autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question on leather/interior sealants

Most cars have leathers and vinyl seats and interior that is factory coated, but of course maintenance is still required - most important being keeping it clean. I have a bottle on Nanolex leather sealant and the question is this - If a sealant is placed on the seats and other interior areas, other than using an interior cleaner, is there any sense/purpose/advantage in later topping/maintaining it with any of the many leather cleaners/conditioners?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on leather/interior sealants

Is Nanolex a cleaner and sealer? If not, I would clean the seats first. Griot Garage makes a cleaner, conditioner and sealant in one, which really saves some time and it looks awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Is Nanolex a cleaner and sealer? If not, I would clean the seats first. Griot Garage makes a cleaner, conditioner and sealant in one, which really saves some time and it looks awesome.
    No, Nanolex is a sealant. Understood about cleaning the seats thoroughly prior yo application of the sealant, but my question is after the sealant is applied is there any sense/purpose/advantage in later topping/maintaining it with any of the many leather cleaners/conditioners?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    No, Nanolex is a sealant. Understood about cleaning the seats thoroughly prior yo application of the sealant, but my question is after the sealant is applied is there any sense/purpose/advantage in later topping/maintaining it with any of the many leather cleaners/conditioners?
    Depends on how long the Nanolex will last. Guess it will not hurt to top it every month or two. The main thing is to keep it clean.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did 2 coats of WG leather conditioner and followed up with Mckees Leather Guard Coating. My hope is that the conditioners will moisturize, I waited 12 hours, then the coating would lock in the supple leather. Not sure yet if my hopes are reality but makes sense to me since Mckees Leather Guard recommends cleaning first with 70/30 cleaner/conditioner... why not clean then 100% conditioner prior to coating?

Anyways, I would think the conditioner, wait, then seal idea would work with a sealant as well. Not sure if the conditioner will do much after the sealant, if it’s a good sealant? I know I’m only trying-asking your original question... sorry I don’t have a surefire experience/response for you.

Post Thanks / Like

To begin, let me say I'm an amateur at leather repair right now. I'm learning the craft namely to fix my own cars seat that had the dye damaged. I'll pass along some of the care information I'm very fortunate to have been taught.

So, of you have Pigmented Leather seats (to tell you're seats would have even color, no visible defects in the grain, doesn't readily absorb water, and doesn't scratch with something like your fingernail). Most cars have this leather. This leather is dyed in a manner similar to painting (primer, sing stage coat, clear coat) and as a result is sealed.

Most conditioners you run into (that are pure conditioners) just sit on the CC and don't penetrate. Remaining conditioners on the leather can actually attract dirt and cause mechanical wear and tear.

Now, there are conditioners that are more of a protectant and their conditioning is more akin to a paint sealant that reduces friction and chemically protects the leathers CC.

I personally have been trying Geyon Leather Shield as my protectant with a mild leather cleaner for maintainence cleaning and so far I like it a lot. Hopefully this helps some.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

^^So you’re saying that the conditioners aren’t really conditioning in the leather pores, but most likely just sitting on top and protecting (all conditioners I have boats UV protection, etc.)?

8. Likes AaronE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    ^^So you’re saying that the conditioners aren’t really conditioning in the leather pores, but most likely just sitting on top and protecting (all conditioners I have boats UV protection, etc.)?
    Just like your wax/sealant/coating is not protecting your color coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Just like your wax/sealant/coating is not protecting your color coat.
    Understood, I just think the general impression by leather conditioner descriptions is that it’s getting into and moisturizing the leather itself, rather than just sitting on top of dye. I guess this is something I’ve never thought much about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Understood, I just think the general impression by leather conditioner descriptions is that it’s getting into and moisturizing the leather itself, rather than just sitting on top of dye. I guess this is something I’ve never thought much about.
    You're correct, the conditioners (lanolin, mink oil, etc) are not getting through the CC and rehydrating the leather on Pigmented Leather. To rehydrate the leather you need to strip the "dye" (it's really a paint I suppose) and then apply a prep and hydrator to restore the leathers moisture content then re-apply a primer, color, and clear coat. Nothing (and I've seen some people swear up and down it can though so I'll say maybe a very miniscule amount at best) should get through a clear coat on the seats and condition the leather.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app