autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Waterless washing with Meguiars quick detailing

So rains a lot here in Seattle. And I'm discouraged when I do a 2 bucket wash with pressure washer foam gun. Only to find it raining minutes after or same day. I drive off and mud water, debris and other contaminents get on the paint. I was told that I shouldn't do foam gun and wash to get rid of these instead do waterless spray detailing.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G144...-2-spons&psc=1

Is what I'm using now and follow the guide from chemical guys

YouTube

I know it requires lot of mf towels with one side wipes etc.. then turn over (fold etc).. then use new mf towels. Many on comment section despise this but the detailer will use as lubricant and one wipe (snake method?) won't cause swirl marks.

SO questions

1). Raining a lot should I do this method? Normally I'll wash 2x a week (one time will be 2 bucket method and pressure washer/foam gun. Second wash will be middle of the week and do the 2 bucket / and foam gun method

2). I'm guessing I'll be using like 10-15 mf towels lol so if I do the waterless wash 2x a week (depending on rain etc), that will be lot of mf towels. Then I'll just put it all in the laundry and wash with mf detergent and low air dry.

3). Is this brand good for waterless washing? Or should i find a specific brand that will produce better results and safer.

Anyways, Do worry about scratches but TRUSTING that the detailer will lubricate area enough where one swipe (snake method) will get one panel done. Then use different mf towel side to spray again and get remainder out to bring out clean shine.

I posted something similar but this is new thread so i can get final summary and actually take action and get ready for fall winter where it rains every week (almost)

I'm sure I should look out for any rocks on top etc that might get dragged which is quite scary though). hmm. in that case probally good to just rinse with garden hose car first right (pressure wash seems bit too much)

Any one experience in my situation or experts please help this newbie

Mike Phillips

Re: Waterless washing with Meguiars quick detailing

I lived in Densmore, Washington for a very brief time. I found I hated the traffic and crime so much I didn't what do what my friends kept telling me to do and that was to,

Get used to it

So returned to Oregon. Completely understand the rain issue as I lived in Oregon for 41 years. Would never move back but not just due to the rain factor.

When you live in a place that rains a lot and the car you're taking care of is a daily driver, you might consider doing weekly washes and just let go of the frequent waterless washing to try to keep the car clean and shiny because it simply isn't going to last. By the time you put your supplies away it will probably cloud-up and rain.

Besides that, the difference between a waterless wash and a spray detailer is "usually" a quality waterless wash offers more cleaning while a quality spray detailer offers good cleaning and more gloss and shine.

A waterless wash can be used to remove accumulated dirt.

A spray detailer is for removing,

Light dust
    Fingerprints
    Smudges

If you want to use a spray detailer to wash your car the trick is 2 things,

Lots of towels
    Spray down an AMPLE amount of product, not just a mist or two

3. Likes The Guz, bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot more rinseless in the NW than waterless. Especially with the amount of dirt that was on the truck in the chemical guys video. Did you see the dirt on the towel? He was basically wiping that on the paint. I use my towels with one wipe then rolling it with waterless or rinseless. Look up “Gary dean method. I use about 8-10 towels with either method”. Here’s a breakdown of different lubricants I found useful

Quick detailer: smudges, fingerprint, light dust.

Waterless wash: in between washes, after light rain, basic dirty ness from driving.

Rinseless wash: semi dirty car from traffic, puddle splashed, traffic grime.

Bucket wash: pretty dirty car
    If any mud or thick dirt or grime I would not do anything but a bucket wash. I don’t do a 2 bucket anymore. I use one bucket with 6-7 wash mitts. Use about one per every 1-2 panels.

I personally would bucket wash that much dirt from that truck..... rinseless at minimum.

What I do to keep Clean during rainy months is mix up a 3 gallon bucket of McKee’s n-914 rinseless with a gamma seal (screw on lid). I have 10 or so wash microfiber ready.

I’ll pre spray 2 panels with the same solution from a Kwazar bottle (double pump from video) let it sit for 30-60 seconds hopefully to soften up the grime.

Then I dunk towel in solution and ring out till still very wet and barely dripping. Wipe down one panel using Gary Dean method. Dry.

I will then spray a 3rd panel to let dwell while I’m cleaning 2nd panel.

Lot more work than what the CG did but if you are serious about taking care of your paint it’s worth it.

And you seem to be a lot into chemical guys video and I prefer that video over reading..... I feel you can get better info from Mike and other professional with better technique. That video you posted is actuallly what turned me off from chemical guys videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes bob m liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I lived in Densmore, Washington for a very brief time. I found I hated the traffic and crime so much I didn't what do what my friends kept telling me to do and that was to,

Get used to it

So returned to Oregon. Completely understand the rain issue as I lived in Oregon for 41 years. Would never move back but not just due to the rain factor.

