autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Please help Identify staining/clear coat failure!

Big problems, This stain has been there for a while. I assumed it was something from the trim. I figured it would come out with a simple polish and forgot about it.

I detailed the car last week. Washed yesterday and there it was. Looking even worse.

Please, whatever you guys think it is? Suggestions, anecdotes, any and all information would be helpful.

It's the stain that starts right under the rubber trim. I don't know what the hologram looking thing is either but the stain is what concerns me

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please help Identify staining/clear coat failure!

Car came out good otherwise.

That stain is on this side in the back there. Below the last window in that back corner. Right below the rubber trim

Post Thanks / Like

Bumpity bump for eldo2K, Mike or anyone?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

Bumpity bump for eldo2K, Mike or anyone?

Hang tight.... catching up...

Mike Phillips

Here's your pictures, I cropped out the area I think you're talking about and then uploaded to your gallery here on AGO so I can insert them.

Really hard to say what this is?

Kind of looks like sunlight causing haze?

Is it possible it's white primer showing through the basecoat?

That doesn't look like clearcoat failure though...

Mike Phillips

Suggestion...

Maybe move the vehicle out of direct sunlight and then take a picture.

Post Thanks / Like

If the plastic trim or and rubber seal above the stain. Is oxidized or maybe a residue from some kind of product. It looks almost like it's follow the bodyline from the run off from that part. And if it's have been going on for a while it can be build up quite thick and accelerate it to when it has started to build up. Cause it seems like you may have been spreading it out with the polisher to create the haze above the stain.

To remove it would be try different chemicals that can desolve it. An high alkaline APC and if that don't do the trick a tar remover. If it's still there and if you notice anything to make a dent in the stain you may need many applications. Next step would be a clay bar and see how that goes remember to fold often if it works. And follow up with a polish or cleaner wax. Maybe you can use a compound by hand on the thicker stain and don't use much pressure as it can be very aggressive on a smaller area and keep counting on the passes you do over it. Also hold a mf towel under the stain when you spray the chemicals on it. And wipe it off with starting around it and work your way into the center of the stain. So you don't spread it out even more. Flip to a fresh side or place on the mf towel you wipe it off with so it can trap the stain residue that gets off effectively.

It can be that something gets trapped under the trim when you are washing or protecting. And when you drive off it runs down and dries on the paint. Possible you can have something stuck in the run off channel of rain water. So it's takes longer to whatever it is to run through it. Do you have anything looking like this for an example in the door jambs or the rear hatch or anywhere else?

8. Likes BillE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to take a better picture, impossible to know what you are talking about with the glare and whatnot. "It's the stain that starts right under the rubber trim." Im not sure I see anything.

Is it these scratches up top or the glare/haze?

Post Thanks / Like

I think I see what he's referring to. Starts up by the window (hard to see), but continues down where his hat and corner of phone are in the pic.

Is this correct, fight?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mavin View Post
    You need to take a better picture, impossible to know what you are talking about with the glare and whatnot. "It's the stain that starts right under the rubber trim." Im not sure I see anything.

Is it these scratches up top or the glare/haze?

Its neither it's actually the white stain in between the spots right above the circle you drew. The thing you drew a circle around just showed up in the picture. The whitesh stain has been there for months and didn't come off with menzerna 2500. I tried a couple chemicals on it too a while ago.

Sorry for the confusion everyone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast