pad" on my entire car, from top to bottom... and I wound up pretty impressed with the results! What happened was that my 1 year old went to bed nice n early, and afforded me the evening to give my fairly new-to-me car (a 2011 Audi S4) a good wash and coat of Collinite 845. The car is white and hides swirls well, but it's obvious to me that it could use a real good correction sometime soon... that'll have to wait though. Anyway... I went to my detailing bag and discovered that I couldn't trust the clay bar that I had in it. So after washing, I decided to go over the whole car again; but this time using my bug sponge (I love these things... they're amazing!). With thick, foamy, warm water and this sponge, I "decontaminated" before the wax application. I was pleased to feel a glassy-smooth surface once I'd finished, and the (hand) application of 845 went without a hitch.
    So I'm wondering... what do you guys think about one of these sponges/pads replacing a clay bar? Could it be done? Even though they're "scratch free", could using these pads over the entire car be a BAD thing? Thoughts? Feelings? I wanna hear 'em...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "safe scrub" bug & tar pads on entire vehicle (for wax prep)

Cool, thanks for the input

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "safe scrub" bug & tar pads on entire vehicle (for wax prep)

The sponges are scratch free. What causes problems are the things that the sponges rub across your paint. In my case I found the bugs had sap that collected grit from the road and that was the issue. So I had to use a bug remover spray first, then a pressure wash and forget the Yellow sponge on paint that I care about. The sponges are great on metal chrome,unpainted plastic, and glass without a doubt. They are not a replacement for clay.