When you live in a place that rains a lot and the car you're taking care of is a daily driver, you might consider doing weekly washes and just let go of the frequent waterless washing to try to keep the car clean and shiny because it simply isn't going to last. By the time you put your supplies away it will probably cloud-up and rain.

Besides that, the difference between a waterless wash and a spray detailer is "usually" a quality waterless wash offers more cleaning while a quality spray detailer offers good cleaning and more gloss and shine.

A waterless wash can be used to remove accumulated dirt.

A spray detailer is for removing,

Light dust
    Fingerprints
    Smudges

If you want to use a spray detailer to wash your car the trick is 2 things,

Lots of towels
    Spray down an AMPLE amount of product, not just a mist or two

Hello Expert Mike,
    I trust your advice cause you been there and done that and wrote the book..lol (I check your vids a lot too!)
    Secondly, never heard of Desmore. But I’m guessing it rains up there too (unless its in eastern wa.. I’ll google later) . Crime neighborhood? I’ll definitely google more lol
    Are we talking Portland cause I don’t know where else it rains in Oregon.
    But glad you can feel the rain issue and give practical advice. If I was in California, it would be much more fun detailing cars. But I’ll accept my lot in life and make the best of it.
    So my X3 is not daily driver. I keep it in garage and take it out probably 3x a week and then it is garaged (sometimes more depending on my schedule)
    So questions I have are
    1). When I get hit with a rain (either hardly any debris, mild dirt/dust, or a lot), I can park it in garage and I’m guessin I should immediately do the waterless wash (and technique posted by Coatingsarecrack ) Or am I able to wait next day. Go to sleep and do it in morning. Seems like it doesn’t matter? I do know I should as mineral deposits from rain will be left as well as water stains.
    I found this on amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Aero-Cosmetic...s%2C198&sr=8-3
    And this on autogeek
    Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash, no rinse car wash
    Will both be sufficient?

I’m guessing I will need lot of MF towels with one stroke and then pretty much flip fold. Etc.. Just assumed that the lubrication and lot of spray I put on will basically guard from scratching and limit mf towel usage. But I’ll check out Coatingsarecrack video for proper technique.. The chemical guys got lot of heat from people so not sure if I go that route lol

Guess if waterless wash cleans more of the “dirtiness” of the car, and spray detail like one I have meguiars detail quick spray takes off light marks etc.. I can probably do both one after another to add shine lol.

Well if you have a better waterless wash to get I’ll take that route too. (then one above I suggested).
    Meanwhile, I’ll spray loads of meguiar for current waterless wash while waiting for which watereless wash to get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I do a lot more rinseless in the NW than waterless. Especially with the amount of dirt that was on the truck in the chemical guys video. Did you see the dirt on the towel? He was basically wiping that on the paint. I use my towels with one wipe then rolling it with waterless or rinseless. Look up “Gary dean method. I use about 8-10 towels with either method”. Here’s a breakdown of different lubricants I found useful

Waterless wash: in between washes, after light rain, basic dirty ness from driving.

If any mud or thick dirt or grime I would not do anything but a bucket wash. I don’t do a 2 bucket anymore. I use one bucket with 6-7 wash mitts. Use about one per every 1-2 panels.

I personally would bucket wash that much dirt from that truck..... rinseless at minimum.

What I do to keep Clean during rainy months is mix up a 3 gallon bucket of McKee’s n-914 rinseless with a gamma seal (screw on lid). I have 10 or so wash microfiber ready.

I’ll pre spray 2 panels with the same solution from a Kwazar bottle (double pump from video) let it sit for 30-60 seconds hopefully to soften up the grime.

Then I dunk towel in solution and ring out till still very wet and barely dripping. Wipe down one panel using Gary Dean method. Dry.

Lot more work than what the CG did but if you are serious about taking care of your paint it’s worth it.

And you seem to be a lot into chemical guys video and I prefer that video over reading..... I feel you can get better info from Mike and other professional with better technique. That video you posted is actuallly what turned me off from chemical guys videos.

