autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird poop

Post Thanks / Like

Bird poop

The glass hood of my suv has bird poop. I can't remove it over a year. It sticks like glue.
    Is there a way to remove it?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bird poop

Quote Originally Posted by sito View Post
    The glass hood of my suv...
    A glass hood? Now that’s something I’ve
    never seen. Is it, perhaps, Fiberglass?
    Lexan? Polycarbonate?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

3. Likes mckobe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying it's been on for a year? Or you've been trying to remove it for a year?

5. Likes mckobe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe glass roof?

If it's on the glass I would try scraping it off with a razor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Are you saying it's been on for a year? Or you've been trying to remove it for a year?
    It stuck on glass over a year. I don't want to use wool steel to scrape it off since it will scratch the glass

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried a glass polish or claying?

Post Thanks / Like

razor blade and soapy water
    Why would you let it sit and bake for a year?

Mike Phillips

Here's my tip/technique...

This article is from 2012

Get a towel completely saturated wet. Place the towel on the bird poop. Add some more water like this,

Take a clean microfiber polishing cloth, fold it four ways to create a thick, plush wiping cloth.

Wet the cloth with water until the entire cloth is saturated but not to the point where water is running down the hood. The idea is to have plenty of water present to soak into the dried bird dropping.

Let it soak for about an hour and then wash.

Unless the bird poop is a form of Krypton, it should wash off after water, (a solvent) has done it's thing and softened it.

What happens to your skin if you go swimming for an hour or sit in a hot tub?

It gets soft. Water softens. Water dissolves. The key is KEEPING the water ON the bird poop and you can do this with a microfiber towel.

Mike Phillips

Here's the original article....

Tips and Tricks: How to safely remove a dried bird bomb or bird dropping

Here's this technique used on a real, dried bird dropping. When I originally wrote this article I had to use simulated bird dropping.

Dried bird dropping

Take a clean microfiber polishing cloth, fold it four ways to create a thick, plush wiping cloth.

Wet the cloth with water until the entire cloth is saturated but not to the point where water is running down the hood. The idea is to have plenty of water present to soak into the dried bird dropping.

Allow some time to go by to let the water do it's work...

Let's take a peek...

Yep, it's liquid again...

Carefully scrunch the microfiber towel around the dropping and lift straight up...

Now dispose of the microfiber towel in a safe way...

That's how you safely remove a dried bird dropping... now wash the area clean.

Note: For health safety reasons it's a good idea to wear gloves when doing this.

Also, dispose of towel in a sanitary manner.

Mike Phillips

From 2017

How to safely remove a dried bird dropping by Mike Phillips

First - If at all possible remove a bird dropping as soon as it's discovered and before it can dry. The acid in the bird dropping can permanently etch the paint if not removed immediately.

If the bird dropping has already dried, then here's how you can safely remove it without scratching your car's finish. Note that dried bird droppings can contain abrasive particles in them so this is why you want to take these simple precautions.

A bird dropping can etch your car's clearcoat finish in under 5 minutes!

Now in the picture above it's apparent that the bird dropping has already dried like cement onto the paint. The reason you want to keep a spray detailer or a waterless wash in your car with a few clean microfiber towels (and also some nitrile gloves), is so AS SOON AS POSSIBLE you wipe off the bird dropping before it can etch the paint. If it does etch the paint, and that depends upon what's in the dropping, you'll likely have to use an aggressive compound to remove the etching. So it's better to be prepared and remove the dropping as soon as it's discovered then to let it dry and potentially cause damage.

What to do if you're too late and the bird dropping has dried...

Looking at the close-up of the bird dropping in the above picture you can see to try to RUBB this off the paint is probably going to scratch the paint. So here's the safe way to remove a dried, petrified bird dropping.

Step 1: Get a clean microfiber towel wet with water and place it on top of the bird dropping.

Step 2: Pour even more water onto the microfiber towel so that the towel is completely wet and saturated.

The secret?

It simple - the towel holds the water onto the dried bird dropping so the water can go do work doing what it does best and that is dissolving and re-liquefying the dried bird dropping. If you simply pour water or spray water onto the dried bird dropping it will simply run off onto the ground.

Step 3: After allowing the water to penetrate for a few minutes (or longer - you be the judge), carefully grab the dropping off the paint and lift the towel up and away. Don't wipe the bird dropping over the paint this could scratch the paint too.

Yuck!

There was some bird dropping residue in the seam of the mirror and for this I used a soft horse hair brush to get it out.

There you go... the safe way to remove a dried bird dropping. I would recommend sacrificing the towel and throwing it away as you don't know what kind of germs or disease the bird may have. It's also a good idea to wear some disposable gloves.

Mike's tip...
    After removing the bird dropping, apply a light polish to the affected area to deep clean the paint and then apply your regular paint protection product. You can also use a one-step cleaner/wax.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast