autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on swirl remover vs. finishing polish

Hi all! New to the forum here, weekend warrior that enjoys detailing and keeping cars looking nice! As the title states, I have a question on polishes. I'm about to paint correct our 2 cars. 2017 Hyundai Tucson in blue and 2018 BMW 330i in silver. After inspecting the paint I do not think they are severe. Both vehicles were purchased new. I'm just a bit confused about which product to start with and used and looking for some advice. Pictures of the paint are below. I will list the steps I plan to take below as well. Just not sure if I need to start aggressive with something like a M105 or Correcting Cream or start with a milder swirl remover and finish with a finishing polish? Perhaps just a consumer line like Meg's Ultimate Compound followed by Ultimate Polish?

Here are the steps I will be taking:
    Clean wheels-Meg's wheel brightener
    Clean tires-Meg's APC
    Foam and 2 bucket wash-Meg's Gold Class wash
    Dry
    Meg's Clay
    Polish step 1-???
    Polish step 2 if needed-???
    Polish step 3 if needed-???
    Meg's Fast Finish
    Meg's Gold Class Liquid Wax
    Meg's Ceramic Hybrid Wax in-between and for maintenance
    Chemical Guys VRP for tire dressing and exterior trim as well as for interior vinyl, plastic, dash and leather

Will be using Griot's Garage DA with 5" backing plate. Have not ordered foam pads yet so recommendations on those would be appreciated too!

Pics of the paint currently. Blue is Hyundai Tucson and silver is BMW 330i:

I attached links since it won't let me upload my photos for some reason...sorry

Shared album - Duncan Louie - Google Photos
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/DAMgqjpzgwxy6bgf7

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on swirl remover vs. finishing polish

Welcome to AGO!!

From your pics, the paint looks to be in decent shape. I wouldn't think anything as aggressive as 105 would be needed.

With any polishing process, you need to do a test spot first. Least aggressive products/pads first.

My favorite polishes include Griot's Correcting Cream, 3D Polish+, and even though it is technically an AIO, 3D Speed can correct light swirls with ease. All are very user-friendly. No dusting, and easy wipe off.

As for pads, I will say that the Lake Country flat pads are by far my favorites. I have some Thin pros, Hydro tech's, and Griot's Boss pads also. They all work fine, and are very nice pads.
    But I always seem to gravitate back to my good old LC Flats.

Of course, these products are what I find best to use for ME. You might find something that works better for YOU the more you experiment.

And just a tip, The Meg's consumer line is Ok for many. Actually, UC is a pretty good product, but I don't think you need it. UP works fine, but it is a b!tch to remove.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna 3500 IMO is the best finishing polish out there. A lot of people agree its a very popular and effective polish.

Post Thanks / Like

You’re paint looks in pretty decent shape. If it where me, I would hit it with a good one step cleaner wax like HD Speed. You can even go 2 steps with the cleaner wax if you like. First pass with a polishing pad, and second pass with a finishing pad to buff off any haze you made with the first cut.

You’d be surprised what a good AIO can do.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Both a Swirl Remover, and a Finishing Polish can sometimes be one in the same.

In some instances it might depend on what products you pair with what Pads? The softer the Pads, the less chance of abrasions caused. But as well less in the way of correcting paint

Do you notice any swirls? If not, and desire just trying to amp gloss, then products previously mentioned, like the Menzerna Polish might perfectly fit the bill.

Others could be Wolfgang's Finishing Glaze. Having all three Wolfgang correcting products such as Uber Compound, Total Swirl Remover, and Finishing Glaze (which is said to be actually an extremely fine last step finishing Polish) all of them would be good to have in one's detailing arsenal.

It is said these products are made by Menzerna. They are all highly liked in reviews, and I've used all of them. Top shelf all the way!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Both a Swirl Remover, and a Finishing Polish can sometimes be one in the same.

In some instances it might depend on what products you pair with what Pads? The softer the Pads, the less chance of abrasions caused. But as well less in the way of correcting paint

Do you notice any swirls? If not, and desire just trying to amp gloss, then products previously mentioned, like the Menzerna Polish might perfectly fit the bill.

Others could be Wolfgang's Finishing Glaze. Having all three Wolfgang correcting products such as Uber Compound, Total Swirl Remover, and Finishing Glaze (which is said to be actually an extremely fine last step finishing Polish) all of them would be good to have in one's detailing arsenal.

It is said these products are made by Menzerna. They are all highly liked in reviews, and I've used all of them. Top shelf all the way!
    The Wolfgang finishing glaze is menzerna 3500 in a diffrent bottle afaik

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    The Wolfgang finishing glaze is menzerna 3500 in a diffrent bottle afaik
    I'm pretty sure you are right on this.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!! Thank you for all the great advice and suggestions! I think I'm going to get ordering and try to take advantage of this coupon AG has going on right now. I'm going to get some LC pads and going to try a few of those polishes. I like the suggestion of the AIO as well as the Menzerna and Wolfgang products as they are pretty clearly labeled...I feel there is less overlap than Meg's and is a bit easier for a weekend warrior like myself to distinguish between the different products.

Going to get it ordered and will post up some results here in the next few weeks when I get it done!

Thanks again!!!