autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please help Identify staining/clear coat failure!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I have never used the Permatex black rubber sealant, but I have used many, many of their products and they are solid performers.

I have used the 3M product you mentioned, and like just about any 3M product, it works very well.
    Thanks Pual, I dont doubt they are solid products I just dont think These products are what I need. The directions say it can ruin paint.

I was hoping there was something more mild but IDK I've never dealt with anything like this before.

The other side is loose to but not as bad. But that side doesn't stain. I dont know that the window trim is supposed to be sealed down that hard?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Thanks Pual, I dont doubt they are solid products I just dont think These products are what I need. The directions say it can ruin paint.

I was hoping there was something more mild but IDK I've never dealt with anything like this before.

The other side is loose to but not as bad. But that side doesn't stain. I dont know that the window trim is supposed to be sealed down that hard?
    I get what you are saying.

I'll do a little digging around and get back to you........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Thanks fightnews thanked for this post
    Likes fightnews liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent you a PM........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent you a PM........
    Sweet thanks I'll read and get back to you. Appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like

Sent you a PM........
    I didn't get the pm IDK why it didn't go through. I just deleted my inbox to make room.

Fyi carpro spotless just did a great job getting rid of it when panel wipe or apc couldn't do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Permatex black rubber silicone.sealant/adhesive is a staple of mine.

Like anything with silicone the mating surfaces have to be clean for it to work. Wipe what you don't want with with blue shop towels, as in excess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    Permatex black rubber silicone.sealant/adhesive is a staple of mine.

Like anything with silicone the mating surfaces have to be clean for it to work. Wipe what you don't want with with blue shop towels, as in excess.
    What if it gets on the paint though? Do you think sealing the corner of that window trim would fix my problem? I dont know anything about auto body.

I dont understand what could even be under there for this long to cause this constant staining. I feel like I've been noticing this for nearly a year now. It's not even a big window.

You would think whatever it is would have washed away by now as much as I wash my car.

Post Thanks / Like

The seal seems very oxidized. Some of these can show up on lighter color vehicals as black streaking. It's basicly like the rubber trim is failing and the residue runs off. These you can see on motorhomes and RV and boats more often but happens on vehicals too. The white Ford Focus I maintain has in his earlier life proberly been doozed with harsh chemicals and also think that they have used concentrated washer fluid. This has really takeing a huge hit on the rubber seals. Don't say that you have done this. But even in strong sunlight these can get as this.

What year modell is it. And how was the Kia warranty on this one. I had 7 years warranty on the Kia cee'd SW that's an 11' but they have had a big drive on Kia during those years so warranty was very generous. Otherwise I'm wondering how the clips are that holds the seal in place and tight. Some of these can be very easy to fix and even the whole seals may not be coating a lot. So can be worth to check out. Do you have any certified Kia autoshops near you? Or an independent mechanic shop that works on Kias. They can have seen the same problem before. And can get you a sense on what you getting in to. Just some thoughts but can be very different in the US than where I live.

The modern vehicals uses the window trim and rubber seals as a rain water channel so it runs off. Think about it and look out of the windows around in the vehical. And you don't get run offs from the roof or any else. Even the run off from the hood don't useally reach any windows as it leads away with the bodylines and in the window trim and rubber seals. The problem on some vehicals is that these places is not so smooth and many things loose dirt can attach to. And this is a big problem on some vehicals that it's accumulate dirt in these over time. If organic dirt it's rottens and gets a goey mess. That can be sitting there for a long time and get re-wet and dry and can cause damage down the road. I don't think that we that's a little OCD at getting everything clean. Will be liking what we would see if we would take off all of the window trim and rubber seals and take a look under them LOL. Just know what you could see in the bodyshops when they have stripped all of the trim and rubber seals.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123