autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: wheel coating recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by lopezoscar02 View Post
    these are the wheels I want to coat

Attachment 67349
    And exactly why you do want to use a coating! (Of some sort!)

My suggestions will be to take the applicator, which in most cases will be something like the Carpro Velvet Microfiber Sheets.

This one will have to be all fingers, and by hand, no foam blocks basically, unless you want to use such for the outer and inner barrels themselves.

Do all the nooks and crannies first. I likely suggest doing all the backs first, being careful of bleed through to the front of the wheels.

Then coat the front faces last. And as I say, all nooks and crannies first, then the faces of the wheels.

When I say crannies, I mean everything, lug holes also. Wrap the MF Suede Sheet around your finger, dribble the product on and apply.

When those MF Sheets start looking maybe a little bit cruddy as you go, toss it and grab another fresh one and start up where you left off.

Post Thanks / Like

Future cleanups, I might suggest a nice set of Wheel Woolies, and some soft brushes sourced here. even some small trim paint brushes might work well to good effect to get in those nooks. After a coating, there will be no need for APC's, or other harsh cleaners. Your simple car shampoo that you use on the rest of the vehicle will be adequate.

Post Thanks / Like

So Dlux is pretty straight forward as well. Can I apply this in my home no problem? granted my house is not dust free. do you recommend doing two coats?
    Sure you can.

DLUX is pretty straight forward. I have seen a rep mention a second coat can be applied 1 hour later.

Gyeon Rim is a bit easier to work with. A second layer can be applied 4 hours later.

C5 is pretty good. Gyeon Rim and DLUX are better in my experience. Now topping C5 with Exo is even better than C5 as a stand alone.

22ple VM1 is looking to be a solid choice. At 6 months in it is performing better than Rim and C5. A bit expensive but it seems to be a strong performer at this point.

DLUX, C5 and Rim will get you about a year with DLUX having a slight edge.

these are the wheels I want to coat

Attachment 67349
    Get yourself some autofiber coating saver applicators. They are much better than the suede applicators.

4. Likes Coatingsarecrack, Goonie75 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One big tip I might offer in regards to new aftermarket wheels. I got burned with those 22" Wheels I bought from a supposed reputable seller.

One wheel had a really bad flat spot. So bad, that a number of attempts were tried to somehow re-balance that wheel, and in the end, it wound up having to be stuck in the back to lessen the crazy front end vibrations I got.

My front seats at 40-50mph were shaking like Jody Foster's Little Space Ship in the movie "Contact" when she went warp speed through the worm hole!

Many times, some of these "so called dealers" offer you a warrantee that ended yesterday. Read the fine print. and perhaps haul all wheels first thing down to a local Tire-Wheel Shop, and have them all spun on a balancer machine to see just how true they are? Then go from there.

I sure wish I'd have done that with those 22's.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    And exactly why you do want to use a coating! (Of some sort!)

My suggestions will be to take the applicator, which in most cases will be something like the Carpro Velvet Microfiber Sheets.

This one will have to be all fingers, and by hand, no foam blocks basically, unless you want to use such for the outer and inner barrels themselves.

Do all the nooks and crannies first. I likely suggest doing all the backs first, being careful of bleed through to the front of the wheels.

Then coat the front faces last. And as I say, all nooks and crannies first, then the faces of the wheels.

When I say crannies, I mean everything, lug holes also. Wrap the MF Suede Sheet around your finger, dribble the product on and apply.

When those MF Sheets start looking maybe a little bit cruddy as you go, toss it and grab another fresh one and start up where you left off.

Which applicators do you recommend using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Sure you can.

DLUX is pretty straight forward. I have seen a rep mention a second coat can be applied 1 hour later.

Gyeon Rim is a bit easier to work with. A second layer can be applied 4 hours later.

C5 is pretty good. Gyeon Rim and DLUX are better in my experience. Now topping C5 with Exo is even better than C5 as a stand alone.

22ple VM1 is looking to be a solid choice. At 6 months in it is performing better than Rim and C5. A bit expensive but it seems to be a strong performer at this point.

DLUX, C5 and Rim will get you about a year with DLUX having a slight edge.

Get yourself some autofiber coating saver applicators. They are much better than the suede applicators.
    So pretty much Rim or Dlux are my best sir?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    One big tip I might offer in regards to new aftermarket wheels. I got burned with those 22" Wheels I bought from a supposed reputable seller.

One wheel had a really bad flat spot. So bad, that a number of attempts were tried to somehow re-balance that wheel, and in the end, it wound up having to be stuck in the back to lessen the crazy front end vibrations I got.

My front seats at 40-50mph were shaking like Jody Foster's Little Space Ship in the movie "Contact" when she went warp speed through the worm hole!

Many times, some of these "so called dealers" offer you a warrantee that ended yesterday. Read the fine print. and perhaps haul all wheels first thing down to a local Tire-Wheel Shop, and have them all spun on a balancer machine to see just how true they are? Then go from there.

I sure wish I'd have done that with those 22's.
    Copy that my friend. I’m going through a really good friend who works for a tire distributor. So he called a friend who directly ordered from the factory cause they were on back order. I’m hoping the come true with no issues but I will definitely check them twice before I hand any cash over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Rim, Dlux, C5 are all good coatings. I went with Dlux as it’s more versatile and can be used on plastic and trim as well.
    you can ceramic coat plastic trims and other external things as well? I thought it was a paint thing. How long does it last before reapply. And do you need to remove it and reapply?

Post Thanks / Like

Havent used it so know nothing about it except that it exists but Migliore has an aerosol SiO2 Rim Coating:

Professional results in a consumer rim coating! Migliore has taken its patented easy to use ceramic coating properties and created an ultra strong formula to protect your prized wheels. The aerosol application of SiO2 Rim allows you to easily coat your wheels just as the professionals would do, hitting all the tough to reach spaces which would normally require airbrushed application. SiO2 Rim's heat resistant formula will protect your wheels from brake dust, dirt, and grime; making them extremely easy to clean for up to a year. SiO2 rim will coat at minimum 8-12 wheels! 1.5 oz.

Post Thanks / Like

Another Dlux vote!
    Jim

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast