autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Applied glaze before seramic coating. Do I have any way to fix this mistake?

Hello,

I was mislead by a sales associate to apply glaze (Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish) before ceramic coating (Chemical Guys Carbon Force). I found out this is a no no after reading stuff in internet.

My car is brand new. The process was to wash several times without touch. Then do the final wash with the mitt. Apply clay bar and then Chemical Guys Wipe Out to clean the surface. I then applied the glaze and finally the ceramic coating.

Is the ceramic coating not gonna stick?

Will it fall off within a few months?

Or something worse will happen?

Thanks in advance gor your help.

Mike Phillips

Re: Applied glaze before seramic coating. Do I have any way to fix this mistake?

First...

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

You are correct and the sales guy was un-informed or misleading.

Now that the process is done, you have nothing to lose in my opinion than to drive the car and pay attention to the finish. Most coatings bead water really well. If after a few washes you see the water beading diminishing this "could" be a sign the coating is simply coming off because it didn't make a proper bond. It could also mean it's not a super water beading coating - so hard to say.

IF the water beading continues strong for months - it probably had enough solvent in the coating to enable the coating to BITE onto the paint regardless of what was on there.

If it were me, I'd drive the car and enjoy it.

Next time, follow the proper process.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Applied glaze before seramic coating. Do I have any way to fix this mistake?

Sounds like a redo to me.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Mike Phillips

For what it's worth...

I did something similar on purpose. Here's my article,

BLACKFIRE One Step Topped with PBL Surface Coating - 2019 Chevy Impala

5. Likes coder77, Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by coder77 View Post

Will it fall off within a few months?

Well... you're not going to walk out into the garage some morning only to find the coating slipped off the car and PILED-UP on the floor surrounding the car.

7. Likes coder77 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe visually it looks fine. Obviously I am not a professional detailer but it looks good to me

Applied glaze before seramic coating. Do I have any way to fix this mistake?-bmw-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a leased car and it's been a learning experience. We have our new SUV coming in a few weeks. I'll do that one justice Thanks for the feedback.