autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

meguiars claybar sitting in garage for 6 or 7 years

i have 2 sealed claybars sitting in garage for 6 or 7 years I opened it up and did small sample on my car only cause i didn't feel it nothing negative happened to it (considering it's not like liquid that doesn't expire). So really lubed up a area with meguiar detailer and got some stuff off. It erased the specks but wondering if this is bad idea? I couldn't resist.

Some questions about claybarring also.

1). So the claybar is like small soap size and was told to cut it in half for later use. Wondering how many usage I can get from the half clay before disposing?

2). I see it has a eraser for some reason and can take it out anytime I want and lube the area (after washing and drying of course) and get the fine specks. Should claybarinng not be used like this and only done like 2-3x a year (whole car at once). I was in impression I can whip out the clay like an eraser and get rid of any areas anytime after wash (with good lube) Or not sure how it affects clear coat etc

3). Should keep the clay back in ziplock as it seems it can harden quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: meguiars claybar sitting in garage for 6 or 7 years

Ok.......

1) Clay may or may not be in this category, but depending on where you live, I wouldn't let any detailing product freeze in the garage. Especially for "6-7 years".

2) You can cut the clay in half, or use the whole the bar. The trick is to flatten it out in a way that you can constantly fold/knead it so you have a fresh side after a panel or two.
    I used to clay from the top down. Reason being that the upper panels will (generally) have less filthy contaminates.

3) I would only use clay if I intended to machine polish afterward. It is not something you want to use "Anytime I want". And certainly not 3 times a year. Overkill. Remember, it will strip just about any wax/sealant right off the paint. Not sure about coatings, but I'll bet the coating guys wouldn't jump at the chance to clay over their coating for no reason.

And lastly, I myself would just chuck my clay bar after I was done with one job on my whole truck. Why risk it?

And the reason I am talking in past tense about clay bars is that I do not use them any longer. There are WAY to many synthetic clay alternatives out there that do an excellent job with all but the most severe imbedded contaminates.

JMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Ok.......

1) Clay may or may not be in this category, but depending on where you live, I wouldn't let any detailing product freeze in the garage. Especially for "6-7 years".

2) You can cut the clay in half, or use the whole the bar. The trick is to flatten it out in a way that you can constantly fold/knead it so you have a fresh side after a panel or two.
    I used to clay from the top down. Reason being that the upper panels will (generally) have less filthy contaminates.

3) I would only use clay if I intended to machine polish afterward. It is not something you want to use "Anytime I want". And certainly not 3 times a year. Overkill. Remember, it will strip just about any wax/sealant right off the paint. Not sure about coatings, but I'll bet the coating guys wouldn't jump at the chance to clay over their coating for no reason.

And lastly, I myself would just chuck my clay bar after I was done with one job on my whole truck. Why risk it?

And the reason I am talking in past tense about clay bars is that I do not use them any longer. There are WAY to many synthetic clay alternatives out there that do an excellent job with all but the most severe imbedded contaminates.

JMO
    I’m glad you answered. Thank you!
    So I’m in Seattle and garage isn’t too cold (except last winter it was ) well I did do patch area about 8x8 inch and did erase lot of dots etc in three different sections I think I lubed it so well I didn’t do any harm
    Anyways won’t be risky like that anymore . Just new clay sitting there like playing with play doh lol

Well when you did clay in the past one clay would do one car right ?

Also, any links to getting the synthetic clay alternatives which I’ll get. Are these bit new in market as 10 years ago I only heard and used claybar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Where on the car do you get these contaminants that the wash don't take care of?

It's much depends on the aggressiveness of the clay bar or clay alternatives how much it will micro marring the paint. The more you are claying with no polishing afterwards the more marring you get. The most gentle clay bar I know of that you can spot claying is the Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay. And combo that with a great clay lube as Dodo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lubricant Concentrate. You will be haveing the safest clay combo from getting the clay marring. And remember that this combo is very gentle and is only for spot claying and if you have to clay rather soon after a detail. So it's not a good option to use when you prep for a polishing.

And as mentioned the clay alternatives has become very good and is much faster. Then as with everything else that touching the paint is how you do it. If you just rubb the heck out on the paint and a lot of pressure you will create more marring. And with a gentle approach and feel when the surface you clay are getting smooth as the clay slides easier you are done with it.

But it's easier to use a chemical to desolve the grime and contaminants that the wash does not take care of. Between the polishing you do. Depending on what kind of contaminants you have you use a chemical to desolve the it. Different chemicals desolves different kind of dirt and contaminants is something to have in mind. This is mentioned as decon washes which is much depending on the environment you live in and what you use when doing these decons and what decon products you use.

Sonus SFX Ultra-Fine Detailing Clay, clay bars, auto clay, paint cleaning bar

Dodo Juice Born Slippy Clay Lubricant Concentrate, born slippy clay lube, detailing clay lubricant, clay lube concentrate