Are you the Auburn guy? I think so. But yeah I did see the chemical guys video and seems many spotted the fact he was spreading the dirt over to cause scratch. While other said that the waterless wash spray acts a a lubricant (if sprayed a lot I guess?) and you can do it by panels then use new towel to rebuff and take away excess. But I’m gonna check the link you provided. As the one by Chemical guys does get my heart pounding.
    So waterless and rinseless.. I know now what waterless is but rinseless is this basically same term not sure (I gotta google this too) lol
    What do you mean you wipe with one wipe then roll with waterless / rinselss. (you mean you spray something else before). Yeah sorry guess explaining can be little more tricky then seeing video
    So the breakdown is basically from light to heavy dirtiness. Rinseless basically takes the cake for more dirty of the car . Hmm now I have to go find what to buy for that. Whoa all this adding up $$ (porter cable too next omg lol)
    But that’s great I’m glad I get too see which route too go depending what the rain did to my car that day.
    Do you wash right after in garage *if raining outside. Or next day is fine too. Sometimes I come in late.
    Would it be ok to basically just rinse the heavy dirt or grime with garden hose then take it back to the garage and waterless or rinesless… cause my neighbors prob think I have some condition washing too many times lol
    So after 6 or 7 mitts you use .. I’m guessing throwing that in the laundry with mf detergent and low drying setting right.. immediately

I’ll look int McKee’s . Just so many brands out there I just go by ratings usually lol So it takes you 10 mf towels for whole car. Guessing each side so 20 fresh sides.
    Kwazar bottle *hmm another thing too look at.
    I watched only two chemical guy video and both had lot of backlash (not saying they are wrong etc) but without even seeing comments I thought I can be more careful. There products are great though.
    Will you are in same boat as me living in PNW.. Where rain can be an ally and not some hazard.. Thanks for sharing your details as I will COPY IT!! Lol it’s copyrighted
    So you mind if I ask you questions PM if something seems odd. But your description seems pretty straight forward.

BTW.. is your garage small? Mine is small so will be little squeeze to do all this indoors lol

Post Thanks / Like

You can do a “rinseless” with one big red sponge (BRS) and a product called ONR aka optimum no rinse.

Yvan has some videos out there I think eventually he was going to do one with Mike as well for the ONR with BRS washing

You just need a bucket, water, BRS, ONR and some towels for drying

It’s so easy. There are tons of flavors of the week as far as rinseless and waterless washes out there but ONR is always a good choice

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

So I bought the McKee 914 and 24 mf towels lol do you do this in your garage or even stop by some parking lot when no one is looking lol

10. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    So I bought the McKee 914 and 24 mf towels lol do you do this in your garage or even stop by some parking lot when no one is looking lol

I usually do rinseless in garage but will do waterless anywhere

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animescreen View Post
    Are you the Auburn guy? I think so. But yeah I did see the chemical guys video and seems many spotted the fact he was spreading the dirt over to cause scratch. While other said that the waterless wash spray acts a a lubricant (if sprayed a lot I guess?) and you can do it by panels then use new towel to rebuff and take away excess. But I’m gonna check the link you provided. As the one by Chemical guys does get my heart pounding.
    So waterless and rinseless.. I know now what waterless is but rinseless is this basically same term not sure (I gotta google this too) lol
    What do you mean you wipe with one wipe then roll with waterless / rinselss. (you mean you spray something else before). Yeah sorry guess explaining can be little more tricky then seeing video
    So the breakdown is basically from light to heavy dirtiness. Rinseless basically takes the cake for more dirty of the car . Hmm now I have to go find what to buy for that. Whoa all this adding up $$ (porter cable too next omg lol)
    But that’s great I’m glad I get too see which route too go depending what the rain did to my car that day.
    Do you wash right after in garage *if raining outside. Or next day is fine too. Sometimes I come in late.
    Would it be ok to basically just rinse the heavy dirt or grime with garden hose then take it back to the garage and waterless or rinesless… cause my neighbors prob think I have some condition washing too many times lol
    So after 6 or 7 mitts you use .. I’m guessing throwing that in the laundry with mf detergent and low drying setting right.. immediately

I’ll look int McKee’s . Just so many brands out there I just go by ratings usually lol So it takes you 10 mf towels for whole car. Guessing each side so 20 fresh sides.
    Kwazar bottle *hmm another thing too look at.
    I watched only two chemical guy video and both had lot of backlash (not saying they are wrong etc) but without even seeing comments I thought I can be more careful. There products are great though.
    Will you are in same boat as me living in PNW.. Where rain can be an ally and not some hazard.. Thanks for sharing your details as I will COPY IT!! Lol it’s copyrighted
    So you mind if I ask you questions PM if something seems odd. But your description seems pretty straight forward.

BTW.. is your garage small? Mine is small so will be little squeeze to do all this indoors lol
    Sure you can PM me. To learn wiping technique google or you tube Gary Dean rinseless methods.