autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Drying towels , 1-2 towels enough? And MF towel detergent question.

1). So I seem to be doing laundry once a week as I use lot of mf towels due to rinseless wash and use each side of towel for each panel etc. Currently use chemical guys detergent which is great, but since I'll be doing lot of laundry once a week on mf towels, is there more costco bulk I can get for decent price (which is also effective to clean the mf towel properly)

2). Can I just use 1-2 towels for the entire car for drying (i have the waffle one, very soft one by chemical guys, and silk one) ? Or is this asking for swirls. I basically pat dry with silk one to get excess out (after leaf blowing lol). Then use the soft ones to get the water out and dry it out. I figure after the wash, most or all debris are gone so doing light motion with the final soft towel is all that is needed along with the silk or waffle towel i use to pat dry.

So when I'm drying I'm always wondering if need to do each panel with clean side of towel or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying towels , 1-2 towels enough? And MF towel detergent question.

1. 3D Towel Kleen

2. I have Sonax version of Gyeon Silk Dryer Towel which has a twisted loop nap mf. The nap on these drying towels is awesome and you get a dry paint with 1 drag. I put it on as far away as possible and drag it towards me holding them on the widest corners. They also holds water extremly well. Griots Garage PFM Drying Towels has 2 side of these twisted loops and is well aliked by many. Use a bigger one on the horisontall panels and 1 or 2 smaller on the vertical panels for easier control. I like to have enough drying towels to not need to be wringing them out. 2-3 towels if I don't use the leafblower. Get 1 big GG PFM drying towel and 2 smaller and you are set

GYEON Silk Dryer 28 x 36 Inches

GYEON Silk Dryer 20 x 22 Inches

Griot's Garage Extra-Large PFM Edgeless Drying Towel

Griots Garage PFM Terry Weave Drying Towel

https://www.autogeek.net/griots-pfm-2pack.html

I don't use any drying aid as they are soft enough and use the capillary holding ability from the water and the water tension. To hold as much of water as possible. And a drying aid is mostly breaking this ability.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

I use Griots microfiber detergent. Very economical as you use with a free and clear detergent. Towels are softer and more absorbent than just using the all free and clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes animescreen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    1). So I seem to be doing laundry once a week as I use lot of mf towels due to rinseless wash and use each side of towel for each panel etc. Currently use chemical guys detergent which is great, but since I'll be doing lot of laundry once a week on mf towels, is there more costco bulk I can get for decent price (which is also effective to clean the mf towel properly)

2). Can I just use 1-2 towels for the entire car for drying (i have the waffle one, very soft one by chemical guys, and silk one) ? Or is this asking for swirls. I basically pat dry with silk one to get excess out (after leaf blowing lol). Then use the soft ones to get the water out and dry it out. I figure after the wash, most or all debris are gone so doing light motion with the final soft towel is all that is needed along with the silk or waffle towel i use to pat dry.

So when I'm drying I'm always wondering if need to do each panel with clean side of towel or not.
    You can use a single 16x16 MF towel of say 480+GSM without issue. Key to drying is to air-dry first getting 90-95% or more water off the car. Helps carry any dirt or contaminants OFF the vehicle and OUT of the crevices such as moldings, spoilers, seals, etc. From there NEVER use a dry towel to dry a car. Always make it a practice of soaking it in a pale of rinseless solution made from distilled water. Just wring it out so it's damp then dry. This adds lubricity, ensures little to no spots and helps add a bit of gloss. Also, any remaining areas that you may have missed during a wash will be cleaned up and the dirt not an issue. As an owner of many black vehicles, I'm pretty opinionated but then I have swirl and mar free black due in part to good drying practices.

Cleaning wise, I'm VERY pleased with 3D Towel Kleen. It's my go-to for all my stuff.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Just use the correct amount for a free and clear detergent. Using too much detergent is worse, not better. If you use the same type of towels often, you may want to consider buying more and doing less loads.

Post Thanks / Like

Ill second the Towel Kleen

I can dry a full sized(?) car such as a Dodge Charger with 2 of the 16x16 Griots drying towels.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

8. Likes derass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

3d towel clean is fantastic. I disagree with the statement about never using a dry towel. It's all I use, but I only use the Griot's pfm towels. Never had any issues with these. Best mfiber towels I've ever used, and I've done this for over 50 years.

10. Likes PaulMys, derass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another Towel Kleen fan here. Great stuff.

And the PFM towel is the most incredible towel I have used. No advertising hype with this product. I can dry my entire truck, and the thing just feels a little damp afterward.

I also use it dry. Zero problems.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes derass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You should also look to an air dryer if coating car. I use a leaf blower that only dry’s my car. Didn’t work to well with Reload, Clutch, TW seal and shine, or hydro silex. Coating the car the water flys off the panels. Also works well with Kamikaze Overcoat and Polish Angel Cosmic spritz. I follow up with a pfm or two to get what little is left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    You should also look to an air dryer if coating car. I use a leaf blower that only dry’s my car. Didn’t work to well with Reload, Clutch, TW seal and shine, or hydro silex. Coating the car the water flys off the panels. Also works well with Kamikaze Overcoat and Polish Angel Cosmic spritz. I follow up with a pfm or two to get what little is left.

PNS too!

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

15. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast