autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Does Tar-X strip wax and sealant?

I was cleaning some tree sap off my car yesterday with Tar-X and wondered if my work was also removing sealant. The web site says Tar-X is "also a strong cleaner" so I'm guessing it does have this effect. I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does Tar-X strip wax and sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I was cleaning some tree sap off my car yesterday with Tar-X and wondered if my work was also removing sealant. The web site says Tar-X is "also a strong cleaner" so I'm guessing it does have this effect. I'm wondering if anyone knows the answer for sure.
    I don’t “know” the answer but my guess is the answer is yes, it would very much degrade or fully remove wax/sealants. Similar to bug remover, which most recommend to reapply protection afterwards (that’s probably partially also due to bug sponge scrubbing though).

Stronger sealants and coatings may be able to take it with less degradation.

Im interested in responses of others as well though since I’m not 100% positive of my response due to limited Tar Remover experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Car Pro recommends using TarX to remove Reload (sealant) before using Gliss or CQuartz Lite when topping over CQuartz UK 3.0. It appears that TarX will remove a sealant (wax) but not a coating.

4. Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

When I get asked questions like this I re-phrase the question into and "extreme" hypothetical.

Like this,

Does Tar-X add more wax and sealant?

What's the opposite of the word add?

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure it removes wax/sealant or at least degrades it by a lot. Even light coatings like Gliss are affected by Tar-X which should only be used for spot treatments unless you plan on coating again.
    Bruno Soares

7. Likes acuRAS82, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Car Pro recommends using TarX to remove Reload (sealant) before using Gliss or CQuartz Lite when topping over CQuartz UK 3.0. It appears that TarX will remove a sealant (wax) but not a coating.
    Perfect reasoning, thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Any time I use a product such as this (Tar-X, 3M GPAR, strong APC's) I will always re-apply my wax or sealant. Just to be safe....
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes acuRAS82, WaxMaster1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Through my testings I eventually found its a possiblity, as it's dependant on chemical tolerances.

Some resist alkaline and solvents, but strip via acid..while others recost acid but not the others. And so fourth

When I want to chemicals strip or decon I'll prep with acid, solvent then 2 types of solvents

Post Thanks / Like

If the LSP has some kind of oil based build up it will remove that part. As mentioned Reload and Gliss has this kind of protection in it or more like in the hydrophobic layer of it. But it's only these oils it desolves and leave the rest behind. I have used it on spray on rinse off products with no ill impact on it. We have a lot of tar and all kind of oil based dirt here in Sweden during the winter months. And if you don't want to get these in your wash mitt it's a pretreatment with tar remover basicly at every wash here. TarX is one of the most effective ones in this ability. So I save it for when it's really bad LOL. Otherwise we use some kind of petroleum based tar removers. And it's only used a little under where the windows starts and down on the side panels and the back of vehicals. With an use to often over the window starts it can be going in through the seals and desolve the rust protection inside the doors and other places is in the wheel wells you don't use it either or the undercarriage.

So it depends on what kind of protection you have how much TarX has an impact on it. And a little hard to say which will effect it or not. Test on the area behind the rear wheel as there is often where you have most of the tar. If you have a tree sap spot. Spray TarX lightly on just that area 1 spray is useally enough. Have a mf towel ready to get any run off from the spot. You can also spray TarX on the mf towel and spread it out over the tree sap or tar spots. And wait 30 seconds to 3 minutes and gently wipe it off with working it from the outside and in to the center. Rinse thoroughly afterwards or use a water soaked mf towel to wipe off any residue left. As you do this you can check if the protection is impacted or not and if or it will put your mind at ease top it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime you are using a solvent, if it doesn't completelly remove the wax or sealant, it will at the very least remove most of it. I haven't looked at the ingrediants for Tar-X, but I am pretty sure it's an Hydrocarbon of some sort. Anything that can remove glue often is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast