autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color Mismatch

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Color Mismatch

Yeah the probably didn’t mix right. Plastic or metal once primed shouldn’t matter. Unfortunately in the papers you signed when you picked up usually release company if issues. With excuses they were giving I wish you good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks fricknfrack thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank everyone for the opinions. I am going to request a full refund, and if that is declined, I will pursue a credit card chargeback. I do not trust them to properly remedy the work. In addition to the excuses provided, they offered to repaint my fender the wrong colour to match the paint on the hood for free to "blend" the adjacent panels. In addition, I believe they are lying to me that the vertical contours of the hood where it meets the fender was even painted, as this paint still matches the original exactly. They pointed to this match as proof that the correct colour was used. If that was the case, how could the top of the hood be so off?

Mike Phillips

Letting them have another chance is kind of a crap shoot. They have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. There is no "close". So it's either right or wrong.

Even with all the best technology available to body shops now days, I think color matching is still difficult to get 100% perfect. It's my biggest concern when I have to deal with it.

Also for everyone reading this into the future, this is the original and primary function of lights from

SCANGRIP Lights

SCANGRIP didn't get into the "car detailing" business or industry, it just so happens their lights work good for us. SCANGRIP lights are and were primarily developed to provide accurate light for color matching.

From the SCANGRIP website

Lighting solutions for the painting industry
    Being the most comprehensive and sophisticated of its kind in the world, the new generation SCANGRIP lights for the painting industry are made for colour matching, detailing and general paint work and are usable everywhere a painted surface needs inspection.

Maybe tell the painter about SCANGRIP lights and give them this link,

SCANGRIP Sunmatch 3

I think all body shops would benefit from a professional tool like this simply to "help" avoid issues like the OP is sharing here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeskies View Post
    The body shop is apparently the top-rated location in my region, and is used by all dealers in the area.
    Dealers never use the best shop, just cheapest or best kickback. Good shops don't work with most dealerships and some don't even take insurance jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with trying to get a chargeback is they essentially have offered to fix it which is what you are seeking/requesting so the credit card company will take their side likely

They have a 50/50 chance. They know you are gonna be seeking perfection. My thought is Have them redo it and if it’s not what you want don’t take the car back have them either then refund you or figure out how to make it to your satisfaction. Also would be asking them for a complimentary loaner/rental car during their redo work as a going the extra mile gesture

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Problem with trying to get a chargeback is they essentially have offered to fix it which is what you are seeking/requesting so the credit card company will take their side likely

They have a 50/50 chance. They know you are gonna be seeking perfection. My thought is Have them redo it and if it’s not what you want don’t take the car back have them either then refund you or figure out how to make it to your satisfaction. Also would be asking them for a complimentary loaner/rental car during their redo work as a going the extra mile gesture

I won't be pursuing a chargeback until trying to resolve the problem with the merchant. They haven't offered to properly fix it as of yet. They offered to paint my top bumper the same incorrect color they painted the hood. I understand that color matching can be tricky at times, but I shouldn't be able to see a difference from 20 ft away. They claimed the entire hood was painted using the colour code pulled from the vehicle, and if they remixed the paint and resprayed the hood, it would come out the same. Why would this be the case? Shouldn't they spray test strips, play with the tinting, play with the dispensing speed, etc. Another problem I have with this assertion is that while the top of the hood does not match the original color, the sides of the hood match the fender perfectly. Either the sides of the hood were not painted, or they were able to colour match that properly but messed up the painting of the top of the hood. Either way, I am currently being lied to. I think it is more likely the sides of the hood were not painted, because I don't see how it's possible for the latter to occur.

When I pointed out the the colour did not match, he said, "it's the exact same color. I see no difference" or "Difference is due to metal vs plastic" or "Difference is due to factory vs shop paint" and "it's normal for dust to get in the clear coat". When I pointed out defects in the PPF and window tint, he was hard pressed to agree that things were off. I understand that they don't want to lose money or redo work, but they haven't offered to truly fix it as of yet, nor do I feel they are willing to admit it. The situation would be different if just the colour was a little off or just a few spots of the clear coat needed to be sanded and polished or just the PPF needed to be redone or just tint on a couple windows needed to be reapplied. But everything they did was not done to a reasonable quality and either did not notice or did not care.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the color of painted plastic parts and metal parts will look different over time being exposed to sun. They don't always color fade the same. However, you are dealing with new paint.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12