autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

swirl marks temporary or actually gone?

well, guess dealers don't know how to wash cars properly and funny they sell expensive rides and can't get this done right. I got swirl marks on white car which is less noticable then others. Planning on getting porter cable (is this best by the way for swirl marks?) and wondering after polishing is that mean it just temp gone or did remove the swirl marks and its up too me (2 bucket method or touchless wash with foam gun) and will most likely see the swirl marks..

Heard new cars do get swirl marks so don't feel too bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: swirl marks temporary or actually gone?

Polishing will remove swirl marks and scratches permanently, at least until you install some new ones by improper washing or forgetting to tell the dealer not to wash your car.

The Porter- Cable will get the job done but the Griots polisher has a bit more power. You can price match Advance Auto and Autogeek. Advance is running the kit at $159 with a 20% off coupon. AG will match their price and you need more pads (6 minimum) than the one that comes with the kit. With it being a new car a good one step polish should be sufficient to remove all defects.

3. Likes astro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Again, solid advice from rlmccarty and has been my experience as well.

Paint correction is when you cut down very minute amounts of the clearcoat with an abrasive product so as to level the paint surface to the bottom on the scratches. When you do that, the scratches are gone, not covered up.

The tricky part is to then avoid introducing new scratches whenever, as Mike Phillips says, you "touch" the paint by washing and then drying each time. It sounds like you have a good routine of "touchless" washing with your pressure washer but it is inevitable you will get some marring from even a recreational driver over time.

Look at perfecting your wash and dry techniques by working surgically clean and using super light pressure whenever wiping, rubbing and touching your paint.

And, yes, you are right to expect some marring from the dealer before taking delivery. That's more the norm than exception.

When I first started with machine buffing and polishing I got a Porter Cable and I still have it and use it occassionally. At the time (20+ years ago) that was really the only game in town. If I were starting over today and looking for the best beginner DA machine, I would get the Griots Garage DA.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

The Porter- Cable will get the job done but the Griots polisher has a bit more power.

You can price match Advance Auto and Autogeek. Advance is running the kit at $159 with a 20% off coupon.

AG will match their price and you need more pads (6 minimum) than the one that comes with the kit.

I agree with rlmccarty2000

The Griot's 6" ROP is the best in class tool in this category. The category being, 8mm free spinning random orbital polisher. Porter Cable could make their tool better but they just don't care. Griot's has people like Jeff Brown that does care and that's why their tool out performs the Porter Cable.

There's more information in this single article I wrote than you can find in a year on Facebook. Also more information about microfiber pads versus foam pads from a practical point of view than you can find anywhere. Plus links to things you're going to need no matter where you buy your tool fo cheap.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

Scroll down and watch the video too. Best video I've ever been a part of that walks you through the entire process of buffing out a car by machine. The only video that I've ever seen that explains both the why and the how of doing a Test Spot.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

With it being a new car a good one step polish should be sufficient to remove all defects.

Get the product I show here, look at what I did with it.

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

6. Likes Paul A., astro liked this post