autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

wheel coating recommendation

Hey whats up everyone. I have some new wheels being shipped to me and I would like to coat them before I mount them. They are factory new aftermarket wheels in matte grey color. So I am looking at a ceramic coat that I can put on them to protect and help with the cleaning. I live in south florida. I will be doing it in my house or in my garage. all advice and recommendations welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: wheel coating recommendation

Rim, Dlux, C5 are all good coatings. I went with Dlux as it’s more versatile and can be used on plastic and trim as well.
    Bruno Soares

Mike Phillips

The toughest wheel coating I've used is the GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor. You can get it here,

GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor 15 ml.

4. Likes Misterpaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's only one choice IMO, and that's Carpro CQuartz DLX!

It's good to 800F, it doesn't flake, run off, haze, nothing! No downsides that I have found.

I've done two sets of new wheels with it, a pair of 22" Chrome GM Replicas that I once placed on my 4x4 Tahoe,(They're pictured in my avatar) but sold them some 7-8 months later, as I was moving back to the Midwest, and those "street scene" V-Rated Nitto Tires, and purty cruiser Wheels weren't going to cut it through midwest winters out in the boonies.

Went back to standard size, but a little wider, a telephone dial type wheel, Brushed Coated Aluminum, with Black accents, Black Plastic Center Caps, and a fresh set of BFG All Terrain 275/70-16 Tires. Everything got coated in and out.

Yep, both sets were coated in the house, lugs, locks and all.

The only "trickiness" I noted both times with CQ DLX, was the instructions of telling you to apply, then quickly come behind with an MF Towel and wipe. No good!

As soon as I tried that both times, I started getting some bad smearing to the finish, just too tacky it was, stopped that method, and only applied direct the best I could very carefully, and then not touching them with any towels after for a period of 24 hours.

Final wipedown before installing both times was with Carpro Reload, and tires dressed or coated in and out.

The final finish with this method came out the smoothest, and best looking, and also figured why start wiping off a coating right after applying?

Yes, CQuartz for the paint acts a bit different, that you wipe and level immediately after. I didn't like doing this with DLX.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The toughest wheel coating I've used is the GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor. You can get it here,

GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor 15 ml.

reading the directions seems straight forward.
    since the wheels are new, besides wiping them, any other prep work?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    There's only one choice IMO, and that's Carpro CQuartz DLX!

It's good to 800F, it doesn't flake, run off, haze, nothing! No downsides that I have found.

I've done two sets of new wheels with it, a pair of 22" Chrome GM Replicas that I once placed on my 4x4 Tahoe,(They're pictured in my avatar) but sold them some 7-8 months later, as I was moving back to the Midwest, and those "street scene" V-Rated Nitto Tires, and purty cruiser Wheels weren't going to cut it through midwest winters out in the boonies.

Went back to standard size, but a little wider, a telephone dial type wheel, Brushed Coated Aluminum, with Black accents, and a fresh set of BFG All Terrain 275/70-16 Tires.

Yep, both sets were coated in the house, lugs, locks and all.

The only "trickiness" I noted both times with CQ DLX, was the instructions of telling you to apply, then quickly come behind with an MF Towel and wipe. No good!

As soon as I tried that both times, I started getting some bad smearing to the finish, just too tacky it was, stopped that method, and only applied direct the best I could very carefully, and then not touching them with any towels after for a period of 24 hours.

The final finish with this method came out the smoothest, and best looking, and also figured why start wiping off a coating right after applying?

Yes, CQuartz for the paint acts a bit different, that you wipe and level immediately after. I didn't like doing this with DLX.

So Dlux is pretty straight forward as well. Can I apply this in my home no problem? granted my house is not dust free. do you recommend doing two coats?

Post Thanks / Like

In any case and no doubt with any coating, you want to insure there's no greases or oils present.

I myself used Carpro Eraser, worked well, no problems. In a fix, it is also acceptable to simply make up a bottle of about 10% Iso Alcohol dilution and water, and wipe the wheels down thoroughly in and out.

I don't think you'd hurt a thing by simply mixing 50/50, 70% alcohol and water in a bottle. Even 70% or 90% straight isn't going to take off any factory finishes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

these are the wheels I want to coat

wheel coating recommendation-truck-wheels-rims-black-rhino-fury-6-lug-matte-gunmetal-lay-700-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lopezoscar02 View Post
    So Dlux is pretty straight forward as well. Can I apply this in my home no problem? granted my house is not dust free. do you recommend doing two coats?
    No problems with dust, no need to have a NASA clean room, same with CQUartz for Paint.

Sure, you could do two coats 24 hours apart, but I see no need.

Plus, you'll likely go through pretty close to a large bottle of DLX coating 4 wheels in and out. I never applied DLX "cheaply", and have had zero problems, a fantastic product.

Sure wish they had stuff like these coatings 25-35 years ago!

Clean up becomes a heck of a lot easier too, versus simple waxes and sealants, which are pretty much gone in one month's time on wheels that see dirts, water, brake dust crud, and heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lopezoscar02 View Post
    these are the wheels I want to coat

wheel coating recommendation-truck-wheels-rims-black-rhino-fury-6-lug-matte-gunmetal-lay-700-jpg
    Damn, with such complex spoke design this will be a lot of work. Wheels like that are better done with a sprayer but then it would have to be a pro doing it.
    Bruno Soares

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast