autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Help match my pads to my polishes for new GG 6''

Hey all,
    I've been around detailing a while but I have not been following many of all these new products that have popped up on the market the past 5 years. Most of my stuff is from back in the day. I started with a PC 7336 but I just got a brand new GG 6'' DA and I was hoping to continue using these older products without having to buy all new ones. I needed help deciding which ones to use, and which pads to use them with. I have a 2 year old car with only 20k or so miles. Paint has still managed to get swirls but does not need a super intense correction. It has only been handwashed in that time. Lots of orange tar dots along the bottom of the doors and rocker panels are the worst of it. I should probably clay or I could just skip that and go to a good polish? Here's a picture of what I have available. Hope this is a fun matching game for everyone.

Megs M105/ M205
    Menzerna's FPII / IP / SF
    Poorboy's SSR 2.5

product page said these were CCS pads:
    Orange / White / Black

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help match my pads to my polishes for new GG 6''

Definitely clay. And before that use Carpro iron-x. M105 and 205 are good but you need more pads. Can’t get a car done properly with one pad of each color. Maybe 5 of each color, orange and white are the most used ones.
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes PaulMys, astro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly?

Probably not what you want to hear, but with the addition of the new GG6 (Great choice!) I would take the rest of the plunge and grab the whole system.

That is, the Griot's creams and matching pads. Zero guesswork (to start).

Then, mix, match, or try new products.

This is just my opinion, and I wish I would have went this route when I first started.

Am I saying Griot's is the be-all and end-all of the detailing world? Of course not, but it is a good baseline to start without having to do 15 experiments like I did. (Pads, products etc.)
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes Bruno Soares, Thomkirby liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Definitely clay. And before that use Carpro iron-x. M105 and 205 are good but you need more pads. Can’t get a car done properly with one pad of each color. Maybe 5 of each color, orange and white are the most used ones.
    What would show on the pad to indicate it is no longer usable until I can get it washed?
    Which polishes should I match to those pads? I can get more pads and the Iron-x but not gonna go $200 deep on new products anytime soon. I think these can do well enough for now and then I'll look into the whole GG system at a later time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00birdy View Post
    What would show on the pad to indicate it is no longer usable until I can get it washed?
    Which polishes should I match to those pads? I can get more pads and the Iron-x but not gonna go $200 deep on new products anytime soon. I think these can do well enough for now and then I'll look into the whole GG system at a later time.
    Well im not an expert or pro... I think what pads match what product has to do with how bad your swirls are (or how aggressive your paint correction needs to be). On this forum they say go with the least aggressive method to achieve max possible correction (or something like that..). Hence a test spot needs to be done to see the least aggressive method possible for the results you want (and this will depend on how much correction your paint needs).
    Generally speaking if there are quite a few swirls a common method people seem to use is: orange LC pad with Meg 105 (compound) and then use the white LC pad with Meg 205 (polish). Then apply a sealant or wax (with the black pad...depending on the wax or sealant).
    A 2 year old paint that hasn't been abused in car washes may not need a correction to that degree...

I'm interested to see what others have to say.
    Im still learning. I'll be tackling my cars soon..they need heavy correction lol...so im using my brand new gg 6 inch with gg fast correcting cream and orange pad first (for the compound) then perfecting cream for the polish (with white LC pad)...ofcourse I'll do a test spot and see what is the least aggressive method to achieve my desired results.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00birdy View Post
    Try 205 with white pad first, if that’s not enough cut then 205 with orange pad. If that’s still not enough you’ll need 105 with orange followed by 205 with white to clean up the haze left by compound.

Using a pad too long makes it lose efficiency due to spent product and removed clear coat accumulating on the pad. It also gets hot due to excess liquid build up and that will lead to pad failure. You can destroy the foam with that much heat. It’s better to have multiple pads and then they’ll last a long time.
    Bruno Soares

9. Likes astro, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    Try 205 with white pad first, if that’s not enough cut then 205 with orange pad. If that’s still not enough you’ll need 105 with orange followed by 205 with white to clean up the haze left by compound.

Using a pad too long makes it lose efficiency due to spent product and removed clear coat accumulating on the pad. It also gets hot due to excess liquid build up and that will lead to pad failure. You can destroy the foam with that much heat. It’s better to have multiple pads and then they’ll last a long time.
    BSoares is correct and great advice. If you are only using one pad you will be stopping often and cleaning it out. Think of doing a panel and then cleaning out the pad. Repeat for each panel depending upon the size of your car. This will not help on the cleaning but do try running that single pad at lower speeds or take more breaks. Pad heat will slowly destroy it, I really destroyed one using a one-step polish and wax product.

Next just from the words of doing a test panel you will have a great idea on which pad you will use most often. A great way to buy them is doing the AG bundles. Price goes down with buying 6-pads and you can mix and match, just watch out for the 20-or-25 percent off and save some money.

Kirby

Post Thanks / Like

I am still searching for the perfect combination. The GG6 is a great machine and Paulie is correct in that the Griots system is the best way to start. They match the product and the pad for you. On the other hand, what fun is that? This hobby/profession is about experimenting and being creative. Looking for that new pad or product turns into a PBMG box on your front porch.