autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help me find a replacement for BSD

... to apply on top of Sonax PNS.

I've been happy with the Blackfire One Step, Sonax PNS and a BSD wipe down combination over the last year, but now that the BSD is almost done, it's time to replace it with something more user-friendly. I'm getting a little tired of the grabbiness, I love the hydrophobicity (is that a word?), but I like simple, and easy.

I'm keeping the BF One Step and PNS, so whatever I choose has to work well with these.

I've tried Bead maker, and for user-friendliness it scores 10+, but it does not repel dust as well as BSD (far from close) and the small beads make for easy water-spotting. My BM is now dedicated to my wife's work vehicle and my 17 yr old Sequoia.

So fellow geeks, what do you recommend? And have you used it in combination with PNS?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me find a replacement for BSD

I don’t find BSD any grabbier than PNS - and they play well together. But if you must top PNS with something, have you tried BLACKFIRE’s SIO2 spray? It applies as easy as BM and beads better than BM, but IMHO is just slightly behind BSD in hydrophobic abilities. That is actually a compliment in some ways to the BF product because very, very few spray on products out-bead BSD.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

I second ScottH, or in general any SiO2 Spray. BF is one of the easiest and the large bottle lasts forever.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend the Blackfire SiO2 Spray Sealant. It's extremely hydrophobic and a little goes a long way.

BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant

Post Thanks / Like

ScottH... you're correct the BSD and PNS are both equally grabby, but the difference is that PNS is once in 6 months, while the BSD twice monthly. One of the features I really liked about BM is the ability to use as a quick detail spray, not sure the SiO2 is intended to be used as a quick detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chinee View Post
    ScottH... you're correct the BSD and PNS are both equally grabby, but the difference is that PNS is once in 6 months, while the BSD twice monthly. One of the features I really liked about BM is the ability to use as a quick detail spray, not sure the SiO2 is intended to be used as a quick detailer.
    Chinee you are correct, the BF SIO2 spray sealant is not a quick Detailer and not intended to remove dust or light dirt. It should be applied to a clean car. If you are unsure if it’s the right thing for you, buy a small sample size. I happen to love the product and the 32oz. Bottle I have hardly has a dent in it after at least a half dozen uses. Full disclosure: I happen to like BSD just as much. Both excellent products.

PS from a protection standpoint, PNS needs no help. It’s very stout. But I gather you are topping with another product to add slickness, which I can appreciate. Oddly enough, and as you likely see yourself despite how grabby PNS and BSD seem during application, they are not nearly the dust magnets some might assume them to be.

Good luck...
    ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

After I wash my ride, I really enjoy having a sparkling dirt-free finish. I'm not looking to add slickness, but for a product I can use between washes that won't diminish the performance I see with PNS. In my opinion, BSD and PNS behave very similarly. I use the BSD every 4-6 weeks mostly as a maintenance product to upkeep the hydrophobic qualities.

In Florida, we often have wet roads from sprinklers and afternoon rains, and the ass of the car gets the brunt of dirt and grime. If it's light, I like having a detail spray to wipe off the bumper and rear part of the trunk. I find BSD to be too thick for that purpose. BM is awesome for this purpose, even better than Meg's Ultimate Quik Detail spray. But they don't have the same quality of hydrophobicity (that word again) as BSD, in fact I've not found anything as good as BSD.

I've turned to YouTube for some of my research, and seen maybe diluting the BSD (with water) a bit to reduce the grab, and also mixing it with detail spray like V7, but I'm not convinced that mixing 2 different products is a good thing.

I've always liked Meg's products and there's a new waterless wash available... I'm a bit tempted. Maybe I'll try that on the Sequoia first.

Post Thanks / Like

Diluting BSD is well worth it. Easy application and you still get same results. Dilute it 50/50. There is a German video who does the test of dilution ratios. He found 50/50 works the best.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

9. Thanks oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it much easier to spray BSD in a mf towel to wipe it in and then buff. A short loop nap mf towel to wipe it in and then buff with a split weave mf towel around 500gsm to soak up the residue as effective as possible. Also just 1 prime spray and then 1 spray and apply as far it reaching you which is useally very long way. On a hood is often just 2 sprays needed and 2 on the roof too and then 1 spray per panel is what I useally do.

Also a big tips is to have BSD in another bottle that has a fine mist. And especially if you like to spray it on the paint. I got this tips on a domestic detailing forum to get a Flairosol fine mist spray bottle the kind that builds up a pressure in the bottle as you trigger the spray head. They are working awesome for me with BSD in them and I have another brands spray sealant that comes in such a bottle too. You get a very thin layer and fine mist from these bottles. That I useally only needs to be useing the low nap mf towel to wipe it off with. If I feel like the grabbyness don't go away while wiping it off I use the plusher split weave mf towel to buff it up. And have more mf towels than you are used to use. As you want it to soak up the residue as effective as possible. So flip to a fresh side often and switch to another fresh towel as needed. Definitely if you are wanting to use it as a QD I would get a Flairosol fine mist spray or a spray bottle with a fine mist setting on it. The drawback is when it's very windy outside as the overspray and much product don't land on the vehical LOL. But then it's easy to spray it in a mf towel instead.

You can dilute it 50/50 as you have the PNS as a base protection. And it's gets easier to spread it out and mist it out. I even spread the mist when misting it on to the mf towel I use to wipe it in with. So I don't get big chunks of product in one place.

Have not tested the CG V07 spray sealant and BSD 50/50. But it's a well tried mix and play nice together as in getting you the water behavior from BSD and the extra shine and slickness from the V07. It can be worth to test it out though and see how you like it.

Brian at Apex Auto Detailing Channel on Youtube even use the BSD as a rinseless wash LOL. I think that I will test that out sometime. Don't know the dilution of the BSD in rinseless dilution.

/ Tony

11. Thanks chinee thanked for this post
    Likes ScottH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ochnob View Post
    Diluting BSD is well worth it. Easy application and you still get same results. Dilute it 50/50. There is a German video who does the test of dilution ratios. He found 50/50 works the best
    Diluting 50/50 with V7, water or something else?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast