autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Waterless washing in garage messes

So just being prepared for coming rainy days and will be doing waterless/rinsless wash through the gary dean way (which requires lot of mf towels which im prepared for). However my garage is tight and bit dark but will make it work.

1). I'm concerned about water being all over the floor (as the method has lot of mf towels soaked in water) Is there any way device or method to catch all the water dripping and some how collect it without getting it saturated on the garage floor?

2). If I'm doing this method it will eventually cause swirl marks as nothing is perfect but doing his 1-2x a week when its raining consecutive days bad idea? I calculated that I'll be taking this car out 2-3x a week. And do my usualy 2bucket / foam gun cleaning 1x a week.

3). Let say I come home and was raining a lot and lot of dirt and mud got splattered everywhere etc.. Probally best I rinse it off with garden hose much as i can before doing the waterless/rinseless right?

4). What is most waterless washes people do in a week? (It depends on my situation and driving but rains here a lot)

I have this ocd where I'm going to bed and don't like having dirt or anything on the car. Only cause it gets dried and crusted on there making it hard to get it off as oppose to immediately going back home and getting rid of it. My mind says just clear it everytime I take it out (which is only 2-3x a week).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waterless washing in garage messes

Wow you are really overthinking this. i’ve Used the Gary Dean method a couple times a week. I certainly have had several cars done without scratching. It doesn’t get much water on the floor at all. Use your common sense if it needs to be scrubbed off first because a lot of crap on it. If you are loading up a towel with mud/debris, it needs to be rinsed first.
    Glen -

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i will get to my zen soon just newbie getting my feet wet. Learning as I go here. haha. Doing this in garage will be nice cause neighbors keep staring (despite not caring) . They just don't get it lol But common sense is good here lol

Post Thanks / Like

If your using a waterless wash you'll be using 12-24 ounces of liquid, you should have zero water on the floor. Even if you dropped the ww on the floor there will be hardly any mess

Rinsless wash using the GDWM you'll use a gallon of product, again minimal liquid on the floor. Should be less then when you pull in with snow or rain on car

Yes if heavy mud is on car rinse first. The more you wash the more chance you'll induce marring, imho rinseless wash is safer for every situation but light dust.

5. Likes Misterpaul, dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    I'm concerned about water being all over the floor (as the method has lot of mf towels soaked in water)
    I don't mean to be pedantic but it sounds like you are discussing a rinseless wash, not a waterless wash?

7. Likes Belo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    If your using a waterless wash you'll be using 12-24 ounces of liquid, you should have zero water on the floor. Even if you dropped the ww on the floor there will be hardly any mess

Rinsless wash using the GDWM you'll use a gallon of product, again minimal liquid on the floor. Should be less then when you pull in with snow or rain on car

Yes if heavy mud is on car rinse first. The more you wash the more chance you'll induce marring, imho rinseless wash is safer for every situation but light dust.
    So light dust I can wipe off anytime with meguiar quick detailed or waterless wash easily right anytime I drive and see the dust or light marks . But not sure if that’s good idea as sometimes brake dust can cling to the paint and seems it gets smeared elsewhere causing swirl marks? (But heard that the waterless is good lubrication so it’s save for the one stroke method)

So how often you think I can get by doing rinseless wash without causing more swirl marks? Not saying I’m gonna do every time but if your in Seattle or that rains a lot it really sucks when you get drenched with rain and then leaving it in garage where you get random things cling to your car and have rain drop minerals after it dries up. Then you clean it up and next day rains again lol. I don’t mind a light quick rinsless wash doing it proper way ... just don’t wanna cause swirl marks which destroys the purpose

And isn’t polishing only like 1x a year thing as doing it more will always take some clear coating off right? Or no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There should be minimal drippings on the floor of the garage. I go waterless in the dead of winter and never had any slip and falls from frozen water.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't worry about the floor, it will dry up. As far as leaving swirl marks, well, it's all about technique. When making a pass inspect your square, there should be a single line of dirt, then just roll that section out of the way and keep using the square till the square is exhausted and move the the next, clean square. Pre-treating is VERY important, so make extra cleaning solution for this purpose exclusively.

Don't sweat itWaterless washing in garage messes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips has a video here at Autogeek that shows how to do a wash like this safely (without inducing swirls). Effectively, folds a microfiber in quarters, and holds the front of a towel and "rolls" it to present continually new towel surface as he is making a wipe. Once he reaches the end of that section of the towel, usually one swipe, he turns the towel over and uses a fresh side. So he gets eight swipes from a towel, all without touching the paint with a dirty section of towel. For me, doing the hood of my Lexus ES350, I take 2 towels plus 1 swipe with a third towel. Works great.

As to water on the floor, I do this process in my garage, all winter long, and don't get 15 drops of water ever hit the floor. I wring the towel out so that it is just drier than dripping. None of the solution (I use ONR or N-914 - I go back and forth) that I put on horizontal surfaces ever gets to the floor, and only a few drops of solution applied to vertical panels ever hit the floor, usually from my front doors, as they are bigger surfaces, and I don't dry them fast enough to avoid a drop or two. To me, if you're getting wash solution on the ground doing a rinseless wash, you're using too much solution on your towels.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually wash my cars in the garage with a bucket of ONR and wash mitts or towels. This is not a waterless wash, just a rinseless, so there is more excess water dripping of the car than the waterless, but it is minimal. Probably the most water that gets on the floor is when I wash the side mirrors and my mitt drips directly on the ground, but I just wipe it with my shoe to spread it out so it evaporates faster.

Driving in the rain and then parking in the garage results in more puddles than my rinseless wash.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast