autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to prevent leather seats from looking like this

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Griot's Garage makes GREAT leather products across the board, been using them for years. That said, I bought Connelly leather cleaner from the clearance store here and use that as a cleaner, it's very concentrated. To keep my seats protected in my newish car is Gyeon Leather, incredible product, they even have an actual coating for the leather as wellHow to prevent leather seats from looking like this

Spending a little bit more on quality will make a difference, plus doing it a couple times a yearHow to prevent leather seats from looking like thisHow to prevent leather seats from looking like this

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    So basically you need a wash and some coating right? I thought I just needed voting but makes sense how I will get rid of dirt etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
    I like to use the Blackfire Leather Complete on new leather. Quickly clean & protect your leather seats in just one easy step.

BLACKFIRE Leather Complete
    I like this type of idea

But how effective is it compare to actual 3 step process

Clean
    Conditition
    And dressing

It will cut time but not sure of actual results

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    I like this type of idea

Clean
    Conditition
    And dressing

The condition is the dressing. Also are you sure you have leather as it's an option? Most of the ones I detail have a leatherette seats called SensaTec,same care as leather but seem to wear better. An easy way to tell is if you have contrast stitching it's leather, same color seats and stiching is the SensaTec

Mike Phillips

My experience is the only way you can avoid the appearance of wearing is to not "wear" the leather i.e. don't sit in the seats or drive the car.

Because that's not an option (for most people), accept that the high wear areas ARE going to show wear. It's normal.

5. Likes ssnimrod, BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    My experience is the only way you can avoid the appearance of wearing is to not "wear" the leather i.e. don't sit in the seats or drive the car.

Because that's not an option (for most people), accept that the high wear areas ARE going to show wear. It's normal.

Haha so true, what's difficult with the "premium brands" is most people think it'll last forever. I've owned and detailed my fair share of BMW's and do believe that their materials are mostly of good quality and seem to wear down less but everything you touch or is exposed to weather will eventually wear down. The leather option on the X3 starts at $1700 and most of the ones I've seen are leatherette which do wear better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

S

G

Post Thanks / Like

So, I've started to learn the art of leather repair out of necessity for fixing my own car. If you're BMW has Pigmented leather; characterized by uniform color and pattern, doesn't scratch easy (think fingernail dragging easy), and doesn't absorb water and change color with water application then a quality cleaner and protectant is in order.

I now use Geyon Leather Shield but there are other products around that will do a good job.

From the leather care world, the standard of care they seem to recommend is that of safe cleaning and then abrasion protection (which the Geyon does).

As for the creases, it's gonna happen. It's part of the leather drying and just use. Once it gets bad, the seat can be stripped, rehydrated, and refinished to brand new (or better than) with just the crease in the leather visible but hardly noticeable.

As for sweat or other contaminants, just clean them off after. A quality MF with some warm water will even do the trick between your deep cleanings with a leather cleaner.

I wouldn't use a cover; because why get the leather to begin with. As the saying goes, all good things come to an end. But, with diligence, that end can be pushed far down the road. Enjoy your new car!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    I like this type of idea

Clean
    Conditition
    And dressing

The Blackfire Leather Complete is perfect for maintaining new leather. If the leather is old, dried out and very dirty than you would get better results using the two step method with the Blackfire Interior Cleaner & Blackfire Leather Conditioner. BLACKFIRE Leather Care Combo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12