autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cleaning tires and rims

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCanuck View Post
    Not a bad idea at all as long as your set up with a proper jack and jack stands so you can do it safely.
    Jack stands somehow give me the creeps like it’s gonna collapse or something. Has anyone have Horror stories of it collapsing. Especially like some compact suv I have . My mazda3 before was hatchback but my x3 is heavier now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mckobe View Post
    Only time i would be jacking up wheels is if i had a shop
    Due to danger or just hassle?

Doesn’t shops with hydraulic lifts but dangerous I saw some collapse etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    For my personal vehicles, I clean the wheels and tires up very thoroughly when its time to rotate the tires. I'm not going to take them off just to clean, but while they're already off, why not?
    When should you rotate tires? And do you use a automatic torque wrench? I’m looking to buy one (I don’t have compressor though)

Also my lugs will be colored so are there sockets that have some padding inside to protect scratches of pugs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    When should you rotate tires? And do you use a automatic torque wrench? I’m looking to buy one (I don’t have compressor though)

Also my lugs will be colored so are there sockets that have some padding inside to protect scratches of pugs?

Most people recommend rotating at 6k mile intervals. I'm not sure what an 'automatic' torque wrench is, but yes, I do torque mine down to 100 ft/lb.

If you have a couple buckets, it's pretty convenient to put the wheels on them as shown here.

Cleaning tires and rims-wheels-jpg
    2005 Dodge SRT4 400whp/480wtq | 2015 Nissan Frontier (daily driver) Both are corrected and coated with CQuartz UK 3.0 by me
    I detail out of my garage as a side job on the weekends and do about 6-8 cars per month.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like your selling tires lol

Is putting tire on and off pretty complicated

Meaning if one screw up tire can wobble and get lose

Automatic torque wrench where those guys who are roadside assistance carry portable drill type thing and remove wheels etc. I don’t wanna remove or put back via regular hand wrench

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished mine earlier this week. I wanted to clean the wheels front and back so I thought it would be a good time to clean the wheel wells. This is not my DD so it should look nice for a while.

2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MX5HIGH View Post
    I just finished mine earlier this week. I wanted to clean the wheels front and back so I thought it would be a good time to clean the wheel wells. This is not my DD so it should look nice for a while.

Looks nice . I’m guessing the wheel well cleaning is for people who just want it clean but doesn’t serve much purpose other then that?

Post Thanks / Like

Jack stands somehow give me the creeps like it’s gonna collapse or something. Has anyone have Horror stories of it collapsing. Especially like some compact suv I have . My mazda3 before was hatchback but my x3 is heavier now [/qupte]

I've never heard of jack stands collapsing if done right and the correct ones being used for the weight of the vehicle. An X3 isnt that large of a vehicle. I've seen pickup trucks safely mounted on stands. The who purpose they exist is to safely get a vehicle off the ground and stable.

Doesn’t shops with hydraulic lifts but dangerous I saw some collapse etc

Are you asking if the lifts are stable and safe? The four post lifts I've seen and used are very stable and safe. The key is to properly lift the vehicle. Any accidents most likely come from the vehicle notbeing positioned properly when raised by the lift. If you have access to one somewhere they make any repair work really easy and fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    Most people recommend rotating at 6k mile intervals. I'm not sure what an 'automatic' torque wrench is, but yes, I do torque mine down to 100 ft/lb.
    The vehicles we own all say 5K to put them half way between the 10K oil changes. I don't go that long for oil, but do the tires at around 5~6K too.

100 ft/lb for the lug nuts/bolts? Wow. Is that what the manual indicates? I've never seen any for a car that high. Vehicles I own are all in the 80's.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The vehicles we own all say 5K to put them half way between the 10K oil changes. I don't go that long for oil, but do the tires at around 5~6K too.

100 ft/lb for the lug nuts/bolts? Wow. Is that what the manual indicates? I've never seen any for a car that high. Vehicles I own are all in the 80's.
    So when you rotating tires yourself which ones go where etc I think dealer forgets about tire change sometimes

Mike Phillips

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast