autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I did the unthinkable and paid the price... :(

When I got to: "Rather than end up with a car with baked in water spots, I (thought it was a good idea at the time)..." I thought you were going to say you re-injured yourself trying to take care of your car.
    Get well, and resist temptation!
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

i use the touchless a decent amount on my car in the summer with my busy schedule, but almost always do a qd when i get home. I use a mostly toucheless (microfiber hanging things) on my other 2 rides all year round and they've always been swirl free and the undercarriage needs it with all our salt. My cars aren't coated though. sucks man.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Thanks for sharing Paul.

Thanks Mike... There has been another theory I've been working on (in my spare time)…. As you WELL know when you're unable to physically do things, and being of the "engineer type", the brain finds problems, forms hypotheses' and wants to work out answers.

I found an interesting phenomena on all three of my vehicles, (and not just mine), including the new GT/CS prior to going into surgery, which allowed for some experimentation with different pads and products (while I still could physically). I reduced it to 3 possibilities and finally concluded on one, which under a 3x loop confirmed one of my hypotheses or at least I think is true. If I can get a camera with a macro lens, and just the right light (which is tough), I'll be able to write a short article and publish it... If I'm right in my suppositions then there will be more fodder for some paint defects we see "after" a thorough paint correction process.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    Rest it up buddy! That way you will be back at it in no time!

Yes, those touchless wash places can be ridiculously bad news for your vehicles! My client took his white Porsche Turbo Cabriolet to one of those places, and as Paulie stated, it stained his PPF purple! It is still stained! Bad, bad news for your finish.

Glad you are doing well amigo, keep up what the good doc's say and you'll be good to go and back at it soon!
    Thanks Sizzle... we're working on it! I've got Frank Rizzo down here and he thinks he knows what he's doing....

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I had a 2010 Revolution Orange Fit sport and it was a great car, other than the fact it was an auto because they "said" they couldn't find a stick. The "magic seat" was so useful and people couldn't believe how big it was inside, don't get me started on the cool cupholders, right infront of the vents and during the summer it was great because it kept the drinks coldI did the unthinkable and paid the price... :(

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks Klasse… Magic seats are greyt for Greyhounds!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I feel your pain, Paul!!

It has to be killing you that you cannot perform your highly skilled magic, and I think I would have thought the same thing as you.

I'm always thinking of you, brother. You'll be back to making cars shiny before you know it man.
    I know you are! Thanks Paulie!

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Like the saying goes, time heals all wounds, let it happenI did the unthinkable and paid the price... :(

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thanks Klasse, we meet with the doc tomorrow to see what the next steps are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mgavin1985 View Post
    Interesting story. With the title ... I did the unthinkable.....I wasn’t sure what to expect in this thread. I’m just glad it wasn’t a story about a guy eating 40 demon level hot wings and then the next day paying the until price resulting in a burnt coolie and the only way put the fire out was to take a tub in cold milk.
    LOL... Well, if you're on this forum then you're well aware of the ill feelings most have about automated car-washes, especially the tunnel of swirls and scratches. However there has been some for forgiveness for the touchless laser washes. Mainly for folks in Northern climates where water lines freeze, (thus no hose), snow, salt, grime and dirt are far too much for a waterless wash. I've published several articles on the alternative to use the Touchless and then come home and do the waterless to finish off the job. Few articles I've presented photo's with amazing results. Problem is, the chemicals are getting stronger and stronger. At one time they just sprayed some soap and blasted the car with water and blow dried the vehicle. Now you get 4 passes of multi-color, intense smelling bubble gum goo... So the point is, DON'T chose anything other than a quick rinse and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Glad it wasn’t your mustang. Thanks for heads up. After getting service done from ford ask them not to wash so they gave me a voucher for a free brown bear wash. Was saving for winter for when I was feeling lazy. Saved me a recoat.

Thanks for the heads up amigo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks CAC, as long as there is an option for just a rinse & blow, you should be fine. That way when you get home you can do a waterless.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    Hang in there, Paulie! You'll be back in the saddle in no time and hopefully feeling great doing it.

Good story and thanks for sharing the experience. It's downright scary what those places take money to do to a vehicle.
    Thanks Paul! Yup hanging in there....

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    I use the local touchless but mainly in the winter months and I tend to rinseless it right after in my garage. A customer however took his new Volvo I coated through one and then went to work and when he came out it stained his anodized aluminum trim and it can't be fixed. He is leaving it for now but is considering a wrap.
    That's typically the way to do it as long as you chose rinse & blow and no other options...

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    When I got to: "Rather than end up with a car with baked in water spots, I (thought it was a good idea at the time)..." I thought you were going to say you re-injured yourself trying to take care of your car.
    Get well, and resist temptation!
    Ha! We've been resisting.... Pushing the envelope a little here and there... but knowing the limits! Thanks!

4. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang, that sucks Paul. Sorry to hear.

Wish someone was there to help you out.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of your medical issues, I just tore my ACL and am presurgery. Right now I can do a decent rinsless wash but not sure what to expect the first few months after surgery. Sure sucks getting older!